Remington model770

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest smileyguy
I ain't heard nothin' good about 'em.

Neither have I, but I try to reserve judgement until I have actually tried something.

I was heavily researching these a few months ago and it was hard to find any positive reviews. That may be simply because they aren't popular sellers yet, but it was hard to ignore the lack of shiny, happy people writing glowing reviews. Fortunately, my patience paid off and Academy ran a sale on 700 ADL's for under $300. Thusly, the search ended. :popcorn: The main complaints I recall were:

1. Ugly looks

2. Too much plastic (cheap feeling)

3. Gritty action (apparently NOTHING like the smooth 700 action)

4. Lack of features even at the small price point

5. Can't change the barrel.

I have some experience with one in the 300 Win Mag even though I don't own one. I have no problem with the looks or the feel of them personally, and as far as shooting it has an excellent feel to it when you fire it. My issues are only with the action. The action isn't near as smooth as a 700, and for some reason I'm not too fond of the way the bolt release is because in operating the bolt on a couple of occasions I've had the bolt slide all the way out. Also with this rifle I noticed a few fairly deep indentions in the neck of the brass right behind the bullet after loading a round and then unloading it. Basically, they feel excellent to shoot when you fire a round, and are accurate as well. However, you would have to be the type that takes extra care to make sure the action is operated properly with each round you load, so I have to question whether I would trust it or not if a quick follow up shot was needed.

Like someone mentioned, if you shop around these days you can catch 700's at close to the same price range, and it would definately be your better option.

Just my .02

Guest 10mm4me

They are exactly what they are meant to be. Cheap, hunting rifles meant to fill the niche' of the casual hunter who will pull this thing out 3 or 4 times a year fire it maybe 5 times and put it away till next season. They are not match rifles, they have gritty, sloppy actions because no one at Remington expects anybody to use these for anything except what I said above so why put the money into building them real well. If you need a cheap rifle that won't be shot alot and you want to knock it around and not care about messin it up, these are probably alright.

Thanks for the feed back!

I was thinking about adding to my 300 win mag group which consists of one BLR at this time.

I guess if I see a 700 at my Pushers location I will have to succumb to the addiction!

Or maybe one day break down and order a BLR in 300 Win Mag!

It is soooo depressing for a one of a kind and I would not want my BLR to feel left out! I understand Psychotherapy for long guns can get pricey! :up: