Range Report modded 22/45

graycrait

I went to the range today. I am still waiting for my Marvel adjustable trigger to hand fit to this pistol but I have to say the Ruger MKIII 22/45 pictured is the easiest to shoot accurately, pistol, I have ever shot.

Again, mods were:

1. Matchdot Ultradot reddot 2-8 MOA variable dot with infinite variable light intensity.

2. Weigand scope mount.

3. Volquartsen pre & post travel adjustable trigger.

4. Volquartsen sear.

5. Hogue Handall grip sleeve

6. Harrington friction reduction job

7. CCI SV ammo

8. 5 Magazines

9. Lubed with 1:1 mix of red transmission fluid & CLP

Rig weighs 41oz unloaded w/o mag

Lessons learned:

1) use decent ammo.

2) 4MOA is good enough for up to 25 meters. Which means to say you can save 50 bucks by buying a standard Ultradot at 4MOA fixed for $149.00, rather than the $199.00 2-8MOA Matchdot by Ultradot. I suspect for a 50M shooter the 2MOA is necessary, but I have too much wobble for 50M unsupported handgun shooting. I set this Matchdot at 4MOA and can shoot just as well as using the 2MOA dot.

3) I have to find rings or modify the existing ones so that I can shoot this thing through the rings using the stock iron sights or find rings that are low enough to co-witness without ring mods - but I think that is impossible. Therefore I think I need to get the dreaded dremel out and "hack" out a hole in these rings! Then the only thing would be to do is thread this "thing." I would love to "lay the optic on the rail" and may try just that with JB Weld.

I have shot Pardini, Walther GSP, S&W 41 and some crazy Russian pistol that a friend used to have so I have minimal experience shooting some better than Ruger pistols. I am no bullseye pistol shooter. This is my 5 or 6th Ruger MK series pistol. I am just a hack that mainly shoots Glock and Beretta 9mms, with experience building 1911s and working on other pistols & revolvers. There is a point of diminishing returns for most of us.

2245hamd.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

018.jpg

I dont have a scale at home, but my 22/45 is insanely light. Despite its weight there is very little recoil with the compensator on.

Mods:

pac lite upper

wolff reduced power trigger spring

wolff firing pin spring

volquartsen target sear

clark hammer busing (removes magazine disconnector)

to do:

install clark trigger

volquartsen exact extractor

red dot reflex sight

byrnemm & others,

I have always thought the Paclite on a 22/45 frame would be fun to try. I was lucky in mine that I had a MKII hammer to replace the MKIII hammer that is cut to accomodate the mag disconnect mechanism, otherwise I would also have had to get a Clark bushing.

I have a couple of 20oz .22LR pistols I love already though, a pair of 6" S&W 422s. It is a crying shame that S&W quit making them. It is good though that there are a couple of folks making aftermarket pins and other goodies for them though. If there was only "1" .22lr pistol that I could have the S&W 422 would be it:

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab181/graycrait/422s-1.jpg

I dont have a scale at home, but my 22/45 is insanely light. Despite its weight there is very little recoil with the compensator on.

Hey Byrne, I like that PacLite 22/45 a whole very lot. :rock: Think you just spent some more of my money.

I was considering replacing the model 41 I lost years ago but you guys done give me the Ruger itch.

Yes transmission fluid, the red stuff. I've tried all sorts of lubricants and read quite a bit about them. I used to do quite a bit of work on hydraulic systems too, and got to talk to lube folks in that game. I wanted something that spreads easily, is thin, but also gives good lubrication. One of my older friends who was in the Army Marksmanship Unit back in the 60s suggested the CLP/Tranny fluid mix. I use a fine needle oiler to apply it. This mix does everything I want it to do, including working well in S&W revolvers, as well as anythe else. The tranny fluid has some metal protection properties and adheres well but keeps the mix thin. Working on other folks' guns has caused me to be cautious about over lubing. Either extreme does little to promote good working actions.