Memphis Appleseed!

Guest dart67eb

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dart67eb

I just did a walk-through of the Como range. 600yds. Nice! The club will make sure we have overhead cover on the line. This will be the best facility in the state when completed.

Guest clownsdd

Not to bash or insult or hurt anyone's feelings, but

Isn't it interesting how when someone in the area wants attention to a program they seem to insert "Memphis" into it?

This has nothing to do with Memphis, much less Tennessee, as much as the area south of Memphis seems to bash the town. I won't be there.

Isn't it interesting how when someone in the area wants attention to a program they seem to insert "Memphis" into it?

This has nothing to do with Memphis, much less Tennessee, as much as the area south of Memphis seems to bash the town. I won't be there.

I think it was simply for area reference. Hardly anyone knows Como, MS and since most of the crowd draw is Memphis I'd consider it appropriate.

Guest clownsdd

Ya'll are missing my point. If you have a gathering in Como, MS. Memphis has nothing to do with the topic, except using it as a reference. Memphis is bashed from N,S, E & W......use Tunica, Southaven, Olive Branch, whatever. Memphis has absolutely nothing to do with this post except let people know what it is close to. Use another reference for your advertisement.

Edited by clownsdd
Ya'll are missing my point. If you have a gathering in Como, MS. Memphis has nothing to do with the topic, except using it as a reference. Memphis is bashed from N,S, E & W......use Tunica, Southaven, Olive Branch, whatever. Memphis has absolutely nothing to do with this post except let people know what it is close to. Use another reference for your advertisement.

We got your point, just think you might need to get some Midol.:lol: Seriously though, I spent 16 years in Memphis and if there was something to get offended by this isn't it.

Guest jackdm3

You may be right. The translators say something like, "this is what the 'machine' came up with." Buuuuuuuut, machines are never wrong. "Garbage In/Garbage Out" they all say.

Memphis is used as a reference point. If the location of Desota Rifle and Pistol Club is given as 50 miles south of Olive Branch, many will not know where the range is. About 50 miles south of Memphis offers a much better description. Last year some shooting equipment stolen at an Appleseed - it was near Lobelville, TN not Memphis. TN!

I think Como was the one of a few places that the organizer to find to handle this shoot. Maybe because of cost, range distance, etc. I dont think he picked Como because of its tourism. I dont think he skipped Memphis to bash it. If he could have found a facility in Memphis that fit his requirement he may has used that facililty.

I don't think i have ever seen the OP bash Memphis. Como was just the facility he selected.

Besides, where exactly in Memphis has a 300 yard range to accomadate several maybe dozens of shooters?

Lets get back on topic. Look up http://www.appleseedinfo.org/ The event looks fun to me. It may be to hot in July but there is a Sept appleeseed.

Edited by gotigers

Memphis Sports Shooting Association and Desoto Rifle and Pistol (with 2 ranges) are the only ranges in southwest TN that could handle an Appleseed event. The Agricenter range was closed to the public due to the wisdom? of our local government. BTW, it'll still be hot in Sept!

Edited by tnhawk
Not offended at all, just found it interesting. As for a reference point, let them get the address and google it.

Or you could just chill out with your unnecessary overly-defensive reaction...

Guest dart67eb

Folks,

I put in Memphis Appleseed because it was the first event that you wouldn't have to spend the night or commit to a 3 hour ride to attend. Maybe I should have put in Memphis Area Appleseed. If it matters that much, maybe a mod could fix it.

I tried to set one up at MSSA but the club secretary let me know that I could have time in front of the board, but it would be a waste of my time. I have invited some MSSA members to join me at Como and hopefully this might convince them to host one. If anybody reading this could help out, I sure would appreciate it.

I did try The old Shelby County Sheriff's Range, but since that is now run by a conservancy, they want no part of it. I also tried T1G in Crawfordsville, AR but their training calendar is full.

Regarding the heat, last week I was at the Puryear, TN shoot and the temp was 100. The firing line was covered as Como will be, and since we got there early, it wasn't unbearable. If there was no shade, it'd be too much. That being said, the hardest part was coming back out after going into the air conditioned clubhouse for lunch and history. Even that was something you got over after a half hour or so.

Anyway, I'll be there because it's something I believe in. I think every American should be a proficient rifleman like our forefathers and everyone should know what they gave up so we can enjoy the liberties we have today. I bring my kids so they can learn what they don't learn in school and so they can value this thing we call liberty. That's why I volunteer.

If you can't deal with the heat because of physical problems, I understand. I will try to set up more shoots in temperate weather. However, if you could spread the word to those who can make it, you'd be doing more than many others. Anyway, I hope to see some of reading this you there and I will be giving my time freely to give you the best rifle marksmanship and heritage instruction that I can.

Guest stmccann
Folks,

I put in Memphis Appleseed because it was the first event that you wouldn't have to spend the night or commit to a 3 hour ride to attend. Maybe I should have put in Memphis Area Appleseed. If it matters that much, maybe a mod could fix it.

I tried to set one up at MSSA but the club secretary let me know that I could have time in front of the board, but it would be a waste of my time. I have invited some MSSA members to join me at Como and hopefully this might convince them to host one. If anybody reading this could help out, I sure would appreciate it.

I did try The old Shelby County Sheriff's Range, but since that is now run by a conservancy, they want no part of it. I also tried T1G in Crawfordsville, AR but their training calendar is full.

