Diamondback DB380 first impressions.

I just want to say I am not a big fan of mouse guns but I wanted something I could carry in the summer with my shirt tucked in, call me crazy. :(

I went to the gun store to buy a pocket pistol. I went to look at the Ruger LCP, The Kel-Tec 3AT and the NAA Black Widow.

Then the guy presented this Diamondback DB380. I compared all 4 pistols and immediately nixed the Black Widow. I really like the Black Widow but not for self defense.

After handling the three remaining pistols I selected the DB380. It felt better in my hand, it breaks down just like a Glock and it has better sights. The price was a little over $325.

I took it to the range today and ran 60 rounds of American Eagle through it. I had 2 FTFs out of the bunch, which isn't alarming. They suggest a break in period of 200rds or so.

I have shot LCPs, 3ATs and Sig 380s and they all seem to have a lot of "snap" to them. The DB380 did not have this snap. It was very tame for such a tiny pistol. The sights actually worked pretty well, though I shot almost as good just pointing and shooting (at 15').

I really like this pistol and feel like it will serve it's intended purpose as a deep concealment gun and back up weapon. The trigger pull is looooong, but light, that is nature of the beast. It will accept Kel-Tec magazines but they don't eject as easily as the Diamondback mags.

Edited by Will Carry
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 10mm4me

I just don't know about this gun. I don't think I could buy one. I about threw up a couple days ago, when a guy walked into a gun shop and traded a Colt Diamondback for one of these. I almost offered to just walk outside the shop and buy it from him. Who makes these anyways? I think they are a great idea, I've just heard too many horror stories with these. I'm waiting on the S&W bodyguard.

sorry, dont like'em......

Any gun that has 2 ftf's in the first 50-60 rounds isnt one i'd be depending my life on at any point. Any gun that claims it needs a "break in period" shouldnt have left the mfg in the 1st place. If you want a small 380 go with the ruger lcp for the same money... its a name brand with a better reputation or the Sig 238 for a few hundred more. Both are more proven designs and better value.

Knock on wood we havent had any trouble out of them that wasnt user-caused. I've shot them myself, I personally dont care for it due to the slide eating my hand every shot. If it had a just tad longer beavertail I'd prolly have one.

I hope you are wrong Glockmeister. My Colt 1911 had a few FTFs when I first shot it. Now it's dependable enough for carry. My Glock 36 had a few FTFs when I first bought it. Now it is dependable enough for carry. My Springfield XDm 40......same thing. All of these guns had a break in period but now don't fail. On the other hand My XD-45 was dependable out of the box and still is. My Sigma 9mm was never dependable enough for anything but a range gun. You just can not say that because a pistol has 2 FTFs, shooting cheap ammo, out of the box, that it's a bad pistol.

I have shot the Sig 238. I was not impressed. With a pistol that size I see no reason to use a .380 round instead of a 9mm or even a 45ACP. My concealed carry revolvers are ultra-dependable.

The real test for me is when the pistol will fire a couple of hundred rounds with no failures. IF this Diamond back will do that, then it will be in my pocket. If not then it will be another $600 lesson learned. (cost of the pistol + ammo + trouble) I can say one thing for sure this will be my first and last .380.

Edited by Will Carry
Knock on wood we havent had any trouble out of them that wasnt user-caused. I've shot them myself, I personally dont care for it due to the slide eating my hand every shot. If it had a just tad longer beavertail I'd prolly have one.

yep I agree, we also see allot that are "user errors" as well. Mainly limp wristing, but we see that issue with the same people that try and shoot 40's and 45's and some of the mouse guns, not many. They simply dont have the proper training with gripping. This mainly happens on the range during class. Some people, mainly men, will buy a handgun.... think they are a shooter... and complain about the "gun jaming"... then we shoot the gun in front of them and it will run fine! Thats about the only situation that will make their ego drop so they will finally get it and say... "Well it was me, and not the gun"....

I have a friend that just cant shoot a glock... it will jam about every 5-10 rounds... then he will hand it to me and i'll run a 100 thru it lickidy split with no problems. I tell him all the time that he's got a little girls wrist lol. So yea I know where your coming from. :D

Well.. I have shot them all accept the SIG and Kahr. No other pistol to date gave me as much problems as the DB380. Way too many broken parts on multiple guns.. actually a different failure every time. No way I would trust one.

I have had zero issues with every other mouse gun on the market today. I've had most of them.. I replaced the DB380 with the Kahr p380 and haven't had the chance to fire it yet. Probably will in the next day or so.

Guest boatme99

Will, as mentioned before, it's yours, enjoy it! Keep us posted as you cycle it more.

I don't have a problem carrying a .380 occasionally, as dress calls for. My go-to is a Colt Govt. in ss. Never a feed or eject problem.

I'm just kidding guys! I don't mind people giving me honest opinions. I do expect a certain amount of courtesy and I try to be courteous and respectful when I make a posts. Most people on this forum do the same.

I went out yesterday I shot a box of Cor-Bon Powerballs through it. Ca-ching! No failures. I shot it limp wristed, left handed, right handed, rapid fire, every way I could think of. I saved 7 rounds for carry. I still think this pistol shoots better than a Kel-Tec or an LCP.

THEN, I went to every Walmart and Dicks within 25 miles of the house and did not find any .380 ammo.