Nebraska Town To Vote On Illegal Immigration Measure

Guest SUNTZU

Guest SUNTZU

Neb. town to vote on illegal immigration measure - Yahoo! News

FREMONT, Neb. – Angered by a recent influx of Hispanic workers attracted by jobs at local meatpacking plants, voters in the eastern Nebraska city of Fremont will decide Monday whether to ban hiring or renting property to illegal immigrants.

The vote will be the culmination of a two-year fight that saw proponents collect enough signatures to put the question to a public vote. If the ordinance is approved, the community of 25,000 people could face a long and costly court battle. Either way, the emotions stirred up won't settle quickly.

"Even if we say 'no' ... we still need to say, 'How do we get along with each other now?'" said Kristin Ostrom, who helps oversee a campaign against the measure.

Across the nation, people have been outraged by — and demanded action against — the poor enforcement of federal laws to prevent illegal immigration. A law recently introduced in Arizona requires police to question people on their immigration status if there's a "reasonable suspicion" they are illegal.

A man who helped write the Arizona law is helping to fight for the ordinance in Fremont, which has seen its Hispanic population surge in the past two decades. That increase is largely because they were recruited to work for the Fremont Beef and Hormel plants, and the city maintains an enviably low unemployment rate.

Nonetheless, residents worry that jobs are going to illegal immigrants who they fear could drain community resources.

Clint Walraven, who has lived in Fremont all his 51 years, said the jobs should go to legal residents who are unemployed — something he believes the ordinance would help fix. Discussions on the issue can get heated, he said, particularly if racism is mentioned.

"It has nothing to do with being racist," he said. "We all have to play by the same rules. ... If you want to stay here, get legal."

When he worked at the Hormel plant in the 1980s, Walraven said, he had one Hispanic co-worker.

From about 165 Hispanics — both legal and illegal — living in Fremont in 1990, the total surged to 1,085 in 2000, according to census expert David Drozd at the University of Nebraska at Omaha. He said an estimated 2,060 Hispanics lived there last year. In May, Fremont recorded just 4.9 percent unemployment, in line with the statewide rate and significantly lower than the national average of 9.7 percent.

If approved, the measure will require potential renters to apply for a license to rent. The application process will force Fremont officials to check if the renters are in the country legally. If they are found to be illegal, they will not be issued a license allowing them to rent.

The ordinance also requires businesses to use the federal E-Verify database to ensure employees are allowed to work.

Supporters of the proposal say it's needed to make up for what they see as lax federal law enforcement. Opponents say it could fuel discrimination.

Results are expected Monday night.

Ron Tillery, executive director of the Fremont Chamber of Commerce, which opposes the measure, said businesses are concerned the E-Verify system isn't reliable and that they would be subject to fines if forced to rely on it. He pointed out that the main targets of the ordinance — the Fremont Beef and Hormel plants — would not be covered by it anyway because they are located outside the city.

Walraven said the measure is necessary because workers send their salaries to family in Mexico instead of spending it in the city.

"I understand supporting your family," he said, "But it's very much at our expense. We're footing the bill."

Those costs include spending on education and medical care, said Jerry Hart, a Fremont resident who petitioned for the vote. He said the ordinance would help curb that spending and protect jobs.

He said it would also end the divisiveness that's taken over.

"The division is because the illegal aliens are here and nobody's taken care of it," he said. "If it does not pass, it's going to get worse."

The Fremont Tribune has reported several instances of legal Hispanic residents being told to return to Mexico, including a woman who was shoved and yelled at by an elderly white man in a grocery store.

Hart said he's been called a Nazi.

"Fear is kind of guiding," said Ostrom, adding that frustration about immigration issues nationwide ignites a misconception that all Hispanic immigrants in Fremont are illegal.

Sandra Leffler, 69, who owns a downtown antique store with her husband, Marv, said she knows not all Hispanics are illegal immigrants, but that it's hard not to think that way. She said she scrutinizes her Hispanic customers.

