HCP Duplicate waiting period

Guest cheez

Guest cheez

I did a search and could not find any info on this. I moved and changed my address. I went to TDOS yesterday and had my DL and HCP adresses changed. DL was instant but the examiner told me I could be waiting as long as 6 months for my new HCP with the correct address to come back. I have my old HCP and a reciept to keep me valid until the new card arrives.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

You don't have to have a HCP with your current address on it. All that matters is that it's in the system as your current address. My HCP has my old address on it. My DL has my current address on it. You can toss the receipt, it's of no consequence. Your HCP is valid either way.

Guest cheez
You don't have to have a HCP with your current address on it. All that matters is that it's in the system as your current address. My HCP has my old address on it. My DL has my current address on it. You can toss the receipt, it's of no consequence. Your HCP is valid either way.

Well the branch manager at TDOS office on Cherokee Blvd. in Chattanooga told me to hold onto my receipt until the new card came. She said my HCP was not valid without it. If the HCP is valid with the wrong address then why bother to even change the address at all?

My main question is how long has it taken others to get the new card back.

Well the branch manager at TDOS office on Cherokee Blvd. in Chattanooga told me to hold onto my receipt until the new card came. She said my HCP was not valid without it. If the HCP is valid with the wrong address then why bother to even change the address at all?

My main question is how long has it taken others to get the new card back.

You do have to change your address, but you don't necessarily have to get a new/duplicate HCP or DL.

Some folks change their address online. Of course when you do that it does allow you to print a page saying that you did that as instruction to LEO's

Workers at the DoS office have given out wrong info before...especially when it comes to HCP stuff.

Now if by receipt you mean something that shows you changed your address, then yes you probably do need to keep that. The thing is most of us when here receipt think of the paper you get when you renew your HCP that shows you renewed...which also does need to be kept in case your old HCP expires before the new one comes in. (Which is what the worker may have been thinking about)

Guest cheez
The Department od Safety site says an address change must be made within 60 days. It can be done online if a duplicate license is not needed.

I just went to the site and it says if the DL info changed then the HCP info is automatically updated. I reckon I just pissed away the five bucks TDOS charged me for the new HCP card. Oh well at least when the new HCP card comes back it will match my DL as they took two pics and I had the same shirt on.:lol:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest cheez

Just a quick update. My HCP card with the new address arrived in the mail yesterday. 19 days after the lady at TDOS said it would take 6 months or more.

The Department od Safety site says an address change must be made within 60 days. It can be done online if a duplicate license is not needed.

TCA 55-50-333 says that you must update your Driver's License within 10 days of moving. Yet TCA 39-17-1357 says you must notify them within 60 days for a HCP. You'd think that by updating your DL (same number, same issuing agency, etc.), it would automatically update the HCP as well. Maybe it does both at the same time when you attempt to do one of them?

And like the previous posters said, you don't need a new HCP reflecting the address change. The main reason the address change is required is so that the Dept of Safety has your correct address in the computer and can send you mail if there is action taken against your DL or HCP. They do not forward mail. Half the folks I arrest for driving on a suspended license had no idea they were suspended because they didn't update their address and never got the letters from the state telling them there was a problem.

Guest tnmom2amk

I updated my address online a year ago. My DL had current address and HCP had old one. I just renewed my HCP and have new one in hand...12 days later!!

• Moderators

And like the previous posters said, you don't need a new HCP reflecting the address change. The main reason the address change is required is so that the Dept of Safety has your correct address in the computer and can send you mail if there is action taken against your DL or HCP. They do not forward mail. Half the folks I arrest for driving on a suspended license had no idea they were suspended because they didn't update their address and never got the letters from the state telling them there was a problem.

^This is how I came to spend 3 nights in the care of the fine folks at 201 a number of years ago. :taser: I highly recommend making sure your address is updated with the TDOS. :hat:

tnmom2amk, I had my drivers license renewed in mid May and I needed an address change on both my license and carry permit. Like you said, the license was done immediately. I got my carry permit back just yesterday so I'd say about 6 weeks and you should get yours.

Guest tnmom2amk
tnmom2amk, I had my drivers license renewed in mid May and I needed an address change on both my license and carry permit. Like you said, the license was done immediately. I got my carry permit back just yesterday so I'd say about 6 weeks and you should get yours.

No, that's what I'm saying. I received my newly renewed HCP in less than 2 weeks!!!!! I changed my address for my DL online, but got a new one last year when I got an F endorsement. Renewed my HCP on June 16 and had it in hand June 28!!!! Actually had someone call me on June 18 to ask if I wanted it mailed to my home address or my mailing address (PO BOX)

Gotta say, I was highly impressed, especially after reading that most don't receive it for months.

Guest tnxdshooter

Dude,

I got my hcp up in knoxville, it still has my knoxville address on it. I live in chattanooga now. I advised tdos I was moving soon after I got my permit. The lady there and my attorney both told me to go to the state website and update the address for my drivers license to where I currently live. I am covered according to my attorney and the lady at TDos. According to the website it updates both.

Edited by tnxdshooter
Forgot to add something