Permit renewal question

Guest JC1848

Guest JC1848

My permit doesn't expire for a few years but was just wondering when the time comes does DOS send a notice or is it up to you to renew it. I read that you may renew six months in advance but coudn't find if they notified. Thanks.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pws_smokeyjones
I got my notice last week in the mail and my permit expiers 9-15-2010.

GLOCKGUY, if you expire in September, you should apply for the renewal very soon. Earlier this year it took right at 3 months for my renewal to come back. I got the new one a week after my old permit expired. the renewal letter they send you says that they will send a 'receipt letter' that you can carry along with your expired permit if necessary but I never got that receipt letter.

From now on I will be renewing a minimum of 4 months prior to expiration.

GLOCKGUY, if you expire in September, you should apply for the renewal very soon. Earlier this year it took right at 3 months for my renewal to come back. I got the new one a week after my old permit expired. the renewal letter they send you says that they will send a 'receipt letter' that you can carry along with your expired permit if necessary but I never got that receipt letter.

From now on I will be renewing a minimum of 4 months prior to expiration.

Good idea to just take the time to do it in person, so you get a receipt in your hand. As long as you have the receipt, doesn't matter how long it takes.

- OS

Wow, why can't they make the renewal like a DL,

Serious, with computers it should be, walk in to the DMV

ok, type in DL number, SSN, computer beeps, talks to computer in Nashville, and comes back, still valid, no change. take picture, hit print.

Dam, do I have to make everything simple for everyone else.

Guys, want to vote me in to Nashville?

Wow, why can't they make the renewal like a DL,

Serious, with computers it should be, walk in to the DMV

ok, type in DL number, SSN, computer beeps, talks to computer in Nashville, and comes back, still valid, no change. take picture, hit print.

Dam, do I have to make everything simple for everyone else.

Guys, want to vote me in to Nashville?

They run the exact same background check again that they did for the original issue, and actually seem to put it on the back burner. Renewals often take longer than the original permit.

- OS

Seems if someone does anything between the time of getting HCP and the renewal that would disqualify them, the database would be updated and it would come up much faster.

I guess in the modern age of computers, our government is are going back to the Flintstones and using birds to write on the stone slabs again.

...and actually seem to put it on the back burner. Renewals often take longer than the original permit.

Yep. My last renewal took over 6 months. I got the letter in Sept saying that the renewal was processing. Didn't get the new HCP until April.

Seems if someone does anything between the time of getting HCP and the renewal that would disqualify them, the database would be updated and it would come up much faster.

I guess in the modern age of computers, our government is are going back to the Flintstones and using birds to write on the stone slabs again.

Nah, they're on top of it -- they just upgraded to IBM ATs with DOS 4.

They blew their budget on a couple of inkjets for the oft mentioned "print farm".

Actually, it's not "their" database they have to check.

- OS

Guest s10manual

The idea of waiting 3 months for a renewal is wild to me. I applied for my permit in early February, and I had my permit in hand around March 12th.

Seriously, again, it should not take them that long to check to see if there has been any updates to the files that would DQ a person from HCP. In the same way as you can renew a DL very fast, they know if you have been suspended for any reason with out a long drawn out process. HCP should be no different.