FN Five Seven

Il Duce

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

Great personal defense pistol. Very accurate w/ little recoil. Ammo isn't cheap, but if you got one it'd give you a good excuse to get a PS90.

I found the ammo at Cabelas for about 40 cents a round about half what others want. I got the PS90 and then had to have the 5.7 pistol. I have not shot them yet but have heard good thing about accuracy. I am looking to use these to replace a 9 pistol and carbine around the house and farm. For longer range I have the SASS!

I needed something with a range up to about 150 yards in a small easy to carry configuration. The PS90 fell into the specs! Of course a 50 round magazine was a plus.

Guest drv2fst

It's a very accurate gun. It's very lightweight. It packs 20+1 rounds. It has about 30% less recoil than a 9mm.

I am not qualified to weigh in on ballistic issues. Certainly there would be some serious consideration if it was primarily for self defense. But if it's for fun ...

I sold mine to buy another 9mm and 45. It was a fun gun but with expensive ammo.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TwoLaneBlackTop

Pros

• Low recoil
  • Flat trajectory
  • High capacity
  • Accurate

Cons

• Expensive (overpriced for what you get, and spare magazines are high)
  • Ammo is expensive compared to other auto loading pistol cartridges
  • Some consider the 5.7 cartridge to be tricky to reload (arguable)
  • Not as effective in terms of lethality when compared to 9mm, 0.40 S&W, 0.45 ACP. 10mm Auto, 0.357 SIG, etc.....

I stick to my opinion the Five-seveN is more gimmicky than anything. Many claim the pistol is revolutionary and the ballistics are amazing.... However real experts such as Martin L. Fackler, MD say the round is not as effective as plain 115gr FMJ 9mm.....

So, if you like the pistol and think it would make a great range toy then get one and enjoy! However if you want to buy a hand-gun for defense if needed there are many options that would better serve you.

Guest Jamie
However real experts such as Martin L. Fackler, MD say the round is not as effective as plain 115gr FMJ 9mm.....

I wouldn't trust an "expert" like doc Fackler as far as I could throw 'em. Nor much of anybody else that's got money to be earned by sharing their opinion.

J.

Guest drv2fst

While this is very unscientific it was very fun.

I shot coconuts with one using the ss195 ammo. If you hit the coconut at the top where there was no fluid it mad a .22 hole in the front and a .50 hole in the bask. However, if you hit the coconut below the midsection where these was some fluid, it exploded. The 5.7 dumped so much energy into the fluid that the coconut shattered into pieces no larger than a quarter.

So then I moved on to shoot a plastic cooler filled with water. I shot it with a .45 and 9mm and 5.7. The .45 and 9mm made nice sized holes in the front and back of the cooler. Water leaked out. We taped up the leaks and shot it with the 5.7. Again the 5.7 dumped all it's energy into the fluid. The top of the cooler shot straight up about 10 feet into the air.

Again these test are just for fun and not science. But it does appear that the 5.7 transfers it's energy very well to targets that are filled with fluid.

As for the tumbling effect, I tested that by shooting old junk appliances. I shot a refrigerator. The entry hole was .22 in diameter but the exit hole was a slash about .3 in height and 1.5" in length. I repeated this test and got fairly consistent results.

Guest smileyguy

Go for a Tokarev and a PPS 43.

You still get that soft body armor penetration with better terminal ballistics. The guns and ammo are a fraction of the cost.:D

Or, just get whatever you want and enjoy it!