Five Gun Myths That Can be Blamed on the Movies

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest coldblackwind

I'm inclined to disagree on the suppressor one. I've seen supressed weapons where the bolt/slide actually made more noise than the round firing did, in person, not on tv, and more than once. The youtube video he showed sounded more like the crack made by using supersonic ammo in a silenced gun, its not the powder, its the bullet breaking the sound barrier. Also, they tend to use small handguns in those scenes because, well, if you're being sneaky, a small handgun is just plain easier to conceal.

I'm inclined to disagree on the suppressor one. I've seen supressed weapons where the bolt/slide actually made more noise than the round firing did, in person, not on tv, and more than once. The youtube video he showed sounded more like the crack made by using supersonic ammo in a silenced gun, its not the powder, its the bullet breaking the sound barrier. Also, they tend to use small handguns in those scenes because, well, if you're being sneaky, a small handgun is just plain easier to conceal.

I gotta agree to some extent. He also mentions the 2 liter bottle in the movie Shooter, but doesn't mention the fact that in this particular part of the movie the rifle being silenced is a .22. I've never tried it, but I think the 2 liter bottle method on a .22 would do a decent enough job of keeping the noise down some.

I gotta agree to some extent. He also mentions the 2 liter bottle in the movie Shooter, but doesn't mention the fact that in this particular part of the movie the rifle being silenced is a .22. I've never tried it, but I think the 2 liter bottle method on a .22 would do a decent enough job of keeping the noise down some.

There's a mechanic I work with that uses a .22 with a "suppressor" made with steel wool and a 2 litre bottle and ducttape for critters and varmits. Stuffs the steel wool in as tight as he can and then sticks a metal rod through it. Haven't heard it fire yet but those who have said it sounds like those "snap-n-pop" toy things you toss on the ground.

There's a mechanic I work with that uses a .22 with a "suppressor" made with steel wool and a 2 litre bottle and ducttape for critters and varmits. Stuffs the steel wool in as tight as he can and then sticks a metal rod through it. Haven't heard it fire yet but those who have said it sounds like those "snap-n-pop" toy things you toss on the ground.

BTW - That is a highly illegal NFA violation. I wouldn't advertise it or admit to even knowing people who might do that.:D

The only one I think they left out was the innate ability of movie protagonist to shoot one handed from behind cover at 100 yrds with a .380 and make on shot head-shots or to be able to hit an arm, leg, or gun at will.:shrug:

The only one I think they left out was the innate ability of movie protagonist to shoot one handed from behind cover at 100 yrds with a .380 and make on shot head-shots...

I can do that... if you give me a few hundred rounds and about 30 minutes... :shrug:

Guest Glock23ForMe

That article is really nice... And pretty funny at times, namely... (Silencer Portion)

... It still sounds like a freaking handgun. It does not make a soft phut that you could mistake for a kitten landing on a pillow . . .
B)
I can do that... if you give me a few hundred rounds and about 30 minutes... :cool:

I'll take 150 rounds and 15 minutes....