"I have to admit, when I see them come into the store ... I can't help wondering if I'm profiling someone who's completely honest," she said.

The Fremont City Council narrowly rejected a policy similar to the proposed ordinance in 2008, but proponents got it to a public vote and the state Supreme Court refused to block it.

The Nebraska chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union has threatened a lawsuit, and the city worries about the cost of defending the policy. The city has estimated the legal action would cost $1 million per year to fight — costs that would have to be covered by property tax raises and city job cuts.

Kansas City, Mo.-based attorney Kris Kobach, who worked on the Arizona law and has been in legal battles over local ordinances elsewhere, said Valley Park, Mo. paid between $250,000 and $300,000 in legal fees in a similar case. Valley Park, like Fremont, is covered by the 8th Circuit.

State Sen. Charlie Janssen of Fremont, who has said he may introduce an Arizona-style bill in the Legislature next session, said it's unfortunate residents have to decide how to vote amid threats of a lawsuit. He has declined to give his position on the ordinance, saying residents need to decide on their own.

"A vote for or against the ordinance does not make you more or less patriotic," he said in a posting on his legislative blog. "Just as a vote for or against the ordinance does not make you racist or not."

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FREMONT, Neb. – Angered by a recent influx of Hispanic workers attracted by jobs at local meatpacking plants, voters in the eastern Nebraska city of Fremont will decide Monday whether to ban hiring or renting property to illegal immigrants.

Now we're talkin'! This could be real effective if they go out of their way to enforce it.

if this law goes into effect I wonder if the Fed's will sue them over it.

Hopefully this little town along with AZ are just the tip of an iceberg and all other places will follow suit.

The Feds need to either come up with a working solution, or STFU.

Guest 6.8 AR

You expect them to give up their future voting base?

The only thing the Fed needs to do is enforce the existing laws

and send the illegals home. No amnesty, just home.

As bad as I hate to see the loss of anymore jobs, I personally think those meatpacking plants should be shut down if they're found to have even 1 illegal employed there. Companies like that are the reason we have such a problem in the first place. I know several Mexicans in this area that own businesses. From resturants, to hispanic stores, whatever it may be, and they all seem to hire Mexicans that are in this country legally. It's the American businesses that go after the those that are not here legally, and as far as I know all we have to offer is a small fine to those that do so. Simply sending the illegals home will not even begin to fix the problem as long as American businesses are drawing them back into the country in order to get cheap labor. Of course it is a vicious cycle in this country though, because American workers these days refuse to work for what those American companies can afford to pay them, which will just cause those companies to pack up and move out of the country.

You expect them to give up their future voting base?

The only thing the Fed needs to do is enforce the existing laws

and send the illegals home. No amnesty, just home.

Part of their base. Yes, I expect them to lead, follow, or get out of the way.

As bad as I hate to see the loss of anymore jobs, I personally think those meatpacking plants should be shut down if they're found to have even 1 illegal employed there. Companies like that are the reason we have such a problem in the first place. I know several Mexicans in this area that own businesses. From resturants, to hispanic stores, whatever it may be, and they all seem to hire Mexicans that are in this country legally. It's the American businesses that go after the those that are not here legally, and as far as I know all we have to offer is a small fine to those that do so. Simply sending the illegals home will not even begin to fix the problem as long as American businesses are drawing them back into the country in order to get cheap labor. Of course it is a vicious cycle in this country though, because American workers these days refuse to work for what those American companies can afford to pay them, which will just cause those companies to pack up and move out of the country.

Move a meat plant to Mexico? Where are they gonna get cows?

Guest Lester Weevils

I vaguely recall illegal alien issues with chicken plant in Chattanooga area. Don't pay close attention.

Chicken plant is nasty unpleasant work that deserves a pretty decent pay and if it raises the price of chicken, then so be it. Just IMO.

