Why are people afraid to pass the police?

Guest Tygarys

Guest jackdm3
" And I see that bad moon a risen"

" And I see trouble on the way "

Jenny's breath smells like cigarettes

Momma said these were my runnin shoes

and thats all I have to say about that

And y'all say I'm the only odd one here.:hat:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest db99wj

I tailgate them, flash my lights at them, flip them off...especially Bartlett cops!

Just kidding, I will pass, no problem, if they are under the speed limit. I really don't give it much thought. I have seen the "herd" going down the interstate.

What about on a two lane road, leo driving less than speed limit, you have broken lines so it is ok to pass, do you? I've never had that situation come up, but I don't know if I would or not, unless they were going very slow.

Guest Caveman
I tailgate them, flash my lights at them, flip them off...especially Bartlett cops!

Just kidding, I will pass, no problem, if they are under the speed limit. I really don't give it much thought. I have seen the "herd" going down the interstate.

What about on a two lane road, leo driving less than speed limit, you have broken lines so it is ok to pass, do you? I've never had that situation come up, but I don't know if I would or not, unless they were going very slow.

Honestly, I don't think I would take it that far. Assuming they are under the speed limit by 10 mph or so, I would most likely have to break the speed limit to pass them before another car came or the line became solid again. Of course all that depends on how long the broken line is, how fast they are going and how much traffic is on the road.

Many years ago, as a young cop I was taking college courses in my off duty time, shortly after attending the academy. I remember reading in one of my CJ textbooks about police-phobia. This was not a clinical name, just a known phenomenom that most people, honest, law abiding folks, get very nervous around cops. Then the fact that they think cops notice that and think they are guilty, makes them even more nervous. Most cops expect that and it's different than the hinky feeling you get when you sometimes can tell you are dealing with a real bad guy. Anyway, I suspect this goes into play somewhat when the "afraid to pass a cop" situation occurs.

The more you deal with cops, the more you realize the nervousness in not necessary. 99% are working schmucks like the rest of us that want to do their jobs and go home and beat...er I mean hug and kiss the wife and kids. :P

I have had some LEO's tell me passing them is a sign of disrespect (to them) because usually when it happens the passers are flipping them off or making "pig faces" at them. I can't imagine a person being dumb enough to flip off a cop, but apparently it happens. Either way, if the LEO is going under the speed limit I will pass them, but I will be minding my P's and Q's while doing so.

Dude, this had me laughing out loud. Some people are so stupid they're just funny.

Guest redbarron06

I have actually cornered one of my buddies that is a cop and asked him if they do it on purpose. He fessed up and admitted to it from time to time. If they are running under the limit I will pass them doing the limit, road conditions permitting. It does make me mad though that everybody behind them will slow down and clog the road.

I dont know about TN but in GA it is legal to flip off a cop. It has already been faught all the way to the State Supreme Court. It is covered under "free speach". I am not saying it is a smart thing to do but it is legal.

Guest Glock23ForMe
Time for you to learn the same lesson some other folks did last night.

banhammer_forecast.gif

On topic:

I hate this, whenever a THP is riding in the right lane at 65 when its supposed to be 70 and there are like 500 idiots stacked up behind him waiting on him to exit. Just hit cruise at 72 and pass right on by him... I slowly make my way through and pass... Haven't gotten pulled over yet... (Knock on wood)

Guest manofsteel

I have a friend that is a leo he said he does the slow drive thing for fun (see how many he can stack up). he also said he catches dui's that way, they nose dive the car when they see his car going slow cause they think they are speeding. irratic driving is a reason to pull them over.:P

Guest Glock23ForMe
I have a friend that is a leo he said he does the slow drive thing for fun (see how many he can stack up).

Not trying to be crude, but that is extremely dangerous... All those cars that close together... Another reason the idiot DRIVERS should pass the cop in the right or left lane. Honestly, just pass him.. Because if you don't, there are 50 cars about 2 feet from one another, one person makes a bad career move and kills 10 people.

Guest Jamie
Time for you to learn the same lesson some other folks did last night.

My, my... people come and go so quickly around here... :lol:

As for why people don't pass the police, well that's simple; if you've got a cop in front of you, ya don't have one behind you. ;)

By the way, the ones that really piss police off are the dummies that pass a cop without noticing, figure out what they've done, then immediately panic and pull over into the right lane, slowing down to 10 under, slowing everybody up... :P

J.

I've never done it myself, but if I remember right from a discussion in a h/s law class you can legally pass them if they are going under the speed limit and are in a passing zone. I'm not sure on it anymore, and even if it were the case then I know laws change, but I also believe it was mentioned that you could go above the speed limit to get around them safely as long as you reduced your speed once you got back in the normal lane.

None of that is anything I would try, because doing so even if legal draws attention to yourself from the officer. Personally where driving is concerned I prefer to fly under the radar so to speak.

Guest db99wj
FWIW, I pass cops all the time if they are driving under the speed limit. I don't go racing by them but I'll definitely do the legal limit +/- to get to where I'm going.

:P

Well you do have a HCP badge around your neck....:lol:

I wonder what would happen if the LEO came to a complete stop, would they all stop behind him?

Along time ago in Drivers ED, I remember something about passing on a two lane that you could speed up, even past the speed limit, and then slow down back to speed limit, as long as it was safe and the person was driving under the speed limit.

Guest Caveman
FWIW, I pass cops all the time if they are driving under the speed limit. I don't go racing by them but I'll definitely do the legal limit +/- to get to where I'm going.

:P

Yeah, but you are an exception, most of the cops in your area won't pull you over because they don't want to get banned from TGO. ;) I kid, I kid....:lol:

this happened again today on 640. Herd of cars doing under the speed limit, wall to wall. Up ahead I spy a car that looks similar to a KNoxville cop car except it has yellow lights on the roof, not blue. As I worm my way up closer I see it is a car marked "Police Cadets". I finally got next to it and it looked like a couple of 18 year olds. They were not going to issue any tickets period.

I left them in my dust.

Guest Glock23ForMe
Yeah, but you are an exception, most of the cops in your area won't pull you over because they don't want to get banned from TGO. :D I kid, I kid....:popcorn:

I know, right.. I mean, even if they did pull him over, they'd walk up to his window and see the

BANHAMMER.png?1250716893

laying in the back seat, know he was TGO's admin and say, "Have a great day, sir. I'm sorry for stopping you. Please drive safe."

:drama:

(All in good fun, I promise)

Edited by Glock23ForMe

If I'm driving below the speed limit have at it and pass me. You can't exceed the speed limit to pass a vehicle or to change lanes. Also if the people behind a patrol car are two feet away from each other they are way too close. That's probably the number one reason for crashes is following too closely or driving while dumb.

I see this almost everyday. Not only will people not past local cops, they will not past cops from other counties or states, UT police cars and private security cars. I guess the bottom line is "Thu shall not pass a car with blue lights".

I pass cops all the time. Passed one doing 120mph, he was sitting on side of road, didn't even move. I figure if I get busted, I'm guilty and will take my medicine.

Had another one right behind me at night on Garden State Parkway for about 20 minutes while doing 80mph. Didn't know it was a cop back there until he passed me.

I can't stand it when packs of wieners slow down traffic because of a slow moving cop. I just pass all of them as long as the cop is not doing anything official. If you're doing nothing wrong, what are you fearful of?

I can't stand people who hit the brakes when they see blue lights 1 mile ahead, or especially when they see a cop with someone pulled over on the other side of a k-rail divided highway. Yeah...as if he's going to drop what he's already doing, magically jump the k-rail and chase you down.