Do I need CCP?

Guest SpcWashington

Guest SpcWashington

Ive looked around some and cant find out for sure. My question is, Do I need to obtain a concealed carry permit if I have an armed security guard liscense and want to carry off the job? I thought I still needed the class and permit. But ive been told by a couple people that I dont have to. :D

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TnRebel

You have the best resource for that info , right there in Gray .

Gray Kennels & Security,

call Ken Riley at 423-914-3820

he teaches both classes Armed Guard and HCP class

Guest db99wj

I thought that there was a an Unarmed Guard License (4-hours), which there is a class for, then an Armed Guard License class (the remaining day and a half), which is the same as the Unarmed Guard, but you go through the armed part which is substantially similar to the permit course. You then could pay an additional fee, like $25 bucks or something, and get your permit.

I could be wrong on this, but I thought I remember something like this. You might call where you got your guard license and see if they can help you.

Also, in Tennessee, we have a HCP, Handgun Carry Permit, not a CCP. In Tennessee you don't have to conceal, you can open carry.

I thought that there was a an Unarmed Guard License (4-hours), which there is a class for, then an Armed Guard License class (the remaining day and a half), which is the same as the Unarmed Guard, but you go through the armed part which is substantially similar to the permit course. You then could pay an additional fee, like $25 bucks or something, and get your permit.

I could be wrong on this, but I thought I remember something like this. You might call where you got your guard license and see if they can help you.

Also, in Tennessee, we have a HCP, Handgun Carry Permit, not a CCP. In Tennessee you don't have to conceal, you can open carry.

Unarmed guard is 4 hours and the Armed Guard is an additional 12 hours (4 of those range). So 16 total for Armed Guard.

To be able to carry when not working as a Guard you will need a HCP, I believe.

However according to T.C.A. 39-17-1351(e)(3) if you have had that training within the last 5 years you do not have to take the state HCP safety course. So that may be what they are talking about....you'd still have to pay the $115 and show proof of the armed security guard training.

So...yes you need the permit, but no, you will not need the safety class (as long as the training was less than 5 years ago).

Guest stovepipe

As an Armed Guard, You can only carry your weapon between your post and home. (Not sure if can be loaded, or not, but don't think so.)

I do understand that your AG license qualifies you for a handgun carry permit without further class or range time, though you'll still need to pay for new fingerprints and permit fees. - That way you can carry outside of work. - Remember, that you can only have the weapon you qualified with while on post.

As an Armed Guard, You can only carry your weapon between your post and home. (Not sure if can be loaded, or not, but don't think so.)

I do understand that your AG license qualifies you for a handgun carry permit without further class or range time, though you'll still need to pay for new fingerprints and permit fees. - That way you can carry outside of work. - Remember, that you can only have the weapon you qualified with while on post.

Just to note the $115 for the HCP includes the cost of being fingerprinted.....

Armed guard license is only good from work to home and at your job site. As one of the instructors I used to work with would say "If you want to stop and get a drink at the gas station on your way home, you need an HCP."

Basically you can't just use your HCP while working as an armed guard and you can't use your guard license as an HCP.