When I was doing social work for awhile in early 1970's, the chicken plant jobs and car wash jobs and such were 'ideal' gigs for people trying to come off welfare, and for unskilled folks getting out of prison Those folks can't just immediately get jobs as brain surgeons or genetic researchers. It isn't fair to take these opportunities away from US citizens, even though they are really crap jobs unless you can't find anything better. They are crap enough jobs to deserve somewhat decent pay, even if they are unskilled.

Guest 6.8 AR

It's already against the law to hire a worker in the US illegally. They don't have a SSN, do they? There are protections that

can be used without shutting an American business down. It's called enforcing illegal immigration and penalizing companies

that aid and abet criminals by their employment practices.

I vaguely recall illegal alien issues with chicken plant in Chattanooga area. Don't pay close attention.

Chicken plant is nasty unpleasant work that deserves a pretty decent pay and if it raises the price of chicken, then so be it. Just IMO.

When I was doing social work for awhile in early 1970's, the chicken plant jobs and car wash jobs and such were 'ideal' gigs for people trying to come off welfare, and for unskilled folks getting out of prison Those folks can't just immediately get jobs as brain surgeons or genetic researchers. It isn't fair to take these opportunities away from US citizens, even though they are really crap jobs unless you can't find anything better. They are crap enough jobs to deserve somewhat decent pay, even if they are unskilled.

I just hope they didn't allow registered sex offenders to work in the chicken plant :rolleyes:

Move a meat plant to Mexico? Where are they gonna get cows?

I didn't say the meat plant would move to Mexico, I was talking about companies in general. The current owners of the meat plant should be stripped of their business license and someone that's more responsible should be able to take the place over.

It's already against the law to hire a worker in the US illegally. They don't have a SSN, do they? There are protections that

can be used without shutting an American business down. It's called enforcing illegal immigration and penalizing companies

that aid and abet criminals by their employment practices.

I'm aware of all of this, but the simple fact is that the penalties to the employers are nowhere near good enough to deter them from hiring illegals. The costs of the penalties are more than offset by the length of time that they can get away with hiring cheap illegal labor, and also causes them to want to hire even more in the future to make up for what they lost when they got caught. Then on top of that, they are taught important lessons on how to get away with hiring illegals in the future by looking back at what lead them to get caught the first time.

I say it should be plain and simple. Hire illegal aliens, and get permanently stripped of your business license.

Guest 6.8 AR

There was a good system that, if enforced would have stopped hiring illegals. The requirement

for companies to check prospective employees against Social Security status can work, if allowed

to, and fine those companies caught hiring illegals, but fine them heavily. There will always be

fraud and criminality, but it could minimize the problem. I don't know if it is being used or

enforced anymore. It was showing results. It, like any good legislation, probably got canned

with this administration. It also was a good tool for identifying illegals.

Otherwise, if they won't enforce the existing laws, I'll have to agree with your statement about

losing their business license.

There was a good system that, if enforced would have stopped hiring illegals. The requirement

for companies to check prospective employees against Social Security status can work, if allowed

to, and fine those companies caught hiring illegals, but fine them heavily. There will always be

fraud and criminality, but it could minimize the problem. I don't know if it is being used or

enforced anymore. It was showing results. It, like any good legislation, probably got canned

with this administration. It also was a good tool for identifying illegals.

Otherwise, if they won't enforce the existing laws, I'll have to agree with your statement about

losing their business license.

I think it may all boil down to enforcement in the end. Way too many already existing laws are not being enforced these days. Those in charge of enforcing them would rather do nothing than to have to deal with the hassle, especially where any certain race may be concerned. Just like here in town, when they cracked down on illegal aliens recently it caused a big uproar from the Hispanics in this area. Apparently it's easier to just drop the issue and stop enforcing the laws than it is to have to deal with that kind of thing. Half the time the courts don't help much either in these cases because certain business owners know the right people, or some other crap that makes those trying to enforce these laws feel like they are wasting their time.

