Fair trades in gun stores?

Can anyone offer any suggestions on gun stores in Tn that offer fair trades on guns? I know that I can't get close to retail, but I am tired of the attempted rape that occurs at a local store. Thanks.

Links2k

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are better off selling privately. I certainly have not been to every gun store in the state but I can tell you they are all businesses and they are not in the business of paying top dollar for used goods. No different than cars or anything else where "trade-in" is an option.

Guest Bluemax
You are better off selling privately. I certainly have not been to every gun store in the state but I can tell you they are all businesses and they are not in the business of paying top dollar for used goods. No different than cars or anything else where "trade-in" is an option.

+ 1K Couldn't have said it better myself !!!

Guest jackdm3

You could say it's the greed of business, but a lot of your money they're keeping is going to their overhead of having brick and mortar. Go private.

Guest m14man

try abernathy's in union city they will look it up in the book and check gunbroker and give you what there selling for on gunbroker usually.awesome selection in the store to.

• 1 year later...

across the state, Fugates in Calhoun, TN pulls out the "blue book of guns" and rates the gun according to the book, then gives you $30 under the appraised value (pending you have box and all stuff it came with) You'd do better off doing a personal sale, but when I needed quick