First OC experience...

Guest Newbie

Guest Newbie

I got my HCP last year and have been CC'ing. Not out of fear, but out of convenience. I never tuck my shirt in..... till this day.

My wife was out of town and I was going to meet her and her sister to pick her up. I decided to dress nicely since I hadn't seen her in a week. Nice jeans, button up shirt, OWB glock 23 in a retention holster.

I stopped at a gas station for a drink. I've been going there for 5 years and have talked to the guy that runs it every time I'm in. He was working and he glanced down, his eyes got huge and took a double take. He said "ah, a gun, eh?" I said "yeah". He says jokingly " you got a permit for that? Only kidding." I tell him I do, that I carry all the time, but he's never noticed because I always have my shirt untucked. He didn't flinch at the fact that I've been carrying there for almost a year.

He did make a face though and I asked "what's up, you don't like them?" He said "no, I don't like guns. I could never kill anyone." By this time another customer came up and I'd already paid so I just said "well I just carry it for protection. I don't ever want to kill anyone either and hope I never have to use it, but you never know." I just said see ya, and left without giving him much of a chance to respond.

I've been in there a few times since and he's been just as nice as always, so I don't think it bothers him. Not that it would change my carrying. I'd just go somewhere else, but you hate to give someone else your measly "drink and a snack" 2-3 days a week business after 5 years....

Oddly, I felt a little upset about the whole thing and immediately untucked my shirt in the car. Of course, my wife had no idea what happened till later when I picked her up.

I know I shouldn't care and generally don't about the "public", but I read that you should OC somewhere that people know you and you've been going for a while so you'll be more comfortable to start out. But, it may have backfired here.

I'll probably do it again, been having discussions with my wife. Just thought I'd share.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 6.8 AR

The next time you see him, keep talking to him. That's how people learn. I've had the

same kinds of conversations, and sometimes they appreciate it.

i figure my first OC will be a place they know me, where I have also been going for year so if they see it they won't panic, probably the same thought process you had.

However I dont' have my HCP yet. SO I am not carrying at all yet.

Guest Knightsr25

When I first started oc in memphis I was questioned by many people . Some were just trying to be helpful, they informed me that my 1911 Kimber was cocked . lol I always use the same logic when speaking with them . I politely ask if they would feel more at ease if I pinned on a badge .

Guest Newbie
You'll likely learn have second thoughts about that at some point.

Also, I'd wager, your screen name. :up:

- OS

Haha, I just made it up last year when I got my permit and found the site. Without getting into the OC/CC debate, she is of the opinion that she doesn't want me to be targeted while OC'ing if a BG starts something. More protective of me than anything. I can appreciate that.

Now if I can get her to get her HCP. She says she'll take the class and get it, but just to "learn how to shoot the gun and use it at home" and "I'll never carry outside the house, there's no need". I'm working on her....

I guess the whole thing could have been worse, but turned out well. Maybe next time I go in I'll ask what his plans are for defense if he's ever robbed. I'd like to think after 5 years of knowing I've been there with a gun mutliple times that I'M not going to rob him. Maybe that'll strike up antoher conversation.

Guest jackdm3
He said "no, I don't like guns. I could never kill anyone."

There's little in gun debate that leaves me more incensed than that! Why don't they simplify it with, "Please, sir. Kill me first and then have at it with my wife. You've earned it, I'm sure."

I had the exact same problem with my wife... She loves to go and shoot (much better target shooter than I am)... Went and got our HCP's together years ago... But she never could get in the habit of carrying a pistol with her all the time...

Well earlier this year all that changed, a couple who are good friends of ours had an incident in their front yard... my wife's opinion was it was probably an attempted kidnapping of the young lady or worse...

The very next day she asked to borrow my KelTec P3AT and started carrying it everywhere she goes... I had to go out and buy a new KelTec for myself :screwy:

It only took 1 experience for her to change her mind on carrying a firearm.

Haha, I just made it up last year when I got my permit and found the site. Without getting into the OC/CC debate, she is of the opinion that she doesn't want me to be targeted while OC'ing if a BG starts something. More protective of me than anything. I can appreciate that.

Now if I can get her to get her HCP. She says she'll take the class and get it, but just to "learn how to shoot the gun and use it at home" and "I'll never carry outside the house, there's no need". I'm working on her....

I guess the whole thing could have been worse, but turned out well. Maybe next time I go in I'll ask what his plans are for defense if he's ever robbed. I'd like to think after 5 years of knowing I've been there with a gun mutliple times that I'M not going to rob him. Maybe that'll strike up antoher conversation.

