BOHICA 50cal upper for an AR? any experience?

Been eyeballing the BOHICA 50cal upper for a AR platform lower. I know the hypotheticals of a 50 on an ar lower but looking for anyone with firsthand experience or even 2nd hand (not through another website though as I've already looked around a lot on the sites w info.). I know it'll be no barrett but starting at 1295 it might be a foot in the door to the 50!

Thanks!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that the upper for the .50BMG round? If it is, I've only seen it in a Shotgun News ad.

Bohica Arms

Lengths: (Upper only) –

Standard A2 lower adds 11-1/2â€

- 16†BBL – 29†OAL

- 24†BBL – 37†OAL

- 30†BBL – 43†OAL

- 36†BBL – 49†OAL

Weights: (Upper only) –

Standard A2 lower adds 2.2 lbs

- 16†– 18 lbs

- 24†– 20.5 lbs

- 30†– 23 lbs

- 36†– 25.5 lbs

Chambers:

- 50 BMG

- 50 MATCH

- 50 DTC-EDM Spec

- 416 Barrett â„¢

- 338 Lapua Magnum

HA! This is from their website

Tactical Carbine Pkg - $1,595

16.5 Barrel

Carbine length free float handguard

Vertical foregrip

Picatinny rail

* The Tactical carbine package does not include a bipod, as it has the vertical foregrip, but a bipod may be included with your order if desired at the price listed in the accessories price guide.

I can't be the only one that DOESNT want to shoot 50bmg from a carbine while holding onto a VFG. Well maybe I do. But probably only once.

I saw where one blew up at the Los Angeles shooting range recently.

BOHICA KABOOM at Angeles 01/10/10 BOLT HANDLE PIC ADDED. - Calguns.net

IMG_0049.jpg

Did you miss this part?

"I didn't take pictures of the shooter out of respect for their privacy.. but his hands/arms were injured pretty badly. He was obviously in tremendous pain as he and his buddies waited quite a while for paramedics. Are paramedics/EMTs supposed to take their sweet time when walking onsite?

Anyhow.. I was told that the shooter(s) often times used a hammer to close the bolt. Feel sorry for the pain and damage the shooter had to endure.. but that's the potential consequence of improper reloading and firearm use."

Did you miss this part?

"I didn't take pictures of the shooter out of respect for their privacy.. but his hands/arms were injured pretty badly. He was obviously in tremendous pain as he and his buddies waited quite a while for paramedics. Are paramedics/EMTs supposed to take their sweet time when walking onsite?

Anyhow.. I was told that the shooter(s) often times used a hammer to close the bolt. Feel sorry for the pain and damage the shooter had to endure.. but that's the potential consequence of improper reloading and firearm use."

I read all 7 pages of the thread. What is your point?

Guest Billetproof

My buddy has one, says the recoil is not as bad as you would think. Know he hasn't shot it a ton (hell, who can afford to?) but has put around 100 round of American Eagle ammo thru it with no problems. I bought two boxes but haven't been able to hook up with him to go try it out. If there is anything specific you're looking for maybe I can ask him.

I read all 7 pages of the thread. What is your point?

Isn't it obvious? Over-load anything and it'll blow up.

To me, there's a big difference between posting that "...one blew up..." rather than stating that one blew up because the reloader over-pressured the round. The former implies manufacturer's negligence where there may not be any, and the latter indicates re-loader's negligence.

Edited by SWJewellTN

I didn't read anything in the thread to imply he had overloaded the rounds. It appears that the gun fired while out of battery. Now this could have been due to a high primer, or could have been a stuck firing pin. No one knows yet. So it is too early to blame a bad reload on this accident. The shooter was in the process of closing the bolt when it went off.

Here are some quotes from the thread:

"I wonder what those numbers on the shell casings represent? The powder charge?

Looks like .50 DTC. Those numbers would be consistent with powder charges for this round. Looks like he was working up a load. "

"It appears that it was an OOBD. It could have been caused by any one of several reasons such as a high primer, a stuck firing pin, etc."

"Round fired w/o the bolt being 100% closed. Him hammering the bolt caused an out of battery explosion of considerable magnitude."

"the shooter had his left hand on the upper receiver holding it and his right hand racking the bolt. for some reason there’s a small 1/8 hole on the side of the upper, and this shot a piece of brass into his left hand. the right hand was damaged from the blast/shrapnel.

the accident happened upon loading the gun. "

Edited by Westwindmike

If it is true that "that the shooter(s) often times used a hammer to close the bolt", then something was clearly very wrong, either with the ammunition or the firearm, and should have been fixed long before the failure.

I had the standard 24'' upper. It shot well when I could keep a scope on it. You cant skimp on rings or a scope for sure but it shot good had no issues when they updated the bolt handle. The old handle was small and weak causing extraction issues. When they sent me new bolt handle it worked perfectly but like you said its no barrett but fun to shoot anyway. I would still have it but i saw a M1A super match i just had to have. If you want to know anything else just ask.

Yeah pretty much just wanting to hear reviews from any local unbiased folks that had shot them or been around one, sounds good so far. I heard too of some blow ups but I think they were old models or bad reloading (they're made to go boom, just goes boom the wrong way sometimes!). And I guess almost any gun ever made has had failures before being man made and man operated and all.

Appreciate the info from everybody!!

Thinkin bout it. Always wanted a 50 and this would be better than spending 3grand to get one. Also the whole you're buying an upper not a whole gun is nice (shipped ups to the house). Can tell the wife honestly I just bought a new barrel not a new gun!

I had looked into them, but I just dont wanna cut any corners when dealing with a cartridge that big.....I think one would be better served saving up $4,000 for a cobb/bushmaster ba50

Take what Magic is saying seriously. A kaboom with a 5.56 sucks and can hurt but one with a .50 BMG can be deadly. I would save my money for something a little more stout.