looking to upgrade from SW99c to M&P40c

S&WForty

Does anyone here have experience going from the SW99/990 line to a M&P? I own a SW99QA (DOA trigger like a Glock), and I have a compact 990L that is the same trigger as the "QA."

The last three times I shot the 990L, I shot terrible (turrible, per Charles Barkley :) ). I wish I had carried my fullsize QA along with me to see if my shot placement with it degraded, too, but I have always grouped the fullsize a lot better than the smaller pistol.

Two outings back, I picked up my friend's G27, and in one shot, I hit the bullseye. For them to feel so "blocky" in my hand, they shoot incredibly.

Last weekend, I shot another friend's XD40. The trigger felt a lot longer, but the lower effort at the breakover point had me grouping a lot tighter once I was used to the longer pull. My friend said my SW felt like hitting a brick wall at the breakover point. My hits are down at the 7-8 o'clock position, so I think I am pushing my aim off when I fight the trigger.

Even though I shot well with the XD, I just find them top-heavy, and they look it. I never really liked that long trigger pull, or to me what felt like a long pull.

Two years ago or so, I met a co-worker and her husband at a range. This was when I only had my fullsize 99QA. I shot it well, but my co-worker's G23 was "easier" to shoot more accurately, and her husband's fullsize M&P40 felt "smoother" than my 99QA.

I will look for a M&P40c to rent, and my friend said he'll let me borrow his G27 for the comparison, too. I am not sure if I want to try to rent a XD40c or not.

I am curious if anyone here has gone from the SW99 DOA trigger to a M&P and what your thoughts were. I kinda want to be mentally armed and dangerous before I rent a few pistols, so hopefully I can have a more subjective comparison.

I am also curious if anyone has had any trigger work performed by a gunsmith on a SW99 DOA trigger. I love the look and feel of it, but when everything else I put in my hand shoots better, I just stand there and shake my head...

I hope when I rent a M&P40c, I have this feeling of "this is the one," but who knows. From two years back, I just remember it felt a lot like my SW99, but "smoother."

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have full size M&P40 for sale,w Apex DCAEK trigger kit and 4 mags - a few months old and mint shape

I have not advertised it yet but saw you were in Mem so why not mention it......If your interested in the fullsize

PM me for pics and price - ...........sorry to highjack

I've had a couple Walther P99QA's, several Glock's, XD's, and currently carry my second M&P9. The QA trigger is rather heavy and long compared to the M&P. The reset is also noticeably different longer. The QA is more a true DA feel where the M&P/Glock is more single action feeling. This is probably the reason it was much easier to shoot the Glock's. There are some spring changes you can do to the 99QA, but you usually end up having light primer strike issues. There is also no way to fix the reset. While I really like the Walther P99 series, it is a European gun made with a Euro trigger. I will say that the Walther versions are MUCH smoother than the S&W 99's. I know they are supposed to be the same, but they are not. Also, getting a few hundred round through the gun will greatly improve the trigger. They need a lot of shooting to smooth out to their best potential.

As far as gunsmith work on the 99, good luck. The linkage is fairly complex and I don't know of any who will work on it or can work on it.

I've had a couple Walther P99QA's, several Glock's, XD's, and currently carry my second M&P9. The QA trigger is rather heavy and long compared to the M&P. The reset is also noticeably different longer. The QA is more a true DA feel where the M&P/Glock is more single action feeling. This is probably the reason it was much easier to shoot the Glock's. There are some spring changes you can do to the 99QA, but you usually end up having light primer strike issues. There is also no way to fix the reset. While I really like the Walther P99 series, it is a European gun made with a Euro trigger. I will say that the Walther versions are MUCH smoother than the S&W 99's. I know they are supposed to be the same, but they are not. Also, getting a few hundred round through the gun will greatly improve the trigger. They need a lot of shooting to smooth out to their best potential.

As far as gunsmith work on the 99, good luck. The linkage is fairly complex and I don't know of any who will work on it or can work on it.

I appreciate the comments. I think you just solved for me why I shot the Glock so much better with your "QA is more a true DA feel." I was not looking to find those comments about gunsmith work! But at least you have an excellent comparison and experience with the QA and the M&P! I look forward to getting my hands on one.

shspanthers, thanks for the offer. I don't think I'll be up there anytime soon.