Armalite AR-10s Chambered Now in .243 Win

Guest FroggyOne2

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would be the advantage of a .243 on the 10 platform vs. one on the 15?

I've seen .243s available (DPMS? can't remember) on the AR-15 lower, so I'm curious.

I think that would have been an ar-10 clone. The ar 15 platform cannot handle a .308 base cartridge, which the .243 is.

DPMS makes a .243 Winchester in the LR series.

Same basic weapon as my DPMS Panther .308.

I just don’t think these calibers will take off because of the price of ammo. We can get “junk†and surplus 5.56 or 7.62 for cheap range ammo because besides the military using those calibers; there is a high market for it.

Who would want this weapon in this caliber? Being a semi my .308 Panther recoil isn’t bad. I doubt the .243 would be a lot less.

Pantherâ„¢ LR-243

With the LR-308’s growing popularity with hunters and competitive shooters, DPMS opened the LR Series up into several other popular calibers to increase versatility.

The LR-243 features a 20†black Tefloned stainless steel barrel that provides ample velocity and accuracy for competition or hunting. The A3 style receiver allows for a wide range of optics or iron sights. Available with a wide range of options, it may be one of the most versatile rifles in the LR series

DPMS makes a .243 Winchester in the LR series.

Same basic weapon as my DPMS Panther .308.

I just don’t think these calibers will take off because of the price of ammo. We can get “junk†and surplus 5.56 or 7.62 for cheap range ammo because besides the military using those calibers; there is a high market for it.

Who would want this weapon in this caliber? Being a semi my .308 Panther recoil isn’t bad. I doubt the .243 would be a lot less.

I agree that there's limited market. The .243 kicks less than the .308 because it's shooting lighter bullets. I'm a fan of the .243, but it would be expensive to shoot in an AR platform. That's why I said it's cool, instead of saying I gotta have one. :)

I'm a fan of the .243, but it would be expensive to shoot in an AR platform. That's why I said it's cool, instead of saying I gotta have one. :(

That's because most people use their AR guns as range toys instead of working guns.

For coyotes, deer, pig, bear hunting etc....the .243 is an outstanding caliber. 6mm bullets are very much at the top of the gun world for inherit accuracy. In the southeast or anywhere east of the Mississippi river this chambering would be perfect for those who can't hunt with .223 due to moral or legal reasons.

That's kinda cool ((...the 243...--Leroy insert...). Bet it's a good shooter

Mike and all:________________

A 243 AR10 is a great thing. Less recoil than a 308; and probably better accuracy (...assuming the right barrel...). In the "good ole days" the 243 was considered a very accurate cartridge. Many folks then (...and now...) like the 6mm (... .243 dia bullet...); especially the varmit and benchrest guys. The only downside i can see is the relatively heavy AR10 setup vs the AR15.

Its great to see the goodies keep rolling out!Kind regards,

Leroy

Mike and all:________________

A 243 AR10 is a great thing. Less recoil than a 308; and probably better accuracy (...assuming the right barrel...). In the "good ole days" the 243 was considered a very accurate cartridge. Many folks then (...and now...) like the 6mm (... .243 dia bullet...); especially the varmit and benchrest guys. The only downside i can see is the relatively heavy AR10 setup vs the AR15.

Its great to see the goodies keep rolling out!Kind regards,

Leroy

I have a Browning X Bolt in .243. Like I said, I'm a fan