Regarding the heat, last week I was at the Puryear, TN shoot and the temp was 100. The firing line was covered as Como will be, and since we got there early, it wasn't unbearable. If there was no shade, it'd be too much. That being said, the hardest part was coming back out after going into the air conditioned clubhouse for lunch and history. Even that was something you got over after a half hour or so.

Anyway, I'll be there because it's something I believe in. I think every American should be a proficient rifleman like our forefathers and everyone should know what they gave up so we can enjoy the liberties we have today. I bring my kids so they can learn what they don't learn in school and so they can value this thing we call liberty. That's why I volunteer.

If you can't deal with the heat because of physical problems, I understand. I will try to set up more shoots in temperate weather. However, if you could spread the word to those who can make it, you'd be doing more than many others. Anyway, I hope to see some of reading this you there and I will be giving my time freely to give you the best rifle marksmanship and heritage instruction that I can.

Just a ?? about the Como shoot. I was hoping to bring teenage daughters (14/16) and allow them to shoot their 10/22. The Appleseed website indicates that the Saturday shoot is 25 meters to practice skills, and for Sunday, if the facilities allow, selected shooters would shoot actual distance out to 500 meters. Obviously a 10/22 isn't doing that. Do you know if the Sunday shoot will use the graduated target size to simulate longer distance shooting?

The September dates sound good for us if we can get a full weekend out of it.

In Liberty -

Sean

Guest dart67eb

We take the shooters that have made rifleman or are close to it and with a .22 either use a smaller target at 100 yds or 200 yds. A .22 can hit a 300 yd target depending on the wind and sights with I believe a 31 moa come up. Some sights can't adjust to this so we do 100yds or 200 yds. It lets the shooter see that what they learned actually applies at distance. They will see that if they can consistantly shoot a 1" group (4moa) at 25 yds, they will shoot a 4" group at 100yds (still 4moa). They will also see that they are 6" low at 100 yds so if they adjust their sights up 6moa, they will be right on. For 200 yds it is @ 14 moa. Centerfire rifles are done the same way but different come-ups. So the short answer is, yes they will learn a lot and they will see how it applies at distance.

A couple more things. Make sure you each have your own rifle. Marlin 795's are on sale at Dick's and I prefer them. Scopes or tech-sights are much better than the standard blade sights, especially when it comes to adjusting them and width of the front sight.

Also, why not come next month? If you do, I can almost guarantee you'll be back in Sept. Otherwise, after the Sept shoot you'll be chomping at the bit waiting for the next one. If you have any other questions, PM me your # and I can call you.

Edited by dart67eb
Guest stmccann
We take the shooters that have made rifleman or are close to it and with a .22 either use a smaller target at 100 yds or 200 yds. A .22 can hit a 300 yd target depending on the wind and sights with I believe a 31 moa come up. Some sights can't adjust to this so we do 100yds or 200 yds. It lets the shooter see that what they learned actually applies at distance. They will see that if they can consistantly shoot a 1" group (4moa) at 25 yds, they will shoot a 4" group at 100yds (still 4moa). They will also see that they are 6" low at 100 yds so if they adjust their sights up 6moa, they will be right on. For 200 yds it is @ 14 moa. Centerfire rifles are done the same way but different come-ups. So the short answer is, yes they will learn a lot and they will see how it applies at distance.

A couple more things. Make sure you each have your own rifle. Marlin 795's are on sale at Dick's and I prefer them. Scopes or tech-sights are much better than the standard blade sights, especially when it comes to adjusting them and width of the front sight.

Also, why not come next month? If you do, I can almost guarantee you'll be back in Sept. Otherwise, after the Sept shoot you'll be chomping at the bit waiting for the next one. If you have any other questions, PM me your # and I can call you.

Appreciate the info. Gonna be outta town on the July weekend, and September seems like the right call. I'll be checking out the Marlin's - I see that they can add a sling easily. The Ruger 10/22 compact the ladies currently have has no provision for sling connections and I'd rather not add aftermarket stuff like that.

One more question - what kind of magnification would you recommend on a scope for this training? I'm an old M-16 iron sights trained unit, and know zero about real optics. Guess I should learn since the dinosaur eyes aren't as good as they used to be....

Take care,

Sean

Guest dart67eb
Appreciate the info. Gonna be outta town on the July weekend, and September seems like the right call. I'll be checking out the Marlin's - I see that they can add a sling easily. The Ruger 10/22 compact the ladies currently have has no provision for sling connections and I'd rather not add aftermarket stuff like that.

One more question - what kind of magnification would you recommend on a scope for this training? I'm an old M-16 iron sights trained unit, and know zero about real optics. Guess I should learn since the dinosaur eyes aren't as good as they used to be....

Take care,

Sean

I bought the cheap Walmart 4x scopes and they work fine on the marlin. I'll eventually move up to tech-sights on one of them.

Marlin 60 & 795 Rifle - adjustable aperture sights

I just did a walk-through of the Como range. 600yds. Nice! The club will make sure we have overhead cover on the line. This will be the best facility in the state when completed.

I was working at the Comco range today and will be again in the morning. Unfortunately, I wouldn't expect the line to have any cover. I would bring plenty of water and ice.

Edited by tnhawk
Guest dart67eb
I was working at the Comco range today and will be again in the morning. Unfortunately, I wouldn't expect the line to have any cover. I would bring plenty of water and ice.

I talked to the club president the other day and he said the club will be purchasing some of those Sam's Club 10x20 shelters. Otherwise, I was going to rig something up with PVC and tarps. Water and ice is a must, though.