Ruger 10-22...... Magnum?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am actually considering a .22 magnum as my next purchase.

I want something to shoot with my wife when we go to the range.

It was a toss up between a magnum rifle if I can find a good one, and a winchester wildcat .22 bolt, with a heavy barrel.

I didn't even know about that rifle until one of the newer members on the board said something about it.

winchesterwildcat.jpg

for 249 bucks, it looks to be a pretty nice rifle!

Winchester Wildcat 22 Lr Target/Varmint Hvy Barrel : Bolt Action at GunBroker.com

I will be doing more research though.

Edited by towerclimber37
got the rifle name wrong
I knew they made them and discontinued them. I would love to have one.

If you have one of these guns - HOLD ON TO IT!

Don't modify it or bubba it up like a 22lr. They will appreciate in value over time. They are already going over the $500 mark in the Ruger collecting world.

Ruger discontinued that gun for a reason. It is the only 10/22 to be made with a steel receiver. There were sporatic reports of the newer high velocity ammunition cracking the receiver so Ruger decided to discontinue the entire line rather than recitify the problem

If you send that gun to Ruger they will keep it and give you a voucher for another Ruger rifle.

How much of a voucher?:poop:

There have been some reports of the MSRP for what the gun sold for in the calendar year it was made.

There have been others where I have heard that they will give you your pick of any caliber M-77 one would like.

Can't confirm either...I run a forum of collectors - none of them have the balls to turn theirs in. Similar happened 15 years ago on the .22 magnum convertable bearcats and now they are worth 5 figures.

There have been some reports of the MSRP for what the gun sold for in the calendar year it was made.

There have been others where I have heard that they will give you your pick of any caliber M-77 one would like.

Can't confirm either...I run a forum of collectors - none of them have the balls to turn theirs in. Similar happened 15 years ago on the .22 magnum convertable bearcats and now they are worth 5 figures.

If you can find it, I'd like more info on this offer. I'd love to trade mine for one of several variations of model 77s.

explain the reasoning behind a .22 mag rifle for punching paper? What will it do that a .22LR won't?

Seems like a lot of extra dough for ammo, I dunno. Must be missing something.

You've got me. I bought it because it was cheap and interesting. I doubt I'll fire it.

valid reason. I am not knocking anyone for wanting one, heck I have a few guns that I look at and ask myself WTF. Just seams like a lot of expense for ammo.

I'm like Greg. I have a couple of great .22's, so a magnum wouldn't be my cheap shooter. Still cool, and may come in handy for certain critters.

If you can find it, I'd like more info on this offer. I'd love to trade mine for one of several variations of model 77s.

Why would you do that if you could sell the gun to a collector who will give you more than what a Model 77 costs?

Edit - I have seen them sell for $600 used on my forum. They are NOT going to go down in value either.

Edit again - there is one selling there now for $650 --->Here

Edited by I_Like_Pie
If you have a new 77 in 375 or 458, I'll sure trade with ya.

I am sure that Ruger's line of M77 Magnum rifles that hover around $1800 are considered a totally different ball park than any 10/22 magnum you could cough up...despite the rarity.

explain the reasoning behind a .22 mag rifle for punching paper? What will it do that a .22LR won't?

Seems like a lot of extra dough for ammo, I dunno. Must be missing something.

I bought mine as a critter gun with some collector value. I don't target shoot with it. It packs a much greater penetration than .22lr and will suffice for small and large animals.

-Mike

It packs a much greater penetration than .22lr and will suffice for small and large animals.

There are some now that actually pack more of a whollop than the majority of factory .38 special loads. 22 magnum is a very, very underrated cartridge.