Guest Caveman

Although my situation is a bit different, I believe it is relevant to your experience. I have CCed in my store for a long time. I have many regulars that are very friendly to me and I them. About a year ago, robberies in my general vicinity shot through the roof. I began OCing as a deterrent for would-be robbers scouting my store. Of course, my customers started noticing said OC and the worst I got was, "you carry a gun?" They already knew me and knew I was a nice guy, so although it took them by surprise, they did not run out of my store screaming "the streets are going to run read with the blood of the innocent!" Since I started OCing in my store I have had many discussions with scared but curious people. One in particular started shooting and eventually bought a pistol for home defense through my information. He will be taking his HCP class sometime soon.

I've never OC'd except once or twice in my office. No one's ever said a word about it accept a client who told me it was a good idea based on some of my other clients. It was a civil client, nice guy, then he patted his coat and said "you can't be too careful these days". The only other time I've thought about OC would be for convenience when I'm hiking in the Smokies. With CC, I'm limited to a pocket gun because I wear my kid in a backpack so I can't do anything on the belt. I won't OC anytime soon though because the signs haven't been updated since the new law became effective. As long as the old signs are up, I won't OC because I don't want any misunderstandings.

Edited by JReedEsq
Guest FHTMcrt

I've had my HCP for a couple of years and the only time I open carry is when I'm out on my tractor or when I open the door to a visitor whom I don't know well. Neighbors up and down the road and on either side of me have been in and out of jail for various reasons and I want them to know that my wife and I are armed. To them, I am "...the dude in the brick house." so I feel somewhat vulnerable. The sheriff told me when we moved here that the quickest likely response time would be 20 minutes, so, obviously, we're on our own.

I carry when I leave the property, but not openly. Don't see ANY point in it and I prefer having the element of surprise if TSHTF.

I open carry, just not much because I'm always either at work or a bar. I know about the new law and everything but me, if I'm goin' to a bar I'm gonna be drinkin'. As far as the element of surprise argument I don't feel it's all that valid. The argument you always hear is about being in a gas station and some guy robs it and shoots you first because he can see that you have a gun. Given that most gas stations robberies do not involve a large amount of planning, and that multiple gas stations are usually located in clusters around interstate exits or high traffic areas I can't see that situation playing out that way. If someone is gonna rob a gas station and sees a guy with a gun, I think the odds are that he'll decide he's gonna walk across the street and rob the other gas station.

Guest sammyboy

I OC'd a few nights ago inside walmart. Didn't realize it until I was putting my groceries in my car and noticed my shirt had tucked itself between my waist and my holster.

;-)

The argument you always hear is about being in a gas station and some guy robs it and shoots you first because he can see that you have a gun. Given that most gas stations robberies do not involve a large amount of planning, and that multiple gas stations are usually located in clusters around interstate exits or high traffic areas I can't see that situation playing out that way. If someone is gonna rob a gas station and sees a guy with a gun, I think the odds are that he'll decide he's gonna walk across the street and rob the other gas station.

It's always gona be a crap shoot no matter where you are, gas stations, grocery store whatever. CC'ing or OC'ing won't matter. Criminals will do what they want when they want. They may or may not pay attention to how you're carrying especially if they are on drugs or looking for their next fix!! This is why no matter how you carry, it's up to you to pay attention to your surroundings and try to be prepared.....

I wish I could carry OC every day. It is much more comfortable...

My wife also has her permit and won't carry except when she goes on trips by herself.

I hope she doesn't have to have an incident to get her to change her mind...

Mark

Guest Newbie

I didn't mean to turn it into a cc vs oc thread. Just throught I'd share.

I, too, hope an incident doesn't come up that makes her have to change her thought on it; hoping she just thinks about it and comes to the conclusion on her own.

On a side note, I've beefed up my situational awareness when we go out and point things out to her and its carried over to her. One of those guys in a truck came around selling meat/seafood. She heard the truck, got up and opened the front door, then locked the storm door so she could see him and he couldn't come in. He kept asking for her to come out and buy some and finally she said through the closed glass door " I'm vegan, I don't eat meat!! What part of that do you not understand?!"

Before, she probably would have opened both doors and stood there talking to him. What's the saying? Rome wasn't built in a day? Hopefully she'll budge soon. Need to get her some pepper spray in the meantime.

Guest archerdr1

the BP gas station that I frequent in East Ridge is run by couple of Pakistani Brothers. Really nice guys, I had been carrying cc for a while, I go in, talk to them, say goodbye, and come back in a few days. One day I walked in OC. One guy says "You carry a gun?" I say, "Have ever since the first day you met me" He said, "Good, how do I get a permit? I have a gun, it is under the counter, but I would like to be able to carry it outside too" I talked to him about getting his permit and such. The guy's brother started asking me questions and by the time I left, they both want to get their permits. They always greet me when I come in and say, "You are carrying, aren't you?"

My dad worked at a small coin store for a short time. Long story short there's a handgun attached to the register, a handgun in the desk behind it, and a 12 gauge in the big safe in the back that has the really expensive stuff in it. That is unless the owner has gotten more guns since my dad worked there.