taurus 709 slim 9mm opinions and experieinces??

Guest 1817ak47

Guest 1817ak47

looking at one of these, as I want a smaller pocket 9 without the heafty trigger like my kel-tec./ thoughts and experiences

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I traded for a used one for my parents, so they could have a gun in the house...I fired it a couple hundred times first to make sure it was reliable and it never misfired or had any FTF/FTE issues...none. I took mom and dad out to shoot it and they had no problem with it either. It is very small compared to my other guns, but I would probably carry it in a holster - not in a pocket.

My only complaint was the trigger. I assume all Taurus guns are this way, but you have to pull it back a long way with zero resistance before it engages anything, then it goes bang. The trigger just sort of flops in there and feels sloppy. It felt like a toy gun with that trigger. Other than that, it was reliable, held plenty of rounds, accurate, and seemed to be a good gun.

B

I haven't heard anything bad about them from anyone who actually owns one. For the most part the only negative comments have been from the standard "It's a Taurus, so it must be crap" crowd.

As for size, the 709 is 6" long. The PF9 is 5.85" long. 0.15" isn't going to to make much of a difference in pocket carry.

My only complaint was the trigger. I assume all Taurus guns are this way, but you have to pull it back a long way with zero resistance before it engages anything, then it goes bang. The trigger just sort of flops in there and feels sloppy. It felt like a toy gun with that trigger. ...

B

The one Taurus I own and the few others I've shot (not a 709) have all had reasonably good triggers after a bit of break-in.

Guest mikedwood

Dunno about the slim but I'm never getting rid of my Taurus 905.

I've held the slims in the store and fit and finish looks good to me.

I've had 3 keltecs and none of them would I consider quality enough for self defense. I like the concept of the keltec stuff. Not the quality.

I think the Taurus is two steps up for darn near the same money.

I have had FTE/FTF (at about 3-400 rounds) and failure for the firing pin to hit hard enough for the round to fire (from day one on about 3% of the rounds). Sent it back to the factory (at no cost to me) 6 weeks later I had a brand new gun. At about 80 rounds the firing pin stopped hitting the round all together. Sent it back to the factory and within 2 weeks I had it back with invoice stating they replaced firing pin and missing part. MISSING PART???? hmmmmmm

I was going to trade it in for a Kahr pm9 but after looking at the price vs. trade value I think I'm going to keep pluggin away at getting the slim up to par... third times the charm right. Other than all of the above, the gun has been a decent shooter... my wife loves shooting it and fits in my pocket just fine (wouldn't wear it there all day.. just in and out of stores etc.)

Edited by The Scullinator
left out important fact
  • Moderators
I have had FTE/FTF (at about 3-400 rounds) and failure for the firing pin to hit hard enough for the round to fire (from day one on about 3% of the rounds). Sent it back to the factory (at no cost to me) 6 weeks later I had a brand new gun. At about 80 rounds the firing pin stopped hitting the round all together. Sent it back to the factory and within 2 weeks I had it back with invoice stating they replaced firing pin and missing part. MISSING PART???? hmmmmmm

I was going to trade it in for a Kahr pm9 but after looking at the price vs. trade value I think I'm going to keep pluggin away at getting the slim up to par... third times the charm right. Other than all of the above, the gun has been a decent shooter... my wife loves shooting it and fits in my pocket just fine (wouldn't wear it there all day.. just in and out of stores etc.)

I too am having a lot of light strike issues with the wife's 709. It is one of the primary reasons she is unhappy with it. She just doesn't trust it to work. So we are going to sell it and get her an xd9sc.

Guest 1817ak47

I set my p-11 and the 709 side by side and the length and width are almost exactly the same. the keltec p11 is a little wider though. and I have had that in my pocket for a while w/o problems.

I own two Tauri (one is back at the factory), and just considered a 709 for a summer pocket gun.

Ended up with the Kel Tec PF 9. The slight barrel difference did result in a bit of impression in my pockets. Actually the PF was pushing it, but I wasn't comfortable with .380.

But the principle reason is Taurus can be hit or miss, and the 709 is almost brand new. PF9 had problems in it's first year, but they appear to be ironed out.

I just don't want to have doubts about what I have in my pocket since IMHO self defense is 80% mental.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 1817ak47

UPDATE for those who are curious about this new pistol. I have been carrying this in my pocket now for about a week anda half since day 1 that I purchansed it. I ask everyone I am around if they can tell there is a pistol in my pocket and they say no.

will try to have another update soon when I can get the lady to the range to try it.

I like the concept of the keltec stuff. Not the quality.

+1. Keltec has great ideas and poor execution. I almost bought a PF9 and just can't seem to get past the crappy fit and finnish. I also owned a sub 2000 for a while. Wanted to love it since I have multiple Glocks. Couldn't get past the fit and finish and the cheap front site that looks like it's from a kid's toy. I'd pay $50 more if Ruger would make the exact same gun with better fit and finish. Hmmm...

Guest 1817ak47

udpate again. lady likes it and wan't us to get a 2nd one, so that we can each have one to carry. she shot it today and really liked it. and deadly accurate with it to within the first few rounds. anyone have a stainless pt709 they don't want?? 2nd gen only though.

just thought I would share the experience again. oh and with fmj thru that short barrel it shot right through a 6"x6" piece of wood!

I'm still getting used to mine - I haven't had near as much range time as I would like to. I added a Hogue Handall Jr., and that helped me keep the grip from twisting with sweaty hands. Minor trimming required.

I'm still getting used to the gun, so I haven't tried SD rounds yet - are there any that feed better / worse than others?

I haven't heard anything bad about them from anyone who actually owns one. For the most part the only negative comments have been from the standard "It's a Taurus, so it must be crap" crowd.

As for size, the 709 is 6" long. The PF9 is 5.85" long. 0.15" isn't going to to make much of a difference in pocket carry.

+1 I've put about 250 rounds through mine so far. No issues.

Guest 1817ak47
Slim 740 to come out soon.......40cal version.........Now thats what Im talkin about

is there any info on that??? 40 is a nice nasty round. I would've bought all 40's a while back but the ammo was near the same cost as 45, and wasn't near as common then as it is now. maybe sometime if Ifind guns that I like I will sell of all my 9mm and ammo etc and do a full changeover to 40