starting to watch out for signs now, better safe then sorry.

I am starting to watch for Posted signs everyplace I go.

Even when I get my HCP, I don't plan to carry all the time, but there will be times I will carry.

However, I am starting now to watch to start to get in the habit to look for the signs.

I now know the famous 14x6 signs used by Oak Ridge for the city parks that I still believe are far to small, as you can drive by them to easy when you are watching for traffic and other people walking in front of you as you drive.

However, I think It might be nice to maybe and this is just a suggestion get a sticky thread in the Firearms Law FAQ area to Post a Picture of Each of the Signs that are Legally required a place to be posted as a no carry zone.

Like, what a business has to post on their door way, and a description about how it should be and so forth.

So far, I have not see any business' that I visit posted or I have walked by their signs and have not noticed. I am not carrying yet, like I said, I am just now starting to watch for the signs.

I already know what I plan to make my first legal OC when I get my HCP.

I am going to go out for some food, a place where they know me.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest s10manual

Once I finished my HCP class, I started watching almost ever door I enter. I was quite happy about the amount of places that aren't posted. Once my permit came in the mail, I went and got a holster. I even carry when I'm mowing my lawn. Just because I can. :shake:

To me, it's almost a game to watch every place I go for posting status. Plus, with the new regulations, I can LEGALLY resume eating at my favourite restaurants! If they decide to post, I'll decide not to eat there. :hat:

Guest pws_smokeyjones

I have heard rumors of Hardee's locations being posted. Let us know what you find out about the one in Oak Ridge vontar.

Oh, and nice avatar by the way. :P

I have not been there in over 2 months, since I went on a diet to lower my cholesterol. It is either I lower it on my own or start Meds. I want to try it on my own first. So I gave up fast food over night. However if they are not posted I will make an exception. I may make a non carry visit to check.

It would have to be posted on All Doors right? Not on some odd window location correct?

Guest db99wj

Seems like most restaurants have a ton of signs about this and that, it is difficult to notice what they say, especially when you are trying to be aware of hour surrondings and watch after yor 4 kids so they don't get hit by a car. I just don't see signs that much.

Seems like most restaurants have a ton of signs about this and that, it is difficult to notice what they say, especially when you are trying to be aware of hour surrondings and watch after yor 4 kids so they don't get hit by a car. I just don't see signs that much.

Last year, after the restaurant carry law passed and before it was shot down, I was known on a couple of occasions to simply drive through a few parking lots here and there - close to the entrances - so I could see if places I liked to go were posting. Honestly, I was quite pleased with how few did.

Well today after work, I stopped in at Hardee's (Oak Ridge), Mind you, I am not carrying yet. Not Posted on their door.

On their door was their hours and a no smoking sign. I guess it is always subject to change I guess all they would have to do is have one laying around and walk over to the doors and slap one up quick. However, As of just after 3pm today I could not find one on their door.

Yea, I can see how this is going to be a bit of a game, where can I go, who will get my business, as when I am carrying, I have decided I will not be leaving my pistol in my truck. So if my pistol is not welcome, I will consider I am not welcome.

Besides, if they don't welcome HCP holders that have had background checks, I don't think i want to be around the criminals that they would freely open their doors for and will do my best to take my business else where when ever possible.

well, i see Lincoln's Sports Bar and Grille in Oak Ridge made the list. That is fine with me. I haven't been back since they charged my credit card 3 times for one visit. Yes I got discover to fix that.

It makes me want to visit, walk up to the door they are so nice to meet you at and open for you, stop, look at it, turn around to leave. When they ask something about why I am leaving, point at the sign and say I believe I am not welcome and leave.

Edited by vontar
cleaning it up some.
Well today after work, I stopped in at Hardee's (Oak Ridge), Mind you, I am not carrying yet. Not Posted on their door.

On their door was their hours and a no smoking sign. I guess it is always subject to change I guess all they would have to do is have one laying around and walk over to the doors and slap one up quick. However, As of just after 3pm today I could not find one on their door.

Of course Hardee's would have always had to post to prohibit carry as they don't serve alcohol. So not sure how many non-alcohol serving restaurants are going to post all of a sudden now.

The ones to watch are the ones that haven't had to post to prohibit handguns as carry was prohibited by law. But will have to post now if the still want to prohibit carry.

Hmmm, Still learning but Looking around at the posts about what places are posted and reading how some places are posted but not posted correctly let me ask this follow up.

What is the legal requirement for a business post that people can not carry, is there no standard sign to watch for?

Hmmm, Still learning but Looking around at the posts about what places are posted and reading how some places are posted but not posted correctly let me ask this follow up.

What is the legal requirement for a business post that people can not carry, is there no standard sign to watch for?

It just changed, of course:

"(1) An individual, corporation, business entity or local, state or

federal government entity or agent thereof is authorized to prohibit the

possession of weapons by any person who is at a meeting conducted by,

or on property owned, operated, or managed or under the control of the

individual, corporation, business entity or government entity.

(2) The prohibition in subdivision (1) shall apply to any person

who is authorized to carry a firearm by authority of § 39-17-1351.

(:D

(1) Notice of the prohibition permitted by subsection (a) shall be

accomplished by displaying one (1) or both of the notices described in

subdivision (3) in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily

used by persons entering the property, building, or portion of the property

or building where weapon possession is prohibited.

(2) The notice required by this section shall be in English, but a

duplicate notice may also be posted in any language used by patrons,

customers or persons who frequent the place where weapon possession

is prohibited.

(3)

(A) If a sign is used as the method of posting, it shall contain

language substantially similar to the following:

AS AUTHORIZED BY TCA § 39-17-1359, POSSESSION

OF A WEAPON ON POSTED PROPERTY OR IN A

POSTED BUILDING IS PROHIBITED AND IS A

CRIMINAL OFFENSE.

(:D As used in this section, “language substantially similar

to†means the sign contains language plainly stating that:

(1) Notice of the prohibition permitted by subsection (a) shall be accomplished

by displaying one (1) or both of the notices described in subdivision (3) in prominent

locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the property,

building, or portion of the property or building where weapon possession is prohibited.

Either form of notice used shall be of a size that is plainly visible to the average person

entering the building, property, or portion of the building or property, posted.

(i) The property is posted under authority of Tennessee law;

(ii) Weapons or firearms are prohibited on the property, in the building, or on the portion of the property or

building that is posted; and

(iii) Possessing a weapon in an area that has been posted is a criminal offense.

© A building, property or a portion of a building or

property, shall be considered properly posted in accordance with

this section if one (1) or both of the following is displayed in

prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by

persons entering the property, building, or portion of the property

or building where weapon possession is prohibited:

(i) The international circle and slash symbolizing

the prohibition of the item within the circle; or

(ii) The posting sign described in this subdivision"

- OS

Well the last amendment changed the wording of the sign in 39-17-1359(:)(3)(A) slightly

AS AUTHORIZED BY TCA § 39-17-1359, POSSESSION OF A WEAPON ON POSTED PROPERTY OR IN A POSTED BUILDING IS PROHIBITED AND IS A CRIMINAL OFFENSE

You can see all the changes the new law made in this post.