sr-25 really worth it?

Guest m14man

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Straight Shooter

I akin these to a $5000 1911.

Its like buying a Harley Davidson and paying several thousand dollars for the name, imo.

It depends what you are looking for. KAC is renowned for providing a rifle that out of the box meets under 1moa specs. In addition, most of the features that are options on the Armalite, are standard on the Knight's rifle. The SR-25 has been tested, adopted, and fielded as a standard sniper rifle by several spec-ops groups. The Armalite has only been tested, but not adopted to my knowledge.

Finally, the Knight's rifle comes with magazines that are far superior to the modified M-14 magazines the Armalite uses. M-14 magazines are great in an M-14 or M1A, but they are not particularly suited to the design of the Armalite. Armalite originally chose them due to availability.

Those who have Knight's rifles seem to be well-pleased with them. I guess it's like asking whether a Mustang GT or Corvette ZR1 is a better car. Both do many things in a similar fashion, but the Corvette is designed for a higher level of performance (and cost).

Guest mac_05evo

They're nice but personally I'd get a LaRue OBR. You can used the saved money to put towards good glass. Mine is a tack driver and much more accurate than me. Mine shipped with a .6xx 5 shot test group.

www.laruetactical.com

IMG_4452w.jpg

I went with a DPMS LR 308. For much less and it shoot's less than 1MOA. Take a look at their REPR or SASS model.

This....

I have one and I have two friends with them that I ordered for them.

Great shooting rifles and use the same mags as the SR-25. Price is between $1200-$1500 on average. A huge savings.

I have a friend of mine using the one I own in a police sniper school this week in fact.

Guest Knightsr25
An Armalite AR-10 is just as good and a few thousand $$$$ cheaper.

Ive had both ,an AR10 isnt even in the same league . Ever notice that the U.S. military doesnt use ar-10's ? You cant compare an upper level BMW to a lower level Chevy . I also have have owned [or still do] , HK91 , FAL , G3 , M14 , M1A , PSG1 ,DPMS . While I have really been impressed by some of these weapons , the only comparable one was the PSG1 .

Ive had both ,an AR10 isnt even in the same league . Ever notice that the U.S. military doesnt use ar-10's ? You cant compare an upper level BMW to a lower level Chevy . I also have have owned [or still do] , HK91 , FAL , G3 , M14 , M1A , PSG1 ,DPMS . While I have really been impressed by some of these weapons , the only comparable one was the PSG1 .

The SR-25 is not worth the extra coinage. Just because the military uses it, should not be a quantifying factor. We use lots of stuff that is :panic: because they are the lowest bidder. GPS stuff comes to mind just as an example.

I have shot the SR-25 and it just really didn't impress me anymore than my TAC-20. Not that it wasn't a nice stick, just couldn't see where you were getting the bang for your buck.

I absolutely agree with you on the PSG-1. Heck for $10K or more you should get what you pay for. The only one I have shot was as perfect a gun as you could find, but still I would only buy it if I had won a lottery.

I have owned or still own every one of the other weapons you listed also. Some were great, some were so-so (ergonomics, accuracy, etc.). My two go to long guns are my DPMS TAC-20 and the SA M1A. They serve very well and both are 1MOA or less usually with the right ammo.

Love the Knight... but "if the driver cant drive he dont need a racecar"!!!!

Any of those mentioned so far would be a great gun for someone without real sniper training.

And what quantifies "real sniper training"? There are some people, probably here on the site, that have been to some schools on their own dime that could shoot better than most. Military sniper schools are not the end all and be all. Police sniper schools IMO are much better for teaching accuracy and close-in observation.

The rifle is obviously just a tool. If the driver sucks, he doesn't need to be behind the wheel no matter what he is driving.

Several of those guns are used commonly as sniper rifles, both military and civilian applications.

Just because the latest and greatest leg humping tool is out there, doesn't mean that it's the bees knees. Heck the standard to go by is the Remington 700 PSS/M-24 system and it is under $2K with most bells and whistles you can get for it.

I am quite happy to take my M1A or my TAC-20 with me if I have to take it out of the trunk. Hopefully it can stay there and only come out for range days.

