how many questions on HCP test

have you read this thread or am I missing something?

well yea, i have read it both ways. Kinda hard to know who is joking and who is not.

By all means, how many times have we read a story where someone shot themself while cleaning their gun because they did not know it was loaded.

As simple as it is to check to see if a gun is loaded, I could image the class going into details of wanting people to know how to fully clean and care for their gun.

I am just going to go to class, pay attention, and do what is expected.

And before class, I will know how to fully clean the pistol I am taking whether or not I need to know it for the class or not, as it it something I should know anyways for both Dad's pistol and any future pistols I plan to own.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its 30 questions. As we went through the course material our instructor would tell us "this is on the test".

Is a breeze.

The correct terms should be "You should remember this". Never say This is one the test.......... that could get your instructor in trouble.

Anything that is repeated more than twice you should remember. There are other ways that people make a point to get you to remember something.

Guest TargetShooter84

My test had essays....all 30 questions in essays....its the new test procedure now....

Good luck with that....:rolleyes:

:)

Guest Glock23ForMe

Question 1: Write at least 500 Words describing, in detail, how you will disassemble, reassemble and clean your firearm. Also, provide a 400 word summary on the gun's specific functions from trigger pull to firing and ejecting and loading the proper cartridges.

They just changed it. GOOOOOOOD LUCK!!!

Disclaimer: The above is a joke, if anyone had to do this, most would fail, honestly, I know I would have.

Guest Phantom6

There are only 30 questions on the test so you can not miss many and pass. No one has ever failed the test in my class. I always stomp my foot three times and say something like "now, you may see this again someplace today" prior to repeating the important bit of information. You will see one of two possible tests in your class. One is Test A and the other is of course, Test B. Now I'll let you in on a closely guarded secret- they are both the same except that on Test A the 15 True-False questions are first and the 15 multiple choice questions follow. On Test B, the order is reversed.

My favorite question on the test is No. 14 on Test B- You should ask yourself which of the following before using deadly force. Your choices of answers are as follows: a. does the perpetrator have a gun? b. will I be sued and can I explain my actions to a jury? c. does the purpetrator have the access to kill or injure me and has my level of fear risen to the level where deadly force is justifiable? and (my personal favorite) d.can I shoot the perpetrator and get away with it?

Whenever I give this test I can always tell when students have reached this question by the inevitable chuckle that comes up along the tables in the classroom.

I am signed up for my class now. I will be a card carding member soon. Yes I know, Class, DMV, finger printing, wait 3-6 weeks of running down the mailman, woman, carrier looking for my permit.

Going to go practice up Dad's tomorrow, get some more target practice in.

I am signed up for my class now. I will be a card carding member soon. Yes I know, Class, DMV, finger printing, wait 3-6 weeks of running down the mailman, woman, carrier looking for my permit.

Going to go practice up Dad's tomorrow, get some more target practice in.

take a pill and enjoy shooting at your Dad's. Don't waste you time practicing for your HCP class. Practice trigger control and focusing on the front sight.

Guest Glock23ForMe

The thing that took me from 8,9 and inside to 9 and inside on the B27 target was this (learned from my Ex's Dad): Every shot is a surprise. Pull the trigger the same every time, and don't anticipate recoil. If you are surprised every time by the recoil, it will go exactly where you put it.

About the only way to fail and not get your HCP is to be a felon or be totally brain dead.

I passed it and so should 99% of the people who take the test.

Do not worry, know your firearm, listen to the instructor(s) and pay attention to the video. Do not get over excited about the shooting portion either. Really simple and easy test.

Good luck and ease up! :D

My mom had about as much to do with teaching me to shoot long guns as did my dad but she hasn't as much experience with handguns. At first, her grip and stance were pretty bad but I worked with her to help her find a more proper stance/grip that she could be comfortable with. To my knowledge, she had never shot at an indoor range before deciding to take the HCP class. My wife's only experience with handguns until recently was pretty much shooting my .22 pistol. Mom took the HCP class a few months back and my wife took it in May. Before each of them took the class, I took them to the range where they would be taking the class and had them practice the shooting portion roughly the way our instructor conducted it. Mostly, this was to help them feel more comfortable and confident.

Because she has trouble racking the slide on a semiauto (even my S&W 22A) my wife took the class with a Rossi .357 snubnosed revolver loaded with .38 Specials and passed it pretty handily. Her only knowledge of firearms prior to the class was pretty much what I have taught her (poor thing.) She missed a couple of questions on the written part but passed that pretty easily, too. My mom took the class with her Hi-Point 9mm (she actually shoots it better than my .22) and was, apparently, the best shot in her group - she passed with ease. She was more nervous about the written portion because she says she has never tested well. She missed one question, iirc. Mom now has a Kel Tec P32 for carry and is a pretty impressive shot with the little fellah.

You'll be fine.

BTW, my mom's HCP took a couple of months to arrive but my wife's arrived in the mail one day short of three weeks after she was fingerprinted, etc.

Edited by JAB