Deliverance.

My father took me to see Deliverance when I was just a kid. It was playing at the Center Theater and was rated "R". My dad had no idea that Ned Beatty was gonna get raped. Of the 4 guys on that canoe trip. One got killed, one got his leg broke and may loose it, the other guy got stuck with his own arrow, but that last guy was the least injured of the 4, Ned Beatty. I have never met a man who wishes he was Ned. All would rather choose one of the other 3 guys.

I hate to say it but it was one of my top ten best movies ever made. Even though it's portrayal of the south was eschewed and warped, it still hit home. I think it was the sounds of the cicadas.

I will say that though John Voight does have pretty lips, his daughter really has some perdy lips!!!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My father took me to see Deliverance when I was just a kid. It was playing at the Center Theater and was rated "R". My dad had no idea that Ned Beatty was gonna get raped. Of the 4 guys on that canoe trip. One got killed, one got his leg broke and may loose it, the other guy got stuck with his own arrow, but that last guy was the least injured of the 4, Ned Beatty. I have never met a man who wishes he was Ned. All would rather choose one of the other 3 guys.

I hate to say it but it was one of my top ten best movies ever made. Even though it's portrayal of the south was eschewed and warped, it still hit home. I think it was the sounds of the cicadas.

I will say that though John Voight does have pretty lips, his daughter really has some perdy lips!!![/QUOTE]

Can't agree on that, the oversized/swollen lip look never appealled to me. But. different strokes for different folks.

Bull snorkel. You'd be all over Angelina if you had a chance. You would brag to your friends about it. You would kick Brad Pitt's ass, to get on that.

I hope I have not crossed the line on this post. I know this is a family forum and I hope I haven't offended anyone.

Guest Straight Shooter

That movie STILL holds its own today, imo. And...I hope like hell they NEVER do a "re-make" of it.

What a goat-screw THAT would be!!!

Guest TargetShooter84
That movie STILL holds its own today, imo. And...I hope like hell they NEVER do a "re-make" of it.

What a goat-screw THAT would be!!!

X2 on that!

Guest drv2fst

A friend saw an interview with Burt Reynolds about that movie. They had trouble casting the rapists. Burt claimed he knew some real backwoods guys (not actors) that could play the part. They showed up for an audition. Casting director said "let me warn you that the character you would be playing rapes another man" the actor replied "I've done worse". He got the job.

Guest jackdm3

I've seen it only maybe one and a half times, but you can say that it grabs men in a gutteral way. The plot is anemic, but without that scene it wouldn't have been remembered, for good or bad. It's because of this that Quentin Tarantino put an edge to his "Pulp Fiction". He knew people would talk about his rape scene. He goes for the gutteral in most of his films as well. The cutting of a cops ear in Reservoir Dogs. The ripping out of Darryl Hannah's eye in Kill Bill. Just about all the gross things in Inglorious Basterds.

Guest Lester Weevils

The movie which immortalized, "Squeal like a pig!"

I enjoyed the young banjo player at the beginning. He had the proper attitude and demeanor! Handsome feller too.

They should run this movie at least once per month on popular cable movie channels. It would help discourage yankees from moving south. Nothing strikes terror and revulsion in liberals like a toothless inbred redneck!

In fact, ran into some of them fellers at Prentice Cooper a few weeks back. Nice guys, but ugly enough to make a freight train take a dirt road!

Them yankees screw up the north with the silly liberal voting, then run away from the mess. Escape down south, and then vote the same dam stupid way down here! There was that saying about stupidity-- Repeating the same actions but expecting different results!

Guest 6.8 AR

That's one movie that shouldn't get remade, and deserved an"R" rating for a couple

scenes. My dad didn't take me to movies. I went with some other kids and I didn't

like it at the time, at all. I watched it again during the VCR days and actually liked.

Interesting story with dark sides, but I'm glad I did watch it again.

As far as Angelina Jolie goes, she's a damned good actor that picks wierd movies.

She'll shine one of these days with the right role. I wouldn't kick her away:D And

she's not one of those liberal Hollywierd types.