Just because the latest and greatest leg humping tool is out there, doesn't mean that it's the bees knees. Heck the standard to go by is the Remington 700 PSS/M-24 system and it is under $2K with most bells and whistles you can get for it.

Agreed...There is just something satisfying about having "lesser" equipment and the ability to outperform others with better equipment and "lesser" skill.

I have actually experienced this before and it is very satisfying. Nothing quite like passing a palindrome of Lightspeeds on a $400 Nashbar.

Agreed...There is just something satisfying about having "lesser" equipment and the ability to outperform others with better equipment and "lesser" skill.

I have actually experienced this before and it is very satisfying. Nothing quite like passing a palindrome of Lightspeeds on a $400 Nashbar.

When I was autocrossing, I ran in FS and ESP. I ran the same car in both and had practically no mods in a car that was not the best available for that class. I was just about every race due to skill. It was awesome. However, as a shooter, I haven't quite gotten good enough to beat anyone at anything. haha

And what quantifies "real sniper training"? There are some people, probably here on the site, that have been to some schools on their own dime that could shoot better than most. Military sniper schools are not the end all and be all. Police sniper schools IMO are much better for teaching accuracy and close-in observation.

The rifle is obviously just a tool. If the driver sucks, he doesn't need to be behind the wheel no matter what he is driving.

Several of those guns are used commonly as sniper rifles, both military and civilian applications.

I am quite happy to take my M1A or my TAC-20 with me if I have to take it out of the trunk. Hopefully it can stay there and only come out for range days.

I totally agree!!

for those of you who think you need the best and the brightest gear to perform, I would direct you to this event in order to dissuade you from handicapping yourself.

http://www.bobrohrer.com/sea_stories/end_of_an_era.pdf

This is the story of George Farr and his astounding actions at the 1921 camp perry competition.

agree with you 100%... I have been to some of those schools too. But they cant teach some things. Its like a football player, he either has speed and vision or he dont... ya cant teach it. My point is the same one you made, a shooter can shoot... but not everyone is a shooter.

My deal is I see people daily that want the biggest and baddest "sniper" rifle but dont have a clue how to use it. Now I dont mind one bit ordering and setting it up for them... its all about the $$$$. But honestly Bubba the real deer hunter with his Remington 30-06 scares the hell out of me more then Mr. "Wanna Be" with his Accuracy International and Mark 4.

;)

Guest Knightsr25
The SR-25 is not worth the extra coinage. Just because the military uses it, should not be a quantifying factor. We use lots of stuff that is ;) because they are the lowest bidder. GPS stuff comes to mind just as an example.

I absolutely agree with you on the PSG-1. Heck for $10K or more you should get what you pay for. The only one I have shot was as perfect a gun as you could find, but still I would only buy it if I had won a lottery.

I have owned or still own every one of the other weapons you listed also. Some were great, some were so-so (ergonomics, accuracy, etc.). My two go to long guns are my DPMS TAC-20 and the SA M1A. They serve very well and both are 1MOA or less usually with the right ammo.

You could take into consideration that the ar-10 was incapable of passing the military reliability testing , if you consider that a quantifying factor.

Most of our weapons appropriations are not decided by low bidder , other factors come into play . I cant understand your reasoning , when you claim my PSGI is worthwhile due to its cost , yet the SR-25 is not due to its cost . It all boils down to personal preference , some are quite satisfied with their Kia , some of us want more.

You could take into consideration that the ar-10 was incapable of passing the military reliability testing , if you consider that a quantifying factor.

Most of our weapons appropriations are not decided by low bidder , other factors come into play . I cant understand your reasoning , when you claim my PSGI is worthwhile due to its cost , yet the SR-25 is not due to its cost . It all boils down to personal preference , some are quite satisfied with their Kia , some of us want more.

Since I don't see a military or LE icon under your name, I am guessing that you have no practical experience except what you read in online or in magazines that made you go out and by your SR-25 that you are all ate up with.

Fine. That's your decision. I would only personally want the PSG-1 if I won the lottery or whatnot just because I think it is a cool gun. My full-time job is active duty military and have served for about 21 years so I think I know a little bit more about military appropriations and testings than you do.

