Leather Lined Kydex Holster

I was reviewing holster options and found these. I think it's a great idea due to the fact that the kydex itself seems to wear through the finish rather quickly at the "contact" points. If these had a leather back like the supertuck / kholster design, they would be perfect IMO. The reason I like this over a true leather holster is the kydex holds it's shape under the pressure from my belt making re-holstering a one handed job.

rlcompanyusa_2107_6178892

"Silent Thunder" IWB's - <b>$85</b>

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pjblurton

I made a few Kydex holsters last summer, just tinkering around. I did something very similar to this because I used chicago screws to attach the clip and didn't want the metal back to touch any part of the weapon. (One thing I did differently was dyed the leather black, cause I'm wierd like that.)

It worked very well and made for a smooth, secure and quiet draw / re-holster...

There are some threads on these and IIRC the consensus was it was unnecessary for most applications. Plus the benefits of Kydex is that it is cleaner easier to maintain, only wears at the contact points, and doesn't hold moisture. When you add the leather it diminishes all the benefits of Kydex. On the other hand it magnifies the negatives of leather. I personally would get either one or the other but not a hybrid. The only benefit may be the lack of noise of a pure kydex. Another problem is that the leather interior will actually wear a lot more becasue it is in constant contact with all points of the firearm as it rides as well as when it draws.

I could see a use for it, but it would be a very small niche. The only "hybrids" I care for are the Comp-Tac and the Hoffner's hybrid Warrior holsters. The Hoffner's are very nice. HoffnersHybrid Warrior|HWAR

Plus the benefits of Kydex is that it is cleaner easier to maintain, only wears at the contact points, Another problem is that the leather interior will actually wear a lot more becasue it is in constant contact with all points of the firearm as it rides as well as when it draws.

The only thing I don't like is what you said. When the kydex wears at those points, it wears THROUGH the finish bad. I read somewhere that the leather does wear more evenly, less quickly, and less drastically. But, you make several other valid points about the downside of leather. Just hate to sacrifice the finish, but i guess that's unavoidable.

Carrying a pistol in a well fitted holster does very little to wear the finish, be it Kydex, Nylon, Leather, etc. Where the wear comes from is someone constantly drawing and reholstering.

Putting tires on a truck does little to wear the tread. It's someone constantly driving the truck that causes wear.

Putting shoes on your feet does little to wear the soles. It's someone constantly walking in them that causes wear.

:D I'm missing your point friend.

Guest friesepferd
Putting tires on a truck does little to wear the tread. It's someone constantly driving the truck that causes wear.

Putting shoes on your feet does little to wear the soles. It's someone constantly walking in them that causes wear.

:drama: I'm missing your point friend.

ditto.

what? do you expect us to not practive drawing from out holsters or every remove our guns from the holster?

its an interesting idea. i wouldnt mind dinking around with one to see how it works and especially how it draws. personally, im one that doesnt mind kydex on the gun, but like the leather on my skin. i wanna see the op of what you have there