Vacation Time

Guest sabrexr15

Guest cheez
For interstate travel through a restrictive state, the best law to have printed up is from federal law, specifically,

Gun Control Act of 1968, Sec. 926A, Interstate transportation of firearms:

"Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle:Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

- OS

I have 5 toolboxes on the back of my truck. When I pass through Illinois on my way to Missouri I separate the ammo,magazines and gun into 3 separate locked boxes. I'm still a bit nervous traveling through such a communist state even abiding by this federal law.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 270win

Competition shooters can bring handguns into New York and MA and without a license from those states for a short period of time, provided you have a license from your state....but it doesn't sound like you will be attending any sanctioned matches! You can bring a handgun into Canada for a match too.

I know you can bring a long gun into New York and even Canada...but don't know about MA off hand. Long guns are usually easier to transport to some of the more restrictive states in your car than a handgun.

The kind of long gun I'm talking about in New York is a plain looking lever action rifle....a pump shotgun...hunting type weapon...not an AR/AK...some of those states and all of Canada have 'assault weapon' bans. A shotgun you can take just about anywhere....I believe the Canadians charge a fee for a temp license to get the gun across the border.