Wood boring beetles in deck beams of new house?

Hey guys and gals,

I just bought a house and it has a nice covered deck attached on the back. The house passed both home and termite inspection, but today I noticed what looked like wood shavings on my patio table. When I looked up at the beams for the roof there was a smooth round hole and a dead bug poking out of it. I only found one other hole bored out of the wood, but I wondered what I can do or if anyone has any experience with these things?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It might be a bumble bee they are bad about burrrowing holes in your decks and anything made of wood. You just have to catch them in the hole kill them and repair the hole, thats all we used to do. Not sure how to prevent them from doing it.

It might be a bumble bee they are bad about burrrowing holes in your decks and anything made of wood. You just have to catch them in the hole kill them and repair the hole, thats all we used to do. Not sure how to prevent them from doing it.

Thought those were "carpenter bees"? And yes, they LOVE burrowing into wood. Had to deal with them in the carport when I was growing up.

Yep, bumblebee/carpenter bee/wood boring bee not sure their proper name. Those things can make a nice hole in no time. Being it's anew house the Arsenic in the treated lumber is still pretty fresh and will kill them, but not before they make a hole or two. No big problem.

Hey guys and gals,

I just bought a house and it has a nice covered deck attached on the back. The house passed both home and termite inspection, but today I noticed what looked like wood shavings on my patio table. When I looked up at the beams for the roof there was a smooth round hole and a dead bug poking out of it. I only found one other hole bored out of the wood, but I wondered what I can do or if anyone has any experience with these things?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Perfect hole sounds like carpenter bees, though I can't 'splain the dead insect as I don't think they put one in there to feed the young 'uns. Maybe the bee itself died in the hole (look like bumblebees).

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/ammunition-reloading/38116-ive-declared-war-carpenter-bees.html?highlight=carpenter+bee

- OS

Guest jackdm3

Crazy you bring this up. I've never seen them (not saying much) until this year, but my FIL and a close friend have the bee things making perfect holes and littering you head with sawdust. LOTS of holes! Almost worse than illegals!

...my FIL and a close friend have the bee things making perfect holes and littering you head with sawdust. LOTS of holes! Almost worse than illegals!

Yep. When I was a kid, I would stand right behind the carport and wait for them to fly out (to a location where my "backdrop" was safe) and I'd actually shoot them out of the air with a BB gun. They're big for an insect, but still small enough to use for challenging targets. I had a much steadier aim as a youngin' too.

Awesome thanks guys! I wondered about carpenter bees when I was noticing that there were some chewed spots around the outside too. I just haven't seen any buzzing around which is what I thought was odd.

I was looking up something called "old house borers" which sounded pretty much exactly like what I saw, but there were only a couple holes and it didn't really look like a beetle. Come to think of it that SOB had a stinger type tail! I feel better now lol

They are carpenter bees. There is a spray that does stop them from boring. They do not seem to be slowed by treated wood. A spent 45 cartridge fills the hole nicely.

oldogy

I meant only if it is fresh treated, less than a year old. After that you have to spray for the things. They will still bore in fresh stuff but it will kill them, which is what sounded like happened in the OP.

I don't know how new the deck is. It is a used house, but I think the deck is only a couple years old. There are only like 2 actual holes, the rest is where they were chewing. I haven't seen any buzzing, but the one I pulled out was dead so I'm gonna just spray the deck, plug the holes, and paint.

I don't know how new the deck is. It is a used house, but I think the deck is only a couple years old. There are only like 2 actual holes, the rest is where they were chewing. I haven't seen any buzzing, but the one I pulled out was dead so I'm gonna just spray the deck, plug the holes, and paint.

Usually the two holes are connected (tunnel). Expansion foam (Great Stuff) works great.

There's a product out called "Demon." Our local Farmer's Co-op carries it. No odor, but it can leave a white powdery residue. It's good stuff for anything that crawls or flies. Not sure if it will keep wood-borers out, but it does keep spiders and wasps from building ... ... FWIW, I've used it and like it. Don't own any stock or anything, and I'm not a professional pest-control expert. But my experience with this product has been +++.

Guest Swamprunner

Sheesh, they LOVE my old garage door. I'm likin' the shoot extermination method. I'll put up the cars, and set my grandson to work. :D The little turd loves any reason to use that durn pellet gun.

bumble bee's live in swarms, carpenter bee's don't - they are not social insects. AND cb's don't sting like BB's. If you have some WD40 laying around, spray a little into the hole and that will kill them almost instantly. Fill the hole with wood putty or latex caulk (if wood is painted). They can/will destroy lumber in no time. If problem continues, consult your local pest control dude. I am not a pest control man, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

bumble bee's live in swarms, carpenter bee's don't - they are not social insects. AND cb's don't sting like BB's. If you have some WD40 laying around, spray a little into the hole and that will kill them almost instantly. Fill the hole with wood putty or latex caulk (if wood is painted). They can/will destroy lumber in no time. If problem continues, consult your local pest control dude. I am not a pest control man, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

That's the plan for tomorrow minus the wd-40. I, gonna get some stuff from Lowe's, spray the holes, fill them up, and then paint the deck here soon anyway.

If your getting "chewed" marks along the sides of the boards in line with the holes, you have wood peckers going after the bees. Our cabin has both and it's getting worrisome there is so much damage going on. We kill the bee's but they come back the next year. While we are away, the wood peckers eat up the whole side of the board. Arrgh.

Guest Ae-35

Go to Lowes, get the Ortho Termite killer, read label, works on carpinter bees too spray the deck , one tbs, per 1 gal of water in sprayer. The bees will still come and touch the wood, then leave !!!! I have to spray my porches very spring. Try to spray when it's not going to rain for a couple of days, be sure to spray any holes all ready in wood. One good soaking and you're good till next year. If ya don't get rid of them quick, not only will they do a lot of damage, but this winter the woodpickers will dig big trenches getting to the bee larva.