Reciprocity agreements?

Guest jrhbb

Guest jrhbb

Ok. Last week my wife and I went to Indiana. To get there we passed through TN, KY, OH, and into IN. I used the TN state website to find out reciprocity agreements(Handgun Carry Permit Reciprocity Information . They say that IN does not have the agreement, but do recognize the permit. For clarification reasons I called the Greene County Sherrifs Dept. and asked them about it. They said that I could not carry the gun on me physically, but if I got stopped and had it in the car that there would be nothing said. OK. Just a minute ago I checked in the hand book(conceal carry book) which was the 2009 edition and it said IN had a reciprocity agreement. Now the stories don't match up. OK. I read further and it said to check for updates go to legallyarmed.com (Homeland Security works best with legally armed citizens) and it says the same thing as the book. Which one is right? Am I missing something. Not sure if there are discrepancies in any other states, but this one does for sure. Thanks, Jason

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

...the Greene County Sherrifs Dept. and asked them about it. They said that I could not carry the gun on me physically, but if I got stopped and had it in the car that there would be nothing said....

You talked to an idiot.

There is NO difference between "reciprocity" and "recognition" as far as your carry in other other states is concerned.

- OS

Whoever you talked to didn't know what they were talking about. But it wouldn't be the first time a local (sometimes even state) employee didn't know what they were talking about.

To go bit off topic for a second....I remember some of the people that worked at the SO when I did that may answer the phone...I can just imagine what they may tell someone from out of state on a question like that.

But on the technical side...in this case Reciprocity would mean there is a written agreement between two states to honor each others permits. When permits were first being issued this was common and most times the only way stated did honor each others permits. However in recent years many states have chose to simply recognize (honor) another state's permit without a written agreement. Sort of like how TN now honors all other state's permits regardless.

Below is a map from this thread... http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/firearms-law-faq/13408-reference-material-some-basic-questions.html

tennessee_map.jpg

You can also check handgunlaw.us for who honors whose permits and info on the laws in each state.