Scope on a handgun?

JPS

OK - I have to ask, because I've been wondering for a long time.. Do scopes on handguns really work? I've never tried one, but I see quite a few and always wondered whether or not its a good idea.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK - I have to ask, because I've been wondering for a long time.. Do scopes on handguns really work? I've never tried one, but I see quite a few and always wondered whether or not its a good idea.

To extend the accurate range for more precise target shooting or hunting, sure a scope works, if you can hold it steady enough to utilize it.

For home defense or of course carry, no way.

- OS

I have had a Nikon Silver 2x on my SW 686 since 1990. I can drive nails with that thing! Definitely not a carry weapon, but an absolute blast to shoot!

Also have a RedDot on my Beretta 87 Target 22....makes that baby a breeze to shoot as well

Guest db99wj

My dad had, mine and my brothers now, a S&W 44 magnum with a 6" barrel that he used deer hunting, it had a scope. Killed several with it. Carried it in a shoulder holster.

Guest cheez

I have had several scopes on hunting revolvers. I could hit pretty good with them but man they make the gun bulky. They take a lot of practise to get used to finding the reticle with too.

scopes, I see them as purely for hunting whether it be on a revolver or a pistol.

lately in tactical magazines I hae been seeing several articles about mounting a very small red dot in place of the rear sight and they claim it doesnt make it any bulkier for concealed carry or "high speed low drag tacticool operations"

Guest Lester Weevils

I have 2 'target' pistols with red dots, because the old eye doesn't see iron sights very well (though some iron sights are easier to see than others, dunno why).

I wouldn't put a red dot on a defense gun.

But am curious about pistol scopes from a 'theoretical' issue--

Doesn't a pistol scope need eye relief long enough so you can see thru the thang at arms length? Otherwise, in an ordinary scope the visual from that distance would be a tiny image.

Just wondering. With ordinary telescopes, though super-short eye relief is annoying, so is super-long eye relief. With an astro scope, if the eye relief is longer than an inch or two, it becomes difficult to keep the eye in the 'sweet spot' that sees the entire field of view.

I have a not-too-bad Simmons AO zoom rifle scope that has pretty generous eye relief about 3.5". On a rifle it is easy to find the sweet spot because when the cheek hits the stock, the eye is automatically close to the sweet spot. But I've tried to use that Simmons as a hand-held spotting scope, and its just impossible because holding the thang 3.5" away from the eye, it is uber-frustrating lining up the eye with the sweet spot of the eyepiece at that distance.

So it sounds like a pistol scope would need some pretty remarkable optical properties to have an 18" to 24" eye relief, and be at all feasible to find the dern sweet spot with the eye?

Maybe I'm making it too complicated than it really is. Just idle curiosity. Thanks.

Guest motonut
I think scopes on pistols are silly....

Wait 'til you get a little older and your eyes aren't what they used to be. I'd rather hit what I want to hit than worry about the gun (or me) looking silly.

I'm not worried about looking silly, and trust me, I absolutely understand the 'eyes aren't what they used to be' arguments. I just wonder about the eye relief issues and how hard they are to use.

Takes a lot of getting used to a pistol scope but this old 460 Mag was VERY accurate. Consistent 2" groups @ 100 yards. Eventually sold it to a hunter with the hots for it. Real cool setup with a Leupold 2x EER. Had a strap to tote it with because a holster would be pretty bulky. Was a great long distance tool; not silly at all.

MVC-588X.jpg

Guest BEARMAN

I have a Dan Wesson .357 magnum mdl. 15 w/ a 6" barrel and a Tasco pro point red dot scope on it.

I have killed 3 deer with it, with the longest being 75 yards, off a sand bag I keep in the "shoot'n" house.

I'm fairly certain I couldn't have made most of those shots without the assistance of a scope.

I had a reticle scope on an S & W mdl. 19 and killed 2 deer with it, but found picking up the reticle in low light conditions was tough.

No, a scope on a handgun isn't for everyone, but for hunting purposes...it's the way to go.

To insure a quick, humane kill and reducing the chance of losing wounded game....you can't go wrong, scoping your handgun. IMHO