XD trade

Il Duce

So I have been thinking of trading my XD45 Compact for a XD9 or even a XD40 subcompact because A) ammo is a lot cheaper and :up: ammo is more readily available. I hate having a EDC that I cannot practice with a lot because ammo cannot be found or I cannot afford it. I can get 100rd of 9 or 40 for the same price almost and knockdown power is basically the same with the modern type ammo and not to mention i can fire off rounds quicker than i can with the 45. this type of thinking may land me in the loony bin though

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I came real close to sending you a pm but remembered why I bought my XD9 in the first place . My advice Keep the XD45 and buy a XD9 for fun. Id much rather have the .45 for my carry gun . Ammo power difference ......well lets put it like this would you rather be hit by a semi truck going 65 mph or a motorcycle at 80 .I wouldn't want to be hit by either but I bet my chances would be better with the Motorcycle.

You tempted me greatly, til I remembered trading for a XD 4" from my bil. But, and it saddens me to say this, I think I have enough 45 pistols for now.:hat:

But, I'd agree. Keep the 45 and locate an xdsc. I lucked into a lnib trade in for under 400.

The reasons you stated are the reasons I stick with 9mm. For me slightly better "knockdown power" isn't worth the difference in ammo cost and availability. First, with modern JHP, I think the differences in effectiveness are exagerated. More importantly, a bigger hole doesn't help if you don't hit the target, and you're more likley to hit the target if you're practicing twice as much. I'm not putting down the .45 caliber at all, but I prefer 9mm as a primary carry caliber.

Edited by JReedEsq

Personally I wouldn't go from a .45 to a 9mm because of the cost of ammo as far as just target loads for range shooting. I do keep higher priced rounds loaded for defensive situations, but when I go shooting I usually just go to the Wally World and pick up some target loads, which pricing isn't very different on. Bought a box of 100 for my .40 just Saturday at $33, and their boxes of 100 for the .45 were only about $2 more per box, and there was plenty in stock. Best bet is to look around at all of the stores that carry ammo, especially the Wal-Marts. Find out who has the best prices, and also which store location seems to keep ammo on the shelf the most. I have a couple of locations that seem like they never sell any ammo, because their shelves are always full.

Ammo availability has improved considerably in the last couple weeks. I think maybe the hoarders have finally decided they have enough. The same 400 rounds of .45 WWB has been on the shelf at the local wal-mart for 2 weeks. It wouldn't sit there for 30 minutes 3 months ago. They've got several thousand 9mm on the shelf.

My carry gun is also a .45 (PT145) and while I shoot it at every range trip, I put twice as many rounds through my 9mm (P85). So my advice is to find a 9mm to practice with and keep the .45. As long as the guns are similar, I don't think it makes much difference.

And for the record, I love the XD45C and would really like to have one.

Try Sportsman's Warehouse in Chattanooga that's where I bought mine if you are looking for new. I have the XD9 4" service model with the XD gear extras: mag pouch, holster, speed loader,hard shell case ,& two 16 rnd mags . It was $489 before taxes and background check .I think it was $449 for just the gun and two mags.

You can always check out Cabelas for ammo:

Cabela's -- Winchester USA Handgun Ammunition - Per 100

I found stuff there when it was hard to find other places.

I agree with the carry and practice being 2 different calibers as long as you put a couple of mags of your carry ammo through the carry weapon when you are at the range. The difference being 40 cents and a dollar a round for the 45 and 27 cents and a dollar for 9mm. The personal defense rounds are about the same for both.

The question becomes if saving 13 cents per shot is money wise?

But I would get the 9 Just because.

I currently have 380, 357, 9 and 40 but am picking up a 45 the end of the week. I so far have found "Perfectly good" reasons to have each caliber and to keep them. In an emergency you do not know what will be available.

.40 S&W isn't all that much cheaper than .45 these days.

I don't know where you buy your ammo, but I see .40 all day long at about 14 for a box of 50. When I see .45, which isn't often, it's priced at around 24 for a box of 50. If you're lucky, you might see it for 17, but that isn't often.

I don't know where you buy your ammo, but I see .40 all day long at about 14 for a box of 50. When I see .45, which isn't often, it's priced at around 24 for a box of 50. If you're lucky, you might see it for 17, but that isn't often.

Thats exactly what I see to.

I buy .45 at Walmart for $16 or $17 per 50.

Guest motonut

Because of shoulder problems I'm having right now I'm dropping down from .40's to 9mm's. I've ordered conversion barrels for 2 guns and may for a 3rd too. I kind of doubt you can go from a .45 to a 9mm but you might check.

I just bought 500 rds. each of .223 and 9mm from DansAmmo, at a heck of a lot better price than my local gun shop.

Edit: Just finished installing the 9mm conversion barrel (EFK) in the XD (formerly 40) Sub. The mags should be here tomorrow.

Edited by motonut
Guest tbone

I think it is perfectly logical to step down from .45 to 9mm for all of the reasons listed above. I did the same a year ago and have not regretted it. In a compact carry pistol, the 9mm is more controllable and you get more shots. I still have a few .45s and love shooting it occasionally at the range. I think your reasoning is on point and you should go with it. I do agree with those who have suggested keeping your .45 and supplementing it with the 9mm. We can never have too many guns!

Guest VolGrad

Nothing wrong with getting the same pistol in 9mm if you want cheaper ammo and faster back on target. It's all a matter of preference. Nothing crazy about that.