AR-15 Noob Needs Help

Im Neero

Thanks to Joe at Hero-Gear, I am the proud owner of a new S&W M&P15. Now what? I am reading up online and there is so much conflicting information that I am not sure where to start. My first question is should I break in the barrel, and if so, how? I'm sure I'll come up with more questions as I go, but right now that's the big one. What do you guys think?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, just shoot it.

The only gun I did a special break-in routine was my Remington 700 VS, that is my accuracy toy. Unless you want and have a sniper-type rifle, I don't see a need for special break-in stuff.

I would give it a good cleaning first, just to remove any huge burrs and the dust-bunnies. :confused:

Guest gcrookston

I think breaking in a barrel is a bit of a chore and over rated. Perhaps back in the day it was necessary to season a barrel, but with today's steel and machining I just take a bore snake and some #9 to the range and give it a run through every 20 rounds or so.

I think I speak for us all when I say "pics, please!"

I've heard similar about breaking in the barrel, but I don't have the personal experience. The S&W is at the top of my list, so I'd love to hear how it works out when you get to the range.

Breaking in an AR-15:

1.) Fondle rifle in store

2.) Wince in sympathy for the painful screams coming from your wallet at price of rifle and ammo.

3.) Wince again at price of gas while filling the tank up for an immediate trip to the range

4.) Shoot 100 rounds, trying to keep your s*** eatin' grin under control.

5.) Go home, get yelled at by spouse/girlfriend/significant other for expensive toy. Clean weapon.

6.) Shoot as needed/desired. Clean after every use.