Slide-Glide

Guest HogMan

My 1911 easily made it past the 1000 rd. mark on Sat. I field stripped the gun Sat. night to clean it and while it was pretty dirty the slide- glide was still in the gun. I feel sure the gun would have gone through another 1000. I will now go back to my normal cleaning routine, boresnake after every practice/match etc. field strip and clean once a month or 600 rds. whichever comes first. It is nice to know I can rely on my gun to keep working even without cleaning, not a practice I would recomend,but it does elevate my confidence in this particular 1911. If you want to try the slide-glide it is sold at Brian Enos's web site.

Robin

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest price g
My 1911 easily made it past the 1000 rd. mark on Sat. I field stripped the gun Sat. night to clean it and while it was pretty dirty the slide- glide was still in the gun. I feel sure the gun would have gone through another 1000. I will now go back to my normal cleaning routine, boresnake after every practice/match etc. field strip and clean once a month or 600 rds. whichever comes first. It is nice to know I can rely on my gun to keep working even without cleaning, not a practice I would recomend,but it does elevate my confidence in this particular 1911. If you want to try the slide-glide it is sold at Brian Enos's web site.

Robin

Better keep that antique clean if you want it to work:lol:

If all continues to go well I will clean at the 1000 rd mark. I do not normally treat a gun like this, but I wanted to see how good this lube is. I normally clean my competition pistols every 3-400 rds.

FWIW, Robin

Man Robin you're gonna wear that thing out cleaning it! I clean mine maybe once a year. I don't think my ESP gun has ever been cleaned. That layer of gunk in it protects it from wear.... yeah that's why I do it. Or maybe I am just lazy. Jason

Guest flesheatingvirus

I had Slide Glide on my P226 when I got it back from Grayguns after some custom work. It shot great, and then I took it apart and cleaned it off because I didn't know what it was at the time. Apparently, they put that on all of the guns they work on. It was noticeably smoother when it was still on there. I will be picking some up from Top Gun Supply. BTW, I usually clean mine after every range session, usually no more than 50 rounds. I carry it as well, so I want it clean.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BigJ45

My new open division gun seems to require a little more cleaning than my limited guns always have, the slide feels kind of sluggish about every 2 to 3 weeks. But I have averaged 200+ rounds per day since it arrived. I just swab out the top end, lube it and shoot it. If I cleaned it every time I shot it I wouldn't have time to load ammo. Trust me when you shoot the same gun 7 days a week you know when it needs cleaning.

Alot of us competition shooters shoot the same gun ALOT, if I am putting a gun away that may not be used for several weeks or months, then it is properly cleaned. My main 1911 for IDPA is fired at least twice a week, and cleaned when it needs it. My carry guns on the other hand are kept clean. BigJ45 thinks I clean my gun too much every 600-800 or so! What can I say I'm paranoid! At a major match a gun may be fired 400 rds.or more, I need to have faith that my gun will run fine when it gets dirty, besides a wise old shooter once told me if your gun won't work when its dirty then there is something wrong with it.

• 1 month later...

In my experience it works very well though a little sloppy to handle. No negative issues at all on a hard working gun. Just don't put it on a gun that's going to sit for an extended period because eventually it will turn into a sticky gum.

I'd certainly recommend it to someone shooting competition.

Guest Grout
Some of you actual shooters(competition) surprise me with what I would have previously considered poor "maintenance". I have always been told to clean my firearms after everytime I shoot no matter the round count. Anyone else have opinions on this?

You have bought into the hype created by the gun cleaning supply/gun dealer lobby.It is all a plan to sell more cleaning stuff.B) Seriously though back when I competed it would depend on the bullet/powder combo how often I would clean.Lead bullets with Bullseye or 231 I would clean about every 800-1,000 rds. If I used jacketed or a cleaner powder maybe 1500-2,000 rds.I would however keep the gun well lubed at all times.

No negative issues at all on a hard working gun. Just don't put it on a gun that's going to sit for an extended period because eventually it will turn into a sticky gum.

That sounds like a pretty serious negative to me. I guess you could use a sticky note on the gun to remind you to check and see if your lube has become a glue. :pleased: