Mama Deer protecting her fawn from a cat and dog

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing. I once saw a doe chasing a coyote but it was not a time of year when there would have been any young. I bet that dog went home with several hurts. Could not figure out if the cat was just curious or looking for a place to start chewing. Momma did not seem too concern about the cat til it swatted at her. Thanks for posting.

oldogy

It hurts me just to see what happens to that poor dog in the video. When I was a little kid - like four or five - someone gave my grandparent's an orphaned fawn. They raised it and it lived at their house for a few years. Once it was grown, the darned thing used to come up behind me and attack me for no reason - standing on its hind legs and pawing me just like that mamma deer did to that dog. I hated that damn thing.

When I was in my early teens, someone gave them another. They raised it and it, too, lived in their yard for years. When it was grown, it tried that 'sneaking up behind and pawing' crap on me. Once. I saw it out of the corner of my eye and laid a haymaker upside it's head. Since it was standing on its hind legs, it couldn't do anything to move out of the way. Thing went over on it's back, wallowed around for a few seconds, got up stunned and never tried that crap on me, again.

Edited by JAB

when I was driving into Norris yesterday a doe ran across in front of me just as I was entering the wooded area. I have seen deer there many times and they always seem to be in groups. So I stopped and waited a second before going on. All the sudden a fawn went across the road, it looked about the size of the one in this video. It probably did not come up to my knees ( in size). It tried to jump up the hill like the doe had done. It face planted three times then stopped and looked at me in the truck. The mama was looking at me. So I threw it in reverse and backed up about twenty feet to allow the baby access to a gravel driveway. It walked right up to the driveway and rejoined mama. It was pretty neat to see.

when I was driving into Norris yesterday a doe ran across in front of me just as I was entering the wooded area. I have seen deer there many times and they always seem to be in groups. So I stopped and waited a second before going on. All the sudden a fawn went across the road, it looked about the size of the one in this video. It probably did not come up to my knees ( in size). It tried to jump up the hill like the doe had done. It face planted three times then stopped and looked at me in the truck. The mama was looking at me. So I threw it in reverse and backed up about twenty feet to allow the baby access to a gravel driveway. It walked right up to the driveway and rejoined mama. It was pretty neat to see.

Yep, Mike, there is nothing cuter than a fawn and momma------except when they're in my garden............And the cute way they look at me when I tell them I am going to eat venison if they don't get out ........and they know I'm fibbing.

But this was all before the electric fence:D

oldogy

Guest BEARMAN
I saw it out of the corner of my eye and laid a haymaker upside it's head. Since it was standing on its hind legs, it couldn't do anything to move out of the way. Thing went over on it's back, wallowed around for a few seconds, got up stunned and never tried that crap on me, again.

So JAB, is that where your username comes from? JK. :):):)

Heh - I have always thought it was kind of funny that my initials spell 'jab'.

Mike, your story made me think of something my wife and I saw a couple of years ago when going to visit my mom. There is a road on the way to my mom's house is on a ridge and is curvy and slopes up. A few years back some folks built a house on the ridge, back off of the road, and their concrete driveway has a very steep angle. Well, it was late afternoon (still kind of early for deer to be moving about but I guess no one told them that) and we came upon a mother deer and her fawn in the road right at the bottom of that driveway. We slowed almost to a stop in case one of them ran in front of us. The mother (obviously hoping to draw attention from her tiny, spindly-legged, spotted fawn) ran down the bluff to our right. The fawn attempted to run up the driveway. I say attempted because it's little hooves could not get good traction on the driveway. It ended up running for all it was worth but running in place - not getting anywhere. After a couple of attempts, it finally caught traction and headed up the driveway. My wife and I still laugh about that from time to time, today.

+100 Mike.