Need to find .223/5.56

Guest ls2tiger

Guest ls2tiger

Some freinds and myself have a range day coming up and I'm trying to find bulk ammo. We are planning to have over a dozen AR's there and thought it would be better if we bought our ammo for the day in bulk. I've looked at some on cheaper than dirt but wondered if there was some place local to get bulk ammo prices.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ls2tiger
I always order mine. Sometimes midway beats out others with a special of some kind, other than that check these reports for ammo prices/manuf. : gun-deals.com - User-Submitted Gun & Ammunition Deals
Checked that out,doesn't seem to user friendly.I'm going to check out midway.
dansammo.com. Great prices on ammo while they last, you can thank me later... COOP

Those seem like some good deals.

centerfiresystems.com is running Wolf 55g at $200/1K shipped ATM. Can't beat that.

The wolf is steel case and no good for the AR. (or so I'm told)

The wolf is steel case and no good for the AR. (or so I'm told)

Then you have crappy AR's. Seldom do people who actually use it have problems. Those who don't like it for plinking are the ones who realized they paid way to much for fun shooting.:cool:

Guest ls2tiger
Then you have crappy AR's. Seldom do people who actually use it have problems. Those who don't like it for plinking are the ones who realized they paid way to much for fun shooting.:cool:

I agree with you but this ammo isn't all for me. I have 600 rnds of Wolf at the house and havn't had problems with it shooting it wet. I think I have good AR's. I have a M&P15 and a Colt LE6920. At some point I'de like to reload and not have to deal with this.

but wondered if there was some place local to get bulk ammo prices.

Are you or any of your friends military? I thought someone posted there was a place either on or around the base that had good prices. I don’t know if you had to be military or not.

Guest ls2tiger
Are you or any of your friends military? I thought someone posted there was a place either on or around the base that had good prices. I don’t know if you had to be military or not.

I've lived here for 25yrs and I don't lnow of any.

Guest Lester Weevils

I don't know very much, but is it possible that the wally-world Federal value-pack .223 might be loaded a little on the light side?

If that is true, ain't necessarily a bad thing. Just wonderin if that is the case. There's always lots of value-pack at my local wally-world.

As long as its strong enough to cycle the action.

Have wondered about that, because have shot maybe 300 rounds of Fed value-pack in 2 guns, and it cycles and feeds fine, but in both guns the action doesn't reliably lock open on an empty mag, shooting the value-pack. Both guns will always lock open on an empty mag if I manually pull the bolt back far enough, so maybe the value-pack just ain't driving the bolt far enough back?

I need to shoot a good bit of stiffer ammo sometime soon to verify the theory. I recall the bolts locking back fine earlier shooting PMC and Winchester.

I don't know very much, but is it possible that the wally-world Federal value-pack .223 might be loaded a little on the light side?

If that is true, ain't necessarily a bad thing. Just wonderin if that is the case. There's always lots of value-pack at my local wally-world.

Don't have a chrono, but seems to have 'bout same zap as anything else. Just as loud. :rolleyes:

Same general POI at 200 yards as other .223.

Throws brass just as far ... which with my Mini is FAR.

And it IS brass, important to reloaders.

I can't seem to find exactly what round these are on Federal site, and nobody else seems to sell it packaged this way, so must be a Walmart only deal.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Don't have a chrono, but seems to have 'bout same zap as anything else. Just as loud. :D

Same general POI at 200 yards as other .223.

Throws brass just as far ... which with my Mini is FAR.

And it IS brass, important to reloaders.

I can't seem to find exactly what round these are on Federal site, and nobody else seems to sell it packaged this way, so must be a Walmart only deal.

- OS

+1. I haven't had any problems at all with it and have put 500 rounds of it through my AR.

Guest Lester Weevils

Yeah, the value-pak shoots fine as far as I can tell. Except for the bolts not always locking open on empty mag.

Need to shoot some stiff stuff next time to see if the bolts lock open better. I have some Armscor 5.56 that is reputed to be loaded pretty hot (according to online reviews).

Edited by Lester Weevils
spelling
Yeah, the value-pak shoots fine as far as I can tell. Except for the bolts not always locking open on empty mag.

Need to shoot some stiff stuff next time to see if the bolts lock open better. I have some Armscor 5.56 that is reputed to be loaded pretty hot (according to online reviews).

There are a bazillion AR configs out there.

All I can say is the Federal locks back Mini14 bolt on last round every time, using both factory and Tapco mags.

- OS

Guest ls2tiger

Just checked Wally Worlds value packs out. They have 100rnd Federal for 39 and some change. I think that may be my best bet for a local source.