New Remington R1

Took a look at one this morning at my local gunshop. Fit and finish was average for this price point. However the shop was sending this NIB R1 back because the thumb safety was not right. In my estimation it is a poor design and would actually need to be radiused with a file or better yet, replaced with a better designed safety. From what I saw it brought a big "Yawn" and if I were in the mood for a bargain 1911 it would be the Philipino Rock Island or the Brazilian Taurus or the Springfield (Imbel Brazil) MilSpec.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An American made 1911 in the bottom feeder market and the only problem is the safety needs a radius??? Show me one!!

One of the forum dealers said he sold a few to forums members. They should have already been posted, but…..

toetap05.gif

Apparently, graycrait is not fond of the old style traditional thumb safety. Some of us are. He should buy another gun more to his individual liking instead of panning one that harkens back to an era some of us are quite fond of.

Guest Centennial

I gotta agree with Steelharp. The idea of an American made 1911 with a bit of classic styling is very appealing to me. I intend to buy one.

Guest 6.8 AR

Evidently the dealer agrees with graycrait. Thanks for the review. Is that the only one they had? I'd like to see one. Which dealer in town?

I find it somewheat amusing that some would find my first impression of the R1 "off putting" when they don't know me or what I do with handguns. All I am saying is that the gunshop I go to most of the time, which is run by gun nuts, all of which have multiple copies of 1911s, are sending the first R1 that they got in because Remington screwed up the thumbsafety on that particular pistol. However, having done action work on 1911s before I am not impressed by Remington's first effort on the thumb safety. I digress.

I don't think I have ever handled a 1911 made before 1912, I am certain I may have missed something. The first 1911 I actually got to shoot was not before 1973. I have an 84 yr old shooting buddy who has a couple of dozen 1911s, including his grandfather's WWI pistol his Grandfather carried in WWI. I know for a fact that there are people who know more about tuning, fixing or shooting 1911s than I do. Heck I made up a nice shooting .22 bullseye gun for a former member of the AMU who shot 1911s for the Army in the 60's. Again I know for a fact, having read books written by them, that there are tons of guys who know more about 1911s than I do, I don't meet them very often face to face.

Simply put - this particulare R1, NIB, is being sent back to Remington by the shop owner due to a faulty thumbsafety. Could I fix it through a simple redesign with a file and some sandpaper? Yes. But that is not the point.

I hope Remington gets it right. I was sort of hoping for the Holy Grail myself - a well-made US manufactured and assembled Mil Spec 1911. The one I saw "ain't it" at this time. The safety is a small issue to be sure, but it makes me wonder what else might not be quite right. Maybe that is the only flaw and will be corrected in short order with many thousands of happy customers. If that is the case - then "Go Remington R1!" I'll wait to see what happens with that thumb safety.

Guest Todd@CIS
I find it somewheat amusing that some would find my first impression of the R1 "off putting" when they don't know me or what I do with handguns. All I am saying is that the gunshop I go to most of the time, which is run by gun nuts, all of which have multiple copies of 1911s, are sending the first R1 that they got in because Remington screwed up the thumbsafety on that particular pistol. However, having done action work on 1911s before I am not impressed by Remington's first effort on the thumb safety. I digress.

I don't think I have ever handled a 1911 made before 1912, I am certain I may have missed something. The first 1911 I actually got to shoot was not before 1973. I have an 84 yr old shooting buddy who has a couple of dozen 1911s, including his grandfather's WWI pistol his Grandfather carried in WWI. I know for a fact that there are people who know more about tuning, fixing or shooting 1911s than I do. Heck I made up a nice shooting .22 bullseye gun for a former member of the AMU who shot 1911s for the Army in the 60's. Again I know for a fact, having read books written by them, that there are tons of guys who know more about 1911s than I do, I don't meet them very often face to face.

Simply put - this particulare R1, NIB, is being sent back to Remington by the shop owner due to a faulty thumbsafety. Could I fix it through a simple redesign with a file and some sandpaper? Yes. But that is not the point.

I hope Remington gets it right. I was sort of hoping for the Holy Grail myself - a well-made US manufactured and assembled Mil Spec 1911. The one I saw "ain't it" at this time. The safety is a small issue to be sure, but it makes me wonder what else might not be quite right. Maybe that is the only flaw and will be corrected in short order with many thousands of happy customers. If that is the case - then "Go Remington R1!" I'll wait to see what happens with that thumb safety.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Personally, I'll pass. My 1911s have to have a beavertail gripsafety.

Edited by Todd@CIS

Thank God another company started making 1911's, there just isn't enough options out there and I hear there may be a shortage soon...

I hope it doesn't have MIM parts in it, everyone knows you can't hit s**t when guns have those in 'em.

If it costs more than my $8000 Wilber NightBat Kustom I'll consider it... but doubt the sheet of paper showing the 1" group at 300 yards will be nearly as nice as the one that came with mine (it's hand-fit by magical elves who live under the rocky mountains and they use only genuine Ed Brown springs...).

Hope the grips are real pretty too.

Edited by CK1
Pretty grips will match my fancy holster better...
Guest bkelm18
Thanks for your thoughts.

Personally, I'll pass. My 1911s have to have a beavertail gripsafety.

+1

Personally, I can't stand the traditional/regular grip safety on a 1911. It's just not comfortable at all to shoot with.

Thank God another company started making 1911's, there just isn't enough options out there and I hear there may be a shortage soon...

I hope it doesn't have MIM parts in it, everyone knows you can't hit s**t when guns have those in 'em.

If it costs more than my $8000 Wilber NightBat Kustom I'll consider it... but doubt the sheet of paper showing the 1" group at 300 yards will be nearly as nice as the one that came with mine (it's hand-fit by magical elves who live under the rocky mountains and they use only genuine Ed Brown springs...).

Hope the grips are real pretty too.

This. Is. Awesome.