G22 conversion to G17

Guest yellowsulphur29

Guest yellowsulphur29

Just recently had the opportunity to purchase a new gen3 G22 (RTF2) with night sights for 499 so I could not pass up the deal. Unfortunately, I have never much cared for the .40 and could not hit the broad side of a barn with the stuff, I figured I could learn due to the availability and expense of the ammo. I have shot 400 rds through it so far, and sure enough I am awful at my groupings. I own a kimber 1911 .45 and could lay round on round with it but it is getting too expensive just to punch holes in paper so I was looking for something easier on the wallet. I wonder if the fixed sights could be off or is there a certain way to aim with this glock. I was looking for a G17 when I ran across this G22, and I was reading many reports on barrel conversions between the two. I had a G26 and based my poor groupings on the small size but would like another 9mm. Would it be feasible to convert just the barrel using a KKM or the like, or would owners recommend changing the whole slide. Otherwise, can someone give me so real guidance on getting more accurate with this .40. I know Glocks, are not known for accuracy, but everything I did always had me shooting low and to the left. Thanks.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Glocks are actually quite accurate. Shooting to the left if very common, at least for me. Try the chart....

correction_chart.gif

If you still want to convert to 9mm a barrel and G17 mag or two will do the trick....(regardless of what others might tell you :)). You might even get lucky with the G22 mags, but it's hit or miss.

Lone Wolf Distributors - Product Detail - LWD Barrel M/22 Conversion to 9mm Stock Length - $109.95

It's definately the trigger pull of the Glock. I can shoot accurately with my G22, but occasionally I will have a couple of rounds low and to the left. After shooting alot of rounds through it I can also tell you that the chart is correct in the jerking or slapping the trigger section. I shoot alot, and don't have this issue at all with my other firearms, some of which are kinda simliar like the XD45. Only seem to have this kinda issue with the Glock.

Guest yellowsulphur29

I appreciate the assistance guys and I will certainly print that chart and use it. I noticed that I continuously kept getting false trigger pulls where I thought I had pulled the trigger to where it would break, but unfortunately, it would not fire. I found myself ejecting perfect rounds by racking the slide only to put them back in the mag and firing again. Is it ok to dry fire to get a feel for the trigger with the g22 or should I get some of those snap caps to practice with to protect the firing pin. May help me get a better feel for the point at which the trigger breaks. Worst case I can get a replacement connector to lessen the trigger pull.

Dry firing is fine with a Glock. It is the easiest way to learn the trigger on it as well.

I have a G19 and I find that the trigger is very predictable, once you learn the take-up (safe action) and break.

I have noticed that after ~100 rounds or so, my fingertip gets sore from the safe action trigger though. Other than that, I am completely satisfied with my Glock and find it to be very accurate.

Don't give up on the G22 just yet. Get some trigger time on it and you'll get better. It just takes practice. Buy the 9mm barrel and G17 mags as someone earlier posted. For less than $150 you've got a 9mm to practice with, and the .40 to carry for SD. You'll still need to shoot some .40, but the trigger time with the 9mm will go a long way towards building your confidence in the gun. You can also buy a .357 Sig barrel to drop in and I think you can even use the G22 mags with that round. The G22 is one of the most versatile pistols you can own. You've made a good purchase, just give yourself some time!

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Guest Ae-35

Old trick... older than me any way, try dry-firing about 1/4 inch from a plain white or light-colored wall . You will quickly see what's happening, and can work on fixing it.

I appreciate the assistance guys and I will certainly print that chart and use it. I noticed that I continuously kept getting false trigger pulls where I thought I had pulled the trigger to where it would break, but unfortunately, it would not fire. I found myself ejecting perfect rounds by racking the slide only to put them back in the mag and firing again. Is it ok to dry fire to get a feel for the trigger with the g22 or should I get some of those snap caps to practice with to protect the firing pin. May help me get a better feel for the point at which the trigger breaks. Worst case I can get a replacement connector to lessen the trigger pull.

I know what you mean about the false trigger pulls with it, and this is what seems to cause, or at least where I started to notice, the slapping of the trigger on occasion. I'm not sure on this whether it's the gun having an inconsistant trigger, or if it's still just me getting use to the trigger pull. With lots of practice with it I seem to do it less and less though. Last time I fired mine I only had about 4 rounds out from shooting around 100 rounds through it. I ended up with a G22 from getting a deal that I couldn't pass up though, or I may have gotten something different. The model, as well as caliber, sure has grown on me though, I just need alot more practice with it.

Don't know about G22s. But every G19&G23 I've ever shot shoot low using factory sights. I always put the white dot where it intersects the plane between the top of the "U" on plastic sights. On night sights I put the frontsight even with the plane between the two rear dots. The left is all you though. I'm no expert( at anything) but IMO staging a Glock trigger is bad practice. Immediately stop shooting any other weapons and devote yourself to dryfiring your Glock. A few thousand trigger pulls should help!