PT1911 re-finish in E TN?

Guys,

I'm not real happy with the finish on my Taurus PT1911. I have been considering one of the hi-tech ceramic finishes like cerakote. Does anyone have thoughts or recommendations on produce or vendor? I should mention that I'm very price sensitive, so I'd prefer less expensive alternatives.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear these folks do good work.

CCR-REFINISHING

Yes they do fantastic work

PREDATOR Custom Shop

3550 Papermill Drive

Knoxville, TN 37909

Phone: (865) 521 - 0625

Fax: (865) 521 - 0624

sales@predatorcustomshop.com

While they do good work their additude leaves a lot to be desired. I was just in there on Thursday asking about getting a Beretta refinished, they acted like I was not supposed to be in their shop and they had no time for me. No thanks, I'll get CCR to do it or Austin's firearms in Oakridge to do it.

While they do good work their additude leaves a lot to be desired. I was just in there on Thursday asking about getting a Beretta refinished, they acted like I was not supposed to be in their shop and they had no time for me. No thanks, I'll get CCR to do it or Austin's firearms in Oakridge to do it.

I was going to mention Autin's, I have seen before and after of their work and it's nice.

Where they busy?

If not it must have been Mike you spoke to. He comes across as being rude or upset with customers, not really sure why he is that way but maybe it is just the way he is. Unfortunately I have heard this from a few people who have interacted with Mike and all were not happy about it, like you. Honestly, I think the place would have a lot more customers if Mike didn't try to help customers. It might just be his personality but with that being said know how you are and try to minimize it, especially when dealing with the people who pay the bills.

Bob is a great guy who definintely knows what he is doing although he doesn't do any of the coating. Jim is the one who does most of the coating and he does a phenominal job.

I almost swore the place off as well over how Mike acted towards me as well as most people. Fortunately a few other people in the shop are decent enough for me to stay a customer. The best thing I did was to only talk business with Bob.

Dolomite

It's funny you guys bring this up. I've had three instances this week where I was pointed towards Predator. I've had an equal number of people tell me to avoid them during the same period. Apparently, all were greeted by a rude individual that made them feel very comfortable about entering his lair. Needless to say, I don't care about quality of work if service is bad.

That said, I'll plan to checkout Austins, CCA and Predator.

Call Predator and ask for Jim to talk about coatings. He is the one who does 90% of the coating and is a great guy to talk to. If he isn't available then call back. He can also talk to you about builds, 1911's, bolt gun and AR's.

If Jim can't answer your questions he will likely have you talk to Bob. You might have to call back because Bob is ALWAYS busy on the lathes and can't easily walk away. He can work magic on most things that come into their shop. He has done a lot for me over the years and everything has always been great.

It does sound like one person at Predator is causing all the problems because both Jim and Bob are always courteous to the customers when I have been there.

Dolomite

CCR is having a Summer Sale right now.

Going to have them do my PT 1911, if I ever get it back from Taurus. They quoted me a very good price.

Personally, I see no need for any other finish on a handgun other than Parkerizing or E-Nickel. If its Aluminum or Stainless then maybe the boutique finishes may be in order.

Now I am interested in DSArms nitriding finish they are doing on thier AR barrels. that stuff is supposed to be tough as nails.