AR Bolt broke.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 6.8 AR

What does the case look like? What kind of ammo? Anything else get damaged? Better pics wouldn't hurt and some of the barrel extension.

I was shooting some wolf I had from the last time at the range...... I will never buy that stuff again. The round never fired the bolt broke and got stuck I had to pick the broken piece out of the gun after I cleared the unfired round. And it's not a 5.56 it's a 7.62X39 upper. Nothing else was damaged just the bolt. The Gun has maybe 300 rounds through it :)

The info starts at post 10. There are some other good links as well. Looks like that round in the AR's has a history of breaking lugs like yours.

Accuracy/reliability of DPMS AR in 7.62x39? - TheFiringLine Forums

Sounds like there just isn't enough material on the edges to take the pounding. If you keep that upper, might be a good idea to have a spare bolt in the box.

That or look at that LMT bolt in that link I posted. Looks strong and they altered the lugs at the stress points. I don't know what J&T will do. If they are a quality company and the rifle is relatively new, they should send a new bolt. I would then put it in the box and buy that LMT or see about one from a quality vendor like 6.8s post and get one of those for the day to day shooting, especially using the Wolf and other Russian stuff.

Thank you got the link... thats about spot on for my issues I am having bad primer strikes to so thats both of my issues with my rifle... I only have to primer issues with wolf I shot remington ammo and it was great no problem at all. I think I will look into trying to find a bolt setup like the one on the post.

J&T should take of it. I have a friend who bought a DoubleStar from JT and the first shot the bolt locked up. After removing the bolt from the rifle it turns out the gas rings cracked. He took it up to them and they pulled the bolt out, threw it in a 5 gallon bucket, and gave him a new one.

Breaks like that do happen, nothing new. I have personally seen it a few times and have red about it dozens of times. I have never heard of it with quality parts though I am sure it happens there also. It isn't caused by faluty or overloaded ammo if that is the only thing that broke. Now if the magazine, upper as well as the bolt carrier decided to come apart then I would say it was ammo but in this case I think it was just a matter of the part just breaking. The cause, could be a few things, overuse and just worn out, bolt not a milspec part or maybe just a freak of nature not really sure.

Hope J&T does right by you and definitely keep us posted on the outcome.

Dolomite

Wolf is generally a little underpowered, so it shouldn't stress parts as much as other domestic factory ammo. I've shot thousands of rounds of Wolf through my AK's and never had an issue with any of it. AR's on the other hand do and I believe it is because they tend to open a 5.56 bolt face up to accept other calibers.

BTW - go with the upgrade.