My wife's permit arrived!

We've been discussing the new 'carry where alcohol is served' law so much that I forgot to mention that my wife's permit arrived in the mail this past Wednesday, June 9. She took her class on 5/15 and didn't go to the DMV, get fingerprinted, etc. until 5/21 so it actually took two days less than three weeks to arrive in the mail. Not bad, at all.

She probably won't carry, much, but it is good to know that she can carry when she feels a need. Hopefully, those times will increase as she gets more used to the idea of carrying - I don't want to push her to the point that she gets tired of hearing about it and might not carry, at all. This way, I don't have to worry if I am going into a store, she decides to wait in the car and I want to leave one of my handguns with her, just in case (when I can carry, I almost always carry two.)

So now, with my encouragement, my mom and wife both officially have their HCPs!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice, my wife is actually talking about learning to shoot. I am not putting any pressure on her as I don't want to turn her off the idea. I just told her, any time she want to learn or go shoot to let me know and I will take her out to practice. I hope she starts.

Nice, my wife is actually talking about learning to shoot. I am not putting any pressure on her as I don't want to turn her off the idea. I just told her, any time she want to learn or go shoot to let me know and I will take her out to practice. I hope she starts.

When we were first married, my wife wasn't opposed to me owning guns but she wasn't entirely comfortable shooting them, herself. Basically, her late father was a pretty piss-poor example of a firearms owner (would get drunk and threaten to shoot others and himself, once pulled a pistol on his own brother over a pretty minor dispute.) Luckily, her grandfather also owns guns and was a better example. After we were married, she got a little more comfortable just being around guns, in general (I like to think that was because of my example) - and got used to shooting my .22 pistol. One day, I explained to her that I didn't want to push her but that I really would like her to learn to shoot at least some type of handgun in a defensive caliber as well as a shotgun and maybe a rifle. I told her that the reason was that, although we are only in our late 30s and will both hopefully have several more years, you never know what might happen. Plus, even if we live to a ripe, old age I might go first. I told her that if I go first, it would bring me at least some peace of mind to know that she could defend herself if I am not around. I think that, plus the idea of adding to her self-sufficiency, helped convince her to start.

She now has a single shot 20 gauge (she picked it out at a gunshow and I bought it for her) that is her 'beginning' shotgun. She likes the simplicity and safety of the single - I'm hoping to work her up to a pump, eventually. She has also learned to shoot a snubnosed .357 (loaded with .38 Specials) pretty darned well. At least well enough that she passed her carry class with it. We'll work on a rifle, later.

Edited by JAB