I found the book one time in a used book shop. The book is great. Way better than the movie. In particular the book spends a lot more time and detail on finding the hunting hillbilly who is tracking the canoeers. Real good reading.

Over all the movie is well cast, and is very entertaining. The fact that it is uncomfortable to watch in parts adds to how good of a flick it is.

A good movie doesn't have to make you feel good. The fact that it makes you "feel" at all is what makes it great. Deliverance definately does that. It is on my top movies of all time list. As for Angelina Jolie, I'd rather f*** a carp, they look very similar but a carp is cleaner and has more sanity.

I found the book one time in a used book shop. The book is great. Way better than the movie. In particular the book spends a lot more time and detail on finding the hunting hillbilly who is tracking the canoeers. Real good reading....

I read a lot of James Dickey growing up, Deliverance is probably his most "accessible" work.

Georgia boy, he knew that turf...

WWII and Korean War vet, too.

Oh yeah, he's the sheriff in the movie, too.

- OS

Guest Bluemax

I haven't watched Deliverance in a good while but the line that stuck in my head after the "squeal like a pig and purty mouth thing " was when the ordeal thing was over; that Ned Beatty asked his remaining companions not to mention anything about his rape because he may sell insurance someday !! Thats just not right !!

Guest Billetproof

There is something wrong with you southern boys!!!:rock:

The movie which immortalized, "Squeal like a pig!"

I enjoyed the young banjo player at the beginning. He had the proper attitude and demeanor! Handsome feller too.

They should run this movie at least once per month on popular cable movie channels. It would help discourage yankees from moving south. Nothing strikes terror and revulsion in liberals like a toothless inbred redneck!

In fact, ran into some of them fellers at Prentice Cooper a few weeks back. Nice guys, but ugly enough to make a freight train take a dirt road!

Them yankees screw up the north with the silly liberal voting, then run away from the mess. Escape down south, and then vote the same dam stupid way down here! There was that saying about stupidity-- Repeating the same actions but expecting different results!

Just kiddin!:D

And it's not all of us that vote liberal, we just get stuck with the mess they create!:eek:

Edited by Billetproof
want to
Guest Lester Weevils

And it's not all of us that vote liberal, we just get stuck with the mess they create!:)

Hi Billetproof

Didn't mean to slander all yankees. For instance, there are vast swaths of Michigan that deserve to be honorary southerners! Down around Coldwater and Quincy, Gods country fer sure! Then up thru Battle Creek and into the north west. Never got a chance to visit eastern MI.

From my limited travels in MI, whats with universal strong NPR radio reception even out in the sticks? One wouldn't intuitively expect that cows would appreciate Cokie Roberts on the barn radio <g>.

I hang out on one forum that is equally distributed liberal and conservative. Striking how outright fearful many liberals are of hicks. Anyone slightly to the right of Nancy Pelosi is painted with the same brush as the Demonic Hillbilly in Deliverance.

Colonists usually don't move from great places to hellholes. Red states are being colonized by blue at an alarming rate, so there must be something about red states that the blues like. New faces are not unwelcome, but OTOH if new faces want big govt like where they came from, and haven't figured out that big govt is what ruined where they came from, then it seems less than productive.

Was talking to a Colorado feller complaining about Colorado being colonized by liberal Californians. Escaping crime and taxes, only to vote high taxes in their new state. I advised him that Colorado needs more rednecks to function as scarecrows and scare off the colonists <g>.

Was thinkin we could hire fellers like this to hang around out front of every highway exit gas station, to discourage new colonists--

sm_deliverance.jpg

deliverance-3.jpg

If we can't find enough authentic characters in TN, we could hire from other regions, such as this handsome feller from Harold and Kumar's rural New Jersey--

christopher_meloni10.jpg

And make sure all the highway patrol fellers look something like this:

Cool_Hand_Luke_Martin.jpg

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

Well_We_Aint_Got_A_Radio.jpg

Wydell.jpg

Edited by Lester Weevils