Fail to Fire and other related terms

Guest motonut

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nashvegas

More important than knowing the terms, is knowing how to fix the problem, and fast! You should practice clearing jams whenever you practice. Get some dummy rounds. It should be second nature.

Guest smileyguy
More important than knowing the terms, is knowing how to fix the problem, and fast! You should practice clearing jams whenever you practice. Get some dummy rounds. It should be second nature.

+1

Guest Marine03

Terms for fixing FTF's are: CANT AND LOOK at your weapon to determine stoppage reason

Fail to Fire: Immediate action- Tap, Rack, Bang, (Tap the magazine to ensure its seated, rack the slide to provide a fresh round, and bang attempt to fire again.)

Stovepipe- Chop, Rack, Bang (chop the slide to free stovepipe, Rack and Fire)

After 2 Fail to Fire or Fail to Feeds: Remedial action- Take cover, Strip the mag from the magwell, Rack the slide multiple times to clear any jams, Insert FRESH mag(if the one in the gun didn't work the first 2 times it probably won't work again), Rack to insert round and attempt to fire again.

Practice till all the above are second nature.

Guest Marine03

Other terms you should know are weapons conditions (Army conditions...If I'm wrong on those someone correct me)

Condition 1 (Red)- Magazine inserted, Round in Chamber, Weapon on safe(or deacocked)

Condition 2- Does not Apply ( has to do with machine guns)

Condition 3(Yellow)- Magazine inserted, NO round in chamber, Weapon on safe

Condition 4(Green)- NO magazine in weapon, No round in chamber, weapon on safe

ALWAYS know what condition your weapon is in. If you pick it up or are handed it by someone else ALWAYS CHECK IT!!! Just to be safe.

Guest nashvegas

Fail to Fire: Immediate action- Tap, Rack, Bang, (Tap the magazine to ensure its seated, rack the slide to provide a fresh round, and bang attempt to fire again.)

Stovepipe- Chop, Rack, Bang (chop the slide to free stovepipe, Rack and Fire)

Never heard of Chop, Rack, Bang...

I just Tap, Rack, Bang w/ a stovepipe.

Guest Marine03
Never heard of Chop, Rack, Bang...

I just Tap, Rack, Bang w/ a stovepipe.

The reason you chop is because the stovepiped round can interfere with the round in the chamber if there is one. I have seen where it will feed a round into the chamber but due to the stovepipe the slide/bolt with extractor won't be on the casing. So if you tap rack bang in said instance you will cause a double feed. Thats why you Chop to free the stovepipe allowing the slide/bolt to close on a round if there is one, Rack to insert a round if there wasn't and attemp to fire again.

That's right. Although the chances of a Glock blowing up are, I think, slim. The Glock 40s and 45s (not the 9mm) have had some problems with exploding. Just enough to make me think twice before shooting hot loads in them.

That's why when I wanted a 45 I got the improved Glock. It's called the Springfield XD45.:up:

I usually load my G21SF with Hornaday Tap 230gr +Ps, I've shot a few mags of them before, of course with no problem but today I loaded it with some standard pressure Federal Hydro-Shock 230gr. My G21 is fairly new, was there any change or improvment in the headspace on them? I've been told not to shoot reloads and know not to shoot lead bullets but no warnings about +P loads.