Guest SUNTZU

Nebraska city's controversial immigration rule passes - CNN.com

(CNN) -- Voters in Fremont, Nebraska passed a much-debated measure Monday that would prohibit businesses and landlords from hiring or renting to people who are in the United States illegally.

Election workers told CNN affiliate KETV in Omaha that the unofficial results were 3,906 in favor to 2,908 against the measure; Workers said the turnout was 45.7 percent of registered voters. The results have not been certified.

Ordinance 5165 had divided the community and put the city, just outside Omaha, into national headlines.

A local organization decried the ordinance on its website.

"It is with great disappointment and sadness that tonight we acknowledge a majority of Fremont voters approving this misguided ordinance," the group called One Fremont-One Future said. "In reality, the passage of this ordinance shows that we have much work to do in our community to educate, break down barriers, and build relationships."

Fremont officials told KETV that they have plans in place that involve cuts in city services and tax increases to pay for legal fees associated with the passing of the ordinance.

The American Civil Liberties Union has indicated that it will file a lawsuit -- pending approval by its board.

While the ordinance passed, precedent shows that it will likely be struck down and face years of legal battles.

Read more about the vote at CNN affiliate KETV

Similar measures were passed in Hazelton, Pennsylvania, and Farmers Branch, Texas, but they were later struck down by the courts.

In Hazelton, voters in 2006 approved a measure to enact practically the same law that Fremont is looking to take up. But in July 2007, a federal judge found that immigration laws should be left solely to the federal government.

In May of 2008, a federal judge ruled the Farmers Branch measure, which would bar landlords from renting to illegal immigrants, was unconstitutional.

"Those ordinances did not withstand legal scrutiny. They both failed in the courts when they were challenged," said Laurel Marsh, executive director of Nebraska's ACLU.

The reason according to Marsh: Both laws violated the Supremacy Clause and the 14th Amendment. Under the Supremacy Clause in Article VI of the U.S. Constitution, state courts may not supersede federal law.

In addition, she said, it's the federal government's responsibility to set immigration policy and "we are not well-served when communities or states try to set policy on their own."

Gregory Minchak of the National League of Cities said that it's the lack of federal immigration policy that is causing these states to take matters into their own hands.

"Because of the absence of the feds doing anything, there's a lot of financial, cultural, political strains that are occurring [in cities and states]," he said. "They are just starting to act on their own."

So it passed, but then again it did not. There shouldn't even have to be votes on this kind of thing since alot of these laws are already in place and covered by the fact that we're talking about people who are here illegally. Anyone that gives aid to them in the form of money, employment, housing, transportation, or anything else should be treated as an accomplice to the crime. Heck they're even there when the crime is taking place, because every second that someone is in this country illegally they are committing a crime.

Guest friesepferd

it baffles me how someone can be against this law b/c of 'discrimination'.

discrimination by itself is not wrong. Racial, sexual, religious discrimination... yes. but not criminal discrimination.

guess what! if you kill someone and are caught, you are going to jail! they discriminate who goes to jail and who doesnt.

Guest Glock23ForMe

"That's profiling because they were pulling over every car on that particular sidewalk"

This comes to mind talking about criminal discrimination... If you're doing something bad, you're gonna get caught... Hopefully...

Guest friesepferd
"That's profiling because they were pulling over every car on that particular sidewalk"

This comes to mind talking about criminal discrimination... If you're doing something bad, you're gonna get caught... Hopefully...

rofl. exactly!

Guest 6.8 AR
it baffles me how someone can be against this law b/c of 'discrimination'.

discrimination by itself is not wrong. Racial, sexual, religious discrimination... yes. but not criminal discrimination.

guess what! if you kill someone and are caught, you are going to jail! they discriminate who goes to jail and who doesnt.

It's because the people against this legislation have been spoon fed

propaganda all their lives and they believe it, especially knowing they

are not smart enough to think for themselves.