Why are people afraid to pass the police?

Guest Tygarys

Guest Tygarys

Ok, its 3:30am and I've just merged onto 40 and I come up on a big pack (about 20) of cars in the 3 right lanes doing about 50. Now the speed limit here is 65, and I'm running on cruise so I change lanes and begin to pass this group and wonder why everyone is driving so slow. Then I see it, a police car doing about 50 in the far left lane. He's just cruising there, no lights, no siren, nothing. Everyone was just driving behind him scared to death to pass. I just passed the group and kept going. Now, I can understand slowing down if there was something going on, but there wasn't, he was just cruising along. I've seen THP inadvertantly cause a traffic jam doing this on 40 in 70mph zones. They just drive 50-55 and everyone slows down afraid to pass them even though nothing is going on, he just driving a bit slow. :tinfoil:

Is there some law that says you can't pass a police car even if hes doing 15+ below the limit?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

back in my younger days, I did pass a cop Once. he was doing 45 in a 55. I did pass him. I checked and I was certain I was in a 55 zone when I did. nothing bad happened. It was a 2 lane road and I had to wait until I was in a passing zone to be able to pass him. For years, I considered it a right of passaged, that I passed a cop.

However now days, I never see a cop driving at or under the speed limit.

Guest Bluemax

" And I see that bad moon a risen"

" And I see trouble on the way "

Jenny's breath smells like cigarettes

Momma said these were my runnin shoes

and thats all I have to say about that

Guest Boogieman

If it is obvious that the LEO is driving that much slower than the speed limit then I have no problem in passing them. However, sometimes it is difficult to gauge the speed and if it is close enough to the limit I'll hang with the pack. In your situation I'd have passed as well.

I did a ride-a-long a couple of years ago here in Nashville. We were on the way down town to drop off a woman that he had arrested. He was driving about 65-70 in a 55 because this woman was spitting all over the back of the car. I was sure glad that the partition was solid plastic and not bars!

Anyway there were cars passing us on both sides even running at those speeds. I was amazed because I usually see just exactly what you described but that wasn't the case this time.

Is there some law that says you can't pass a police car even if hes doing 15+ below the limit?

Lets go back to the question. I believe only if they have their emergency lights on , maybe they are preforming some traffic control, rolling roadblock.

However if they are just driving slow I do not believe so.

However, anyone feel free to correct me.

I got pulled over a few years ago by a metro cop on I-24 at Briley Parkway for passing him. I was doing the speed limit when I passed and he immediately got behind me. He continued to follow for a mile or so before pulling me over. I was told that he gave me an opportunity to "slow down". At this time I had a baby in NICU at Vandy and once I showed him my bracelet he let me go with no warning or ticket.

He never even ran my license though he did ask to see it.

If it is obvious that the LEO is driving that much slower than the speed limit then I have no problem in passing them. However, sometimes it is difficult to gauge the speed and if it is close enough to the limit I'll hang with the pack. In your situation I'd have passed as well.

My sentiments (and past experience) also.

Nope. Pass away.

Then I see it, a police car doing about 50 in the far left lane.

I hope you meant far right lane. If not, he was in the wrong.

TCA 55-8-115

(:tinfoil: Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

Oh I hate it when poeple are afraid to pass a cop. Sometimes I think they drive a little slower to see if anyone will pass them. Something else that bugs the crap out of me is everyone on the interstate is running 75 MPH, crusing along and come around a bend to find a trooper has someone pulled over. he already has someone pulled over, unless you are running 100mph he ain't even gonna look at you, so DON'T slow down.

Sorry, that really bugs me.

Oh I hate it when poeple are afraid to pass a cop. Sometimes I think they drive a little slower to see if anyone will pass them. Something else that bugs the crap out of me is everyone on the interstate is running 75 MPH, crusing along and come around a bend to find a trooper has someone pulled over. he already has someone pulled over, unless you are running 100mph he ain't even gonna look at you, so DON'T slow down.

Sorry, that really bugs me.

You're suppose to slow down for cop cars that are pulled over.

:rolleyes:Caution! We dont want this to turn to Cop-Bashing!

What value does that add here?

Actually, why are you even on TGO... again?

Isn't there ammo at a Wal Mart that needs resold...

Edited by strickj

I deal with this crap all the time on I-640

never fails that a Knox cop or Knox County car or a THP cruise is running in the right lane doing 55. I get in the left lane and go by them doing 60. They are headed to north I75 or south I 275. They do not care about someone running a few MPH over.

You can tell what is going on before ever seeing them. Massive pack of cars running at 53 mph. I weave by them and get on with my life.

You're suppose to slow down for cop cars that are pulled over.

I always change lanes or slow down, what I'm talking about is the officer is in the right lane and the dumbasses in the left lane are slowing down.

Another thing is if you are driving 75 in a 65 and you see a cop on the side of the road and he does not have somebody already stopped, don't bother slowing down, he already has you if he wants you.

I understand radar, I understand officers on the side of the interstate, or hwy for that matter, doing radar duty. What I don't understand is the idiots that spend 200+ on a "radar detector" and think it gives them a free ride to go as fast as they want where they want, and then when the detector goes off, slam on the brakes and cruise by like they are always obeying the law. Here is a news flash for you, you wasted 200 bucks, here in the hills of TN they ain't worth squat, again by the time you are alerted they got ya if they want ya.

Also they (radar detectors) do NOT work at all on I75 between about the 39 to 30 mile markers. The fog detection devices set them off as well. It's funny to watch people drive up that stretch of road, it's like watching Christmas lights, every time the "detector" detects they tap thier brakes.:)

I don't do it anymore because I had a officer of the law get pissed and pull me over when I passed him. I mentioned this before. I chaulk it up to the guy having a bad day and he was going to take it out on someone. Regardless, I let the officers have their way and I remain polite. No need to take a ride when I can keep my mouth shut. I have heard "You can beat the charge, but you can't beat the ride too many times in Memphis".

Many years ago, as a young cop I was taking college courses in my off duty time, shortly after attending the academy. I remember reading in one of my CJ textbooks about police-phobia. This was not a clinical name, just a known phenomenom that most people, honest, law abiding folks, get very nervous around cops. Then the fact that they think cops notice that and think they are guilty, makes them even more nervous. Most cops expect that and it's different than the hinky feeling you get when you sometimes can tell you are dealing with a real bad guy. Anyway, I suspect this goes into play somewhat when the "afraid to pass a cop" situation occurs.

Guest Caveman

I have had some LEO's tell me passing them is a sign of disrespect (to them) because usually when it happens the passers are flipping them off or making "pig faces" at them. I can't imagine a person being dumb enough to flip off a cop, but apparently it happens. Either way, if the LEO is going under the speed limit I will pass them, but I will be minding my P's and Q's while doing so.