dear att wireless

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

it just got worse.

table td {border: none;}AT&T Brings Tethering Support to the iPhone, but Ends Unlimited Data Plan BY: Ed Hardy, Brighthand.com Editor

PUBLISHED: 6/2/2010

AT&T is making significant changes to its wireless data plans, adding support for tethering but also eliminating the unlimited data plan.

Tethering at Last

Many iPhone owners should be happy to learn that they will soon be able to use their smartphone as a wireless modem for other devices, such as laptops. This oft-requested feature will be available when iPhone OS 4.0 is released this summer, and will cost $20 on top of any other voice and data plan.

The plan will also be available to anyone who has a device that supports tethering, which is most Android OS, BlackBerry OS, or Windows Mobile smartphones.

The carrier does not specify how much data customers will be able to use when tethering. Laptops typically run through far more data than smartphones do.

There was no mention of whether this plan will enable an iPhone to provide data access for an iPad.

No More 'All You Can Eat'

Many of AT&T's customers will be less pleased at the carrier's other change: its $30 unlimited data plan is being phased out. This is being replaced with a slightly less expensive plan that offers 2 gigabytes (GB) of data a month, which AT&T says is enough for 98% of its customers.

Still, this move is likely to be controversial, as some iPhone users have grown accustomed to AT&T's "all you can eat" plan which allowed them to constantly use services that take up high amounts of bandwidth, such as listening to streaming music.

The 2 GB DataPro plan will cost $25 a month, and AT&T says it is enough to send/receive 10,000 emails (no attachments), plus send/receive 1,500 emails with attachments, plus view 4,000 Web pages, plus post 500 photos to social media sites, plus watch 200 minutes of streaming video.

Any customer who exceeds 2 GB during a billing cycle will automatically receive an additional 1 GB of data for $10.

Those who whose data needs are smaller can choose the DataPlus plan, which provides 200 MB of data a month for $15. According to AT&T, this is enough for enough to send/receive 1,000 emails (no attachments), plus send/receive 150 emails with attachments, plus view 400 Web pages, plus post 50 photos on social media sites, plus watch 20 minutes of streaming video.

If a customer exceeds their 200 MB allotment in a monthly billing cycle, they will receive an additional 200 MB of data for $15.

Both of these plans come with unlimited access to the 20,000 AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots around the U.S.

Coming Next Week

This change will go into affect next Monday, the day the next-generation iPhone is expected to be announced.

Current smartphone users are not required to switch to the new plans, but can choose to do so without a contract extension. However, when they renew their contract -- something that's going to be required when buying a new device like an iPhone with a subsidy -- customers will have to switch to the new plans.

AT&T Brings Tethering Support to the iPhone, but Ends Unlimited Data Plan

Haha! I've had pretty good luck with them, just about everywhere I've gone. That includes all the way to Kalifornia and back and the east coast. Only problem I've had is when they were the first incarnation of ATT and changed to Cingular. Billing issues galore!:rolleyes: Cingular was awful till they went back to ATT Wireless and now it's OK.

I will say, I found out I was in collections for $600 some odd dollars for my supposed old Cingular account from 2004. Keep in mind I have had the same account since 2003! Evidently during the merge there wee some issues with the accounts changing hands. That was really aggravating. They finally cleared it after I explained there is no way I could be in collections for an account that has been active for 6 years since they claimed I canceled!:D

This is fine with me and 90 percent of people. My bill is going to drop by 15 bucks per month. I have been looking at my usage and only twice in the past year have I gone over the 200mb limit that will be offered. Thats great. If I monitor usage more I can make sure that my bill drops from 80 to 65 a month and not really have to change my habits much. I think most people are the same. And if you are using over 2 gig per month, then WOW! I know heavy users that never cross 1 gig. And even at the 2 gig limit, its still 5 dollars cheaper every month.

Sure this will hurt people that like to tether but I'm a geek and have never tethered anything. I just don't need to. And the average consumer won't either. There are some hardcore geeks out there that will be up in arms over this but oh well. The rest of us are going to enjoy that extra 5 or 15 dollars per month.

Guest db99wj

You can add me to the list of no complaints. I started getting dropped calls, in out of service with my old phone (Palm Treo 680) over the last several months, I would be sitting here at my desk, with all 5 bars, then I would lose coverage. Since I got my iphone, not a single time has it happened.

The multi-tasking update in the OS 4.0 that is coming out, which is suppose to be when they release the new generation phone, is great. I will be able to run the GPS and Pandora radio at the same time. This has been my only complaint with the iphone so far.

Problem?

I must be the only person in the world that can't complain about ATT.

My company switched after years on verizon. Before that it was cingular, and they were fine. Half of my calls get dropped, both at home and at work. Doesn't work at all in my office.

When it works, it's OK. But, compared to verizon, they suck.

Guest uofmeet

I am with ATT only because of the Iphone. I was very happy with verizon when i had them. Never had problems. If Iphone ever goes to verizon, i am gone....and i may be gone when the contract is up also. Not sure. But according to what i read, they are not gonna change your data plan unless you change your plan somehow. if you don't change your plan in any way shape or form, you will keep unlimited til you do.

But according to what i read, they are not gonna change your data plan unless you change your plan somehow. if you don't change your plan in any way shape or form, you will keep unlimited til you do.

That's correct. But since it will save me money, I'm going to go in and ask them to change it. Which I'm pretty sure that they will. And if they don't, I'll be getting the new iPhone in September when my renewal date is so I'll be re-upping my contract anyways.

Guest db99wj
you could have been multitasking for two years with a jailbroken iphone

No I couldn't.....I've only had my iphone for 2 weeks:D:p;)

Anyway, I keep reading about the jailbroken stuff, and the biggest complaint seems to be the speed suffers greatly when you do it. Some it does, some it doesn't. My luck that it would be effected.

Guest db99wj
That's correct. But since it will save me money, I'm going to go in and ask them to change it. Which I'm pretty sure that they will. And if they don't, I'll be getting the new iPhone in September when my renewal date is so I'll be re-upping my contract anyways.

I don't have an idea of how much usage I go through, since I have only had a it a couple of weeks. I do use it as my "radio" when in the Jeep, so I can imagine my usage can get up there.

Guest db99wj
you cant upgrade either so that means paying full price for phones

??

From my limited understanding, please correct me if I'm wrong, still learning about this thing, but they are releasing the new operating system 4.0 when they release the new phones, hopefully next week. This update for the current iPhones, will allow you to do some of the new stuff, like tethering and multi-tasking, if you have a 3gs. The older 3g phones will not have all the functions, like multi-tasking.

I hope I'm right????

Or were you talking about the plans itself? I'm on the unlimited for, I guess, 2 years anyway.