Vacation Time

Guest sabrexr15

Guest sabrexr15

OK Fellows

Leaving TN making a big loop,

I will be going thru the following states and not sure about the cc

VA, Washington DC, Maryland, Penn, New Jersey, New York, Mass, NY Niagara Falls, (maybe Canada side), Ohio, Ky, back to TN

Should I carry or just carry a big stick because I'm not sure about the Canada thing or Mass, NY, Washington

Anybody have any input would be much helpful?

Many thanks

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker

Handgunlaw.us

I just got back from a very similar route.

KY, VA, PA you are good to go for the most part.

All of the others, especially D.C., there are some very specific and strict rules about even transport through those states.

As for Canada...ABSOLUTE NO-GO to get a handgun across the border. If your trip includes Canada, best leave it at home, IMO.

If you want some very specific info on D.C. and Maryland, I'll PM you a phone number to call me. My uncle is a state department attorney in D.C. and a firearm law expert living in Maryland.

Edited by Bronker
OK Fellows

Leaving TN making a big loop,

I will be going thru the following states and not sure about the cc

VA, Washington DC, Maryland, Penn, New Jersey, New York, Mass, NY Niagara Falls, (maybe Canada side), Ohio, Ky, back to TN

Should I carry or just carry a big stick because I'm not sure about the Canada thing or Mass, NY, Washington

Anybody have any input would be much helpful?

Many thanks

Forget Maryland, too.

The states you can carry loaded weapon with TN HCP are VA, PA, Ohio, and KY.

From all reports, you won't get into Canada with a handgun under any hardly any circumstances, short of really hiding it and lying (and risking Bad Trouble).

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/tennessee.pdf

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest Jamie
Leave the gun at home.

... unless you're intending for your vacation to involve an extended stay in somebody's jail. 'Cause with that route, somebody's bound to get ya. The only real question is who.

J.

... unless you're intending for your vacation to involve an extended stay in somebody's jail. 'Cause with that route, somebody's bound to get ya. The only real question is who.

J.

Yep, looks like you're hitting all the gunhating states exept Illinois and Kalifornia.

Guest jackdm3

I'm in New Orleans and the hotel has a safe I could use if I needed. If you stay somewhere close to Canada and just walk/drive over the border, leave it in the U.S. territory and enjoy your travels rest of the way home. About 8 years ago we went to Cincinatti but saw Niagara wasn't too far (for us). Walked straight across the border checkpoint and all she asked to get into Canada was, "Just gonna walk over for a few hours?" Came back with some souvenirs in a big sack and the guys coming back hardly even looked at us. Carried the whole time and that was after 9-11.

Me personally... I'd go somewhere else for vacation... There are a bunch of other states that will allow you to legally carry which have great spots to visit for vacation...

Why give up your right to defend yourself? Walking around New York City unarmed doesn't sound all that relaxing to me personally :blush:

Guest Risky Ruger

i was told if your going through NY, just leave your gun under a tree at the state line and hope its there on your way back.

Guest Bronker
...Walked straight across the border checkpoint and all she asked to get into Canada was, "Just gonna walk over for a few hours?" Came back with some souvenirs in a big sack and the guys coming back hardly even looked at us. Carried the whole time and that was after 9-11.

Jack, seriously?

That's quite a chance you took there. No thanks. Bad advice for anyone to heed.

I'm not trying to flame you, but in each of many border crossings I have made, I had a pretty good shakedown of vehicle, etc. going each way.

Guys, don't do this.:up:

Guest jackdm3

Not saying to do it these days, just that it was amazing that it was still lax back then and totally doubt it would happen these days. If I had to go back, very unlikely to be sure, I'd just leave in our bolted safe inside the rear floorboard.

Edited by jackdm3
Guest Bronker
Not saying to do it, just that it was amazing that it was still lax back then and totally doubt it would happen these days. If I had to go back, very unlikely to be sure, I'd just leave in our bolted safe inside the rear floorboard.

Whew, made me nervous for a second. I appreciate you clarifying that.:)

You get caught in Canada, armed with an unlawful, loaded pistol...I just have a feeling that they would make an 'example' out of you. :up:

Guest jackdm3

Planet Jack, dude! We're out of this world. Not stupid.

In fact, the closer I am to the center of our great nation, the safer I feel.

Guest jackdm3

Haven't been, but I did Tulsa for three days in '96 and that suuuuuuuucked! Everybody in bed by nine. Almost as bad as the bombing. Very close. No place for the adventurous young.

Guest sabrexr15
based on your route I would leave the guns at home and take situational awareness with you.

Sometimes you just gotta live life. It does not always have to be about having guns.

Thanks for all the comments guys,

But it looks like I'm just going to have to trust faith and hope for a harmless and safe trip and keep the above comment in mind...

situational awareness seems to be the only option I have,

But I sure will feel naked for 10 days tho

Best regards

sabre

Guest cheez
Thanks for all the comments guys,

But it looks like I'm just going to have to trust faith and hope for a harmless and safe trip and keep the above comment in mind...

situational awareness seems to be the only option I have,

But I sure will feel naked for 10 days tho

Best regards

sabre

You will feel naked and vulnerable for sure. I go to the notheast quite often for work. I always leave my guns at home when I go up there too. One thing is for sure. When you get back down here where we still have most our rights as US citizens you will appreciate your home much more.

I hope you are not planning over a day at Niagra I was there earlier this year. The Canadian side is the nicer side but there is a reason why its a place for Honeymooners.

1. 90% of the people you see over there will be foreign speeking another language.

2. everything is expensive

3. 20 minutes and you have seen the falls

4. once all that is done you have only your wife/husband to talk to, you are broke, and so you might as well go back to the hotel room and find out if you can really put up with each other for a week :P

DC is definatley cool but scary at the same time.

Guest sabrexr15

Well we're doing 3 days in Wash, the 2 days NY city, then a afternoon/night time at Niagara, wake up the next morning and get on the way back home

Guest 1eyedwillie

I wouldn't advise breaking the law. Too many chances for Mr. LEO to have interaction with you and notice some nervousness. Then...probable jail time and loss of carry privileges.

I feel your pain though. I sometimes have to travel to Illinois and I leave the weapon at home. Of course, we all know that all their citizens always behave themselves and there is no crime there :(. I always feel better when I can get back to the "free" states to the good ol' Memphis area and "gear up".

In most cases, just keep situational awareness, try to stay away from obviously bad areas and play the odds.

I wouldn't advise breaking the law. Too many chances for Mr. LEO to have interaction with you and notice some nervousness. Then...probable jail time and loss of carry privileges.

I feel your pain though. I sometimes have to travel to Illinois and I leave the weapon at home. Of course, we all know that all their citizens always behave themselves and there is no crime there :(. I always feel better when I can get back to the "free" states to the good ol' Memphis area and "gear up".

In most cases, just keep situational awareness, try to stay away from obviously bad areas and play the odds.

I went thru Illinios a few weeks ago. Locked my pistol in the trunk in a locked box. When I got to the St. Louis area, I stopped to rearm myself. First time I ever had to say to myself, "Damn, I should have brought a bigger gun". Next time, I'm taking a real sidearm instead of my little pop gun. Extra mags too.

For interstate travel through a restrictive state, the best law to have printed up is from federal law, specifically,

Gun Control Act of 1968, Sec. 926A, Interstate transportation of firearms:

"Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle:Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

- OS