The SR-25 did get the nod for the new SASS, but how many other weapon systems were tested? I personally do not know since I wasn't following the testing, nor do I really care.

It is a good system, but just because it won, doesn't make it the best. It met the minimum requirements and tested the best during the evaluation. That doesn't make it the absolute best. It just meant it passed a test.

For my purposes, the guns I own work for me with the reliability and accuracy that I need. If you want to sing the praises of your rifle good for you. Agree to disagree. But there is no reason to disparage the other rifles just because you own one.

Like was said, it is the driver, not the car.

Guest Knightsr25
Since I don't see a military or LE icon under your name, I am guessing that you have no practical experience except what you read in online or in magazines that made you go out and by your SR-25 that you are all ate up with.

Fine. That's your decision. I would only personally want the PSG-1 if I won the lottery or whatnot just because I think it is a cool gun. My full-time job is active duty military and have served for about 21 years so I think I know a little bit more about military appropriations and testings than you do.

The SR-25 did get the nod for the new SASS, but how many other weapon systems were tested? I personally do not know since I wasn't following the testing, nor do I really care.

It is a good system, but just because it won, doesn't make it the best. It met the minimum requirements and tested the best during the evaluation. That doesn't make it the absolute best. It just meant it passed a test.

For my purposes, the guns I own work for me with the reliability and accuracy that I need. If you want to sing the praises of your rifle good for you. Agree to disagree. But there is no reason to disparage the other rifles just because you own one.

Like was said, it is the driver, not the car.

You sound as if you want this discussion to be personal, while you havent the slightest idea of my qualifications . Let me assure you that I own more than one and still own most of the ones on my prevous list [ including some selectfire models ]. I havent spoke badly of any other rifles , however my hands on experience has given me an insight that some are lacking . I am by no means (ate up with it) however I do have practicle experience . It seems you are the one who is intent on tooting his own horn ,not I .

the Beretta was picked back in 1984 for the standard sidearm... personally i think they should have picked the Sig 226...

That said I have met Mr. Knight... toured the plant... and i have shot plenty of rounds thru a few of the M110's... I love it! Lil different animal then the SR25. But your regular ordinary Joe would never be able to get the most out of the gun and really woulnt know anymore then just that... "its cool". Maybe one day i'll be blessed with enough extra cash to own one... until then ill have to stick to my M1A.

Tomato... tomatoe

Guest Knightsr25
the Beretta was picked back in 1984 for the standard sidearm... personally i think they should have picked the Sig 226...

That said I have met Mr. Knight... toured the plant... and i have shot plenty of rounds thru a few of the M110's... I love it! Lil different animal then the SR25. But your regular ordinary Joe would never be able to get the most out of the gun and really woulnt know anymore then just that... "its cool". Maybe one day i'll be blessed with enough extra cash to own one... until then ill have to stick to my M1A.

Tomato... tomatoe

I think they should have kept the 45 caliber as a sidearm . Your M1a is a fine weapon , I really like them myself .

Guest gcrookston

The Armalite didn't pass the XM-110 testing, not because it failed in reliability (it didn't), not because it didn't meet accuracy requirements (it proved it's self). It failed primarily due to logistics consideration and weight. -- or so it is rumored. The test results have not been published.

SR-25s had been deployed in limited numbers with the SF community as the Mk11Mod0 for several years prior to the XM110 program, and it is thought that armorers were familiar with it and parts supply was already a known factor.

The Armalite Super SASS rifles submitted to the XM110 program were heavier than the Knight rifles, due primarily to the PRS stock and heavier adjustable gas block on the AR-10.

In the Canadian trials for a new sniper rifle in 2008, the Knight's rifle lost and the contract was awarded to Armalite. Although the results of the testing also were not published, it is rumored the Knight's rifles proved less than reliable during extended firing while suppressed.

In the end my read on this whole issued of Armalite vs Knights is on the same plain as Chevy vs Ford. I suspect if Armalite had been awarded the XM110 contract, the Super SASS would be priced more along the lines of the M110, due in part to availability and mostly for bragging rights.

Each is a high quality, sub-MOA rifle that capably fills the roll for which is was intended.