getting a (new to state) TN drivers license and HCP at the same time?

Guest abailey362

Guest abailey362

Can I get my TN driver's license (currently have Alabama) and HCP at the same time, since they both are done in the same location? This would save me (and my wife) a lot of time and hassle since we both need to have them both done.

I guess this would depend on my 2nd question, do you have to have a valide TNDL to take the carry class?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest abailey362

I did, it's expired. TN treats someone with an AL permit as a new applicant since they don't use the same standards as TN. Much easier in AL. Just fill out a 2 page application, give them 20 bux and wait 6 weeks.

looked at the site and the only place a student is mentioned is that the final certificate must include the student's ssn, and county of residence.

I filled out my paperwork for the DL and Handgun Carry Permit at the same office in Memphis when i moved here from Arkansas. I have an Arkansas CHL (technically b/c it expires next year) and used that to bypass the fingerprinting and class requirements. I just had to send the Nashville office a copy of my Arkansas CHL. I had to wait a month.

You will probably have more hassle than me due to the class, fingerprinting, and background check wait. I am pretty sure that non residents can get a TN permit if you work here full time. Give a call to the main office in Nashville, they are a lot more help than the Memphis office on Summer.

Guest supergus

I'm getting ready to go through the same thing. Just moved to TN. When you go to fill out the app. for your TN driver's license, you can pick up a HCP app. However, you have to take the handgun course, get your certificate, then bring the cert. along with the application to the DMV, and they'll send it out to Nashville I think for processing. Some counties offer the course at the Sheriff's dept and I believe you can give them the HCP application and they'll submit it with your certificate.

Sheriff's dept and I believe you can give them the HCP application and they'll submit it with your certificate

I am not so sure about the sherriffs office turning in paperwork for you. I took it through a sherriffs training center and I still had to go to TDOS and do my part.

Also if for some reason you get the HCP application and take it with you to turn in at a later date, DO NOT sign it until you are in front of an agent at TDOS. They have to see you sign it.

Guest ETS_Inc

You do not need a TN Driver's License to take the HCP class. However, when you go to get your permit, you will need to switch your license to TN; unless you are active duty military and here on orders. (This exemption does not apply to spouses, only the servicemembers themselves.)

You can go do both at once, as long as you've completed the course first.

Guest abailey362
You do not need a TN Driver's License to take the HCP class. However, when you go to get your permit, you will need to switch your license to TN; unless you are active duty military and here on orders. (This exemption does not apply to spouses, only the servicemembers themselves.)

You can go do both at once, as long as you've completed the course first.

Thanks, that's exactly what i needed to know. Now to get a day off to take the class.