Carry at Calhoun's in Lenoir City - legal or not?

Okay, first, I realize that the jerk who owns Calhoun's was one of the bozos trying to block the restaurant carry law from passing last year (funny - seems like he was strangely quiet, this year.) Further, I consider him a complete hypocrite because after complaining so much about the law before its passage, his restaurants weren't posted after it passed.

That said, there are still times when friends and/or family may want to eat there and I don't want to let my annoyance at that jerk cause me to miss spending time with folks I want to spend time with. Therefore, like it or not, there are times I will be eating at Calhoun's. Maybe that makes me a hypocrite, too (it kind of feels like it) but that is just the way it is.

The reason for the question is that the Calhoun's in Lenoir City is at the Marina. I am wondering if that is actually on TVA land. I'm pretty sure that the park, etc. around it is on TVA property and it is, of course, right there at the Loudon Dam. I even have to wonder if the land that Calhoun's actually sits on is owned by Calhoun's or leased from TVA. Either way, I wonder about the legality of carrying in a restaurant that is sitting in the middle of a TVA property? Is it legal to carry on a TVA managed property?

Of course, I guess this question applies to pretty much any restaurant so situated. I'm pretty sure that Calhoun's isn't the only such restaurant in TN - or even in this area. In fact, there is another little eatery that is kind of next to Calhouns, although it changes hands and closes then reopens so often I am never sure if it is in business or not.

Edited by JAB
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there 2 weeks ago. Not posted. Calhouns is private property and a private enterprise. It is not park property, and the roadway to it is public domain. I ate at the one on Bearden Hill at lunch today too BTW. Carried and no postings of any kind.

Further, I consider him a complete hypocrite because after complaining so much about the law before its passage, his restaurants weren't posted after it passed.

so let me get this straight. You were mad that the owner of Calhouns, ( actually Copper Cellar Inc, they own a slew of restaurants) came out against the guns in bars law. Then you were mad again because while he was against it before it passed he did not post his places after is became law? Do I have this right? If so I wonder what he did wrong. he seemed to have followed the law and allowed guns in his places of business.

so let me get this straight. You were mad that the owner of Calhouns, ( actually Copper Cellar Inc, they own a slew of restaurants) came out against the guns in bars law. Then you were mad again because while he was against it before it passed he did not post his places after is became law? Do I have this right? If so I wonder what he did wrong. he seemed to have followed the law and allowed guns in his places of business.

The reason is that he, like some other restaurant owners, were whining that they were against the law because of 'safety concerns'. If these owners truly believed that having folks carry in their restaurants was not safe, you would think they would have posted to prohibit carry once the law went into effect in order to maintain safety in their establishments. The fact that Calhouns did not post indicates, to me, that they must not have had all that strong of 'safety concerns' - which leads me to believe that their real objections came down to fear of a loss of profits due to suddenly having to make a business decision, themselves - the same business decision that other businesses in TN were already making - rather than having the state make it for them.

Now, I realize that a potential loss of profits is a legitimate concern for a business owner - but these restaurant owners should have just come out and said that (and I believe some business owners did - although I think that their concerns were unfounded) and left it at that rather than trying to add to the BS claims that an HCP holder carrying a firearm for self defense suddenly becomes a threat if he or she happens to be eating in the same room where someone else is having a beer, glass of wine, etc.

Here is a quote from Mike Chase discussing last year's law which was still a bill at the time, I believe:

http://blogs.knoxnews.com/flory/2009/03/

"Water goes with scotch. Coke goes with Jack Daniels - but guns and alcohol just don't mix," Chase said. "It'll be worse than the Wild West - back then, they wore their guns on their hips where you could see them. Wyatt Earp made them take off their guns when they went into bars. This is ridiculous. Crazy. There are a million scenarios where this could be a disaster - jealous boyfriends, jealous girlfriends, jealous spouses. It's a bad, bad idea, and whoever is pushing it is absolutely irresponsible. I am always going to oppose anything that will endanger my customers and employees."

If he truly believed that restaurant carry would "endanger" his "customers and employees", shouldn't he have at least put up a sign? Doesn't the lack of doing so show him to simply be a liar, spoiuting that same, old fearmongering "It will be worse than the Wild West," BS that we hear over and over - which is even worse because apparently he didn't really even believe that garbage when he was spouting it.

Edited by JAB

"Sort" of federal.

Some campgrounds have "no guns" "rules".

- OS

Which is even more confusing now that some federal lands - like National Parks, etc. are a go for carry. Also, I have to wonder if the 'no guns' rule at those campgrounds make an exception for HCP holders - sort of like last year when carrying in restaurants that served was legal for HCP holders. The 'Misdemeanor' signs stayed up - and still applied to everyone else - but having an HCP was a 'defense' to the charge.

Guest TargetShooter84
What about Calhoun's on the river off Neyland Dr.?

That legal to carry?

I take it its illegal then, since no answer to this one.

I take it its illegal then, since no answer to this one.
Is it posted?

If not, perfectly legal, like any other business.

- OS

The reason I was curious about the one in Lenoir City is because of it's proximity to TVA managed land - and possible location on TVA land. I was unsure as to the legality of carrying on TVA managed property.

To my knowledge, there is no such or similar concern where the Neyland Drive or either Kingston Pike locations are concerned. Is the Neyland Drive location on TVA managed land? If so, I was unaware of that. Of course, carrying just up the road and across the street on UT campus would not be legal.

Now, I am not sure of the legality of carrying in the 'Waterfront Park' area next to Calhouns. I think that is a Knoxville facility and would probably fall under the city ordinance assessing a fine for folks caught carrying in city parks. Honestly, though, I haven't been there since I worked in downtown Knoxville more than ten years ago so I really don't remember the exact layout.