Smoky Mountain National Park carry question:

I realize it is legal to carry here now but I wonder about carrying everywhere in the park. More to the point are there any buildings (like Sugarlands visitor center) or specific areas where carrying is a no-no?

I assume such areas will be posted but I wanted to ask before I went there.

Thanks,

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize it is legal to carry here now but I wonder about carrying everywhere in the park. More to the point are there any buildings (like Sugarlands visitor center) or specific areas where carrying is a no-no?

I assume such areas will be posted but I wanted to ask before I went there.

Thanks,

Carry in federal buildings has not changed, still banned.

Federal buildings may or may not have postings.

Post offices generally don't, for example.

- OS

(Smack my head and say "Duh")

It did not click, till now, that a building in a National Park is a Federal Building. Does that mean any structure? Say a bathroom within the park?

I have asked the same question.

Definition of a federal building from federal code:

"The term "Federal facility" means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties."

I guess a "federal employees" are "regularly present" to clean up the bathrooms?

Then again, maybe this is contracted out to non-federal company.

Who knows? Weapons laws are grayer than most.

- OS

(Smack my head and say "Duh")

It did not click, till now, that a building in a National Park is a Federal Building. Does that mean any structure? Say a bathroom within the park?

The law says they are supposed to be posted with a notice that they are a federal buidling.

When I went to Big Bend National Park in TX this April, the vistors center there did have such a sign.

Guest 6.8 AR

I wouldn't necessarily call the greeting center a federal building. That might require

further inquiry. I think, unless it is marked as such, it is just part of the park. There

might be something on the website. I just found it!

"Federal law also prohibits firearms in certain facilities in this park; those places are marked with signs at all public entrances."

Hope that helps

• 2 weeks later...

well check this thread, same location, Cades Cove

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handgun-carry-self-defense/42176-gsmnp-building-clearly-posted-you-make-call.html

Look how poorly marked the building is, the guy had to wait for people to walk away before he he take a picture. The sign was not even near the no smoking, no pets sign.

There is no standard way to mark a posted location, which makes it to easy for a person to mis a sign even when watching for them in some cases.

I don't go to the GSMNP to hang around the buildings anyway...

Edit: What I want to know is how long will it take for them to remove all the postings at the trailheads? I don't open carry, but several miles into a sweaty hike is probably not the time I'm going to think too much about concealment. I've been up there several times this year and I wouldn't want anyone I come across to be confused if they see me printing a little.

Edited by JReedEsq
I don't go to the GSMNP to hang around the buildings anyway...

Edit: What I want to know is how long will it take for them to remove all the postings at the trailheads? I don't open carry, but several miles into a sweaty hike is probably not the time I'm going to think too much about concealment. I've been up there several times this year and I wouldn't want anyone I come across to be confused if they see me printing a little.

I hiked on easter up to LeCont open carrying and didn't have one comment from anyone on the trail. Even if someone saw me, what are they going to do? You are a couple of miles up the trail and doing nothing illegal. Let the worry warts worry and you go about enjoying your hike. At worst, you will have to talk to a park ranger some point for a minute. I have yet to met a PR who is not a really nice person.

Matthew

I hiked on easter up to LeCont open carrying and didn't have one comment from anyone on the trail. Even if someone saw me, what are they going to do? You are a couple of miles up the trail and doing nothing illegal. Let the worry warts worry and you go about enjoying your hike. At worst, you will have to talk to a park ranger some point for a minute. I have yet to met a PR who is not a really nice person.

Matthew

You're at least the 2nd or 3rd person who's told me they've been open carrying up there with no issues.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently went down part of the Blue Ridge Parkway (started at Mabry Mill) and on into the GSMNP. The Mabry Mill gift shop/restaurant is not posted, but its employees are in plain clothes so it's probably not considered a NPS federal building. I didn't stop at every building on the Parkway but the following were clearly posted: Blue Ridge Music Center, Doughton Park Information Center and Doughton Park Coffee shop, Moses H. Cone Manor, Linville Falls Visitor Center, Museum of North Carolina Minerals Visitor Center.

In the GSMNP the road to Clingman's Dome has been repaved and some remodeling has occurred at the parking area. There are new pit toilets there, and what was the restroom has been remade into an Information Center/Gift shop. Even though every employee in the Information Center was either a ranger or wearing a National Park Service polo and the sign in the window has National Park Service language and logo, it is not posted.

smokies0710b022a.jpg

smokies0710b023.jpg

smokies0710b024a.jpg

smokies0710b025.jpg

If a building is operated by a private company inside the park service, it doesn't have to be posted, but evidently the Park Service suggested that they all post (which is why the buildings at the top of Mt. LeCont are posted I am guessing...) So that gift shop may be operated by a private company that chose not to post.

It would be really nice if the congressman/senator who started the whole bill would bring forth another one that exempted federal buildings in Parks. And then Postal buildings. I mean, how does Heller not protect us against this crap?

It would be really nice if the congressman/senator who started the whole bill would bring forth another one that exempted federal buildings in Parks. And then Postal buildings. I mean, how does Heller not protect us against this crap?

Heller decision had nothing to say about carrying weapons.

- OS

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cheez
I am going to the Smoky Mountains in a few weeks. I suppose that after reading this I should leave the gun at home.;)

I'm going up there this weekend to get married. My gun will be with me at all times. :P