Girlfriend found a gun

Il Duce

So my girlfriend and I went to Shooters Depot yesterday, I swear I cant leave there without coming back and getting a new gun, and she found a S&W SW40EV that she likes. Before I purchase this gun for her as it will be her CC I want some reviews from people who have owned, shot, or know people that have had or have one. I want her gun to be flawless and am trying to get her to go with a XD or a Glock, but she really likes this one.

Edited by Il Duce
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not owned one nor have I shot one,

that said, I have heard mixed reviews on the trigger and some other bits... I have also heard that after a bit of a break in period they are just fine.

• Admin Team

The trigger pull is miserable. It gets a little better if you remove some of the stuff they added to settle with glock, but it's still pretty miserable.

Reliability is a toss up. I've seen some perfom well, and other have ftf's every magazine. They do seem real picky about mags - even S&W stamped ones.

I did just have a friend go all the way through a 1000 round defensive pistol course with one. The pistol did okay. It's tough to manipulate it one handed because of the ramped sights.

I wouldn't trust my life to one. But your girlfriend may form a different opinion after shooting one. I'd definitely try to shoot one before you buy it.

The trigger is terrible. How much shooting xp does she have? If she has good trigger control it wont be a problem as the gun itself usually will function flawlessly for the money. However if she is new to shooting its prolly not the best thing in the word for her. For the same money I'd say a Bersa compact or one of the new HD Smiths, thought the Hs is just a bit more, but has a much better trigger.

Guest Boogieman

The trigger is lousy but can be gotten used to. I agree that if she is new to shooting it wouldnt be the best to start out with. If she really likes the style look at the SD or HD(no suire which it is) version Smith has. Its just a fancier Sigma with a better trigger.

Guest Boogieman

If there is a place neraby that rents you could always go that route. If she feels that trigger she may just put it down and never look back,lol. It took me near 250 rounds and several changes in grip/stance to get used to the trigger on mine. I eventually sold it to fund a compact but it was very reliable and had decent accurcy once I got the trigger down.

That's kind of a big pistol for concealed carry. I hope she's not planning on keeping it in her purse......I suggest you get her whatever gun she wants. You can give her advice but you must let her make the final choice. The S&W Sigma 40 gets mixed reviews. I gave mine away.

I have heard that carrying a gun in your purse is a bad way to carry. I don't have any personal experience with that though. My favorite Conceal Carry gun is my Smith and Wesson Chief's Special with a 3" barrel. It's old school but tried and true.

Edited by Will Carry

Not to mention that .40 is a bad caliber to start shooting on for the most part. Recoil is rather bad given the size, and much, much more prone to developing bad shooting habits (IE, anticipation) starting with it vs alot of other cals.

Guest TargetShooter84
Not to mention that .40 is a bad caliber to start shooting on for the most part. Recoil is rather bad given the size, and much, much more prone to developing bad shooting habits (IE, anticipation) starting with it vs alot of other cals.

Agreed. I think 9mm is a better choice to start out with. If I had started with a .357 magnum, I don't think I'd get used to it that quick starting out...but I have shot .22 and 9mm for a long time so I got used to those so that .357 wasn't too bad.

Guest 10mm4me

She will hate it when she shoots it. Get her a Glock 27/26 or a good 3" revolver w/an action/trigger job for carry. S&W 60, Ruger SP101, any of the old Colts if u can find 'em the extra $100-$200 u spend will be well worth it.

I’m all about Smith & Wesson but every large company has had a black eye at some time or other. With S&W it’s the Sigma. It’s a POS with a terrible trigger that was targeted at the bottom feeder market.

she has shot every caliber basically and loves the .40

Has she taken a look at the .40 M&P? Its better quality than either the Glock or the XD.

If she is truly comfortable with the cailber and she already has shooting experience I see no reason why she couldnt get it and be happy. Though I would advise you at least rent one and shoot it first before dropping the change to buy one. As long as she tries it and likes it, thats all that really matters. Just dont fall into the catagory that most men do and buy what you *think* she wants, instead of her actually trying it out first and hating it. Not saying you are, just I see it on a daily basis.

So my girlfriend and I went to Shooters Depot yesterday, I swear I cant leave there without coming back and getting a new gun, and she found a S&W SW40EV that she likes. Before I purchase this gun for her as it will be her CC I want some reviews from people who have owned, shot, or know people that have had or have one. I want her gun to be flawless and am trying to get her to go with a XD or a Glock, but she really likes this one.

If that's what she want's, then get it.

If she want's a target gun that has a perfect trigger, then get a 1911.

A trigger isn't the most important thing in a gun for some people.

Personally, I don't see why a trigger matters at all for a gun being used as a SD weapon.

I'm also set on having a bi-tone (black with a silver slide) and since GGP2JZ is buying I'm open to suggestions on types. I do not like the guns with a bad recoil and want it to be .40.

-Amanda

Hi Amanda. Since he's buying, get a Sig and be done with it :D

Guest HvyMtl

"shes not experienced but shes not new either. i may have to push the XD40 sub on her lol"

Um. I assume you want to keep your girlfriend... Do NOT "push" any firearm, it wont work. You will get an irked girlfriend at the least...

Amanda, my suggestion is: You have picked .40 - a caliber known for snappy recoil. However, you seem to like the caliber. Ok. Look at what firearm fits your hand the best. Is it comfortable? Does it feel good? Then, try the trigger. Does it pull without too much force on the first shot? When it is on the second pull is it nice and light? Aim? Do you naturally aim it and it hit where you want? Is it concealable on your person? Is it comfortable concealed on you?

Read the corneredcat.com and other sites about conceal carry.

ENJOY the experience of finding your firearm. Educate yourself, and you will find the one you want and will use. If it is uncomfortable, hard to aim, trigger pull is off, and hard to conceal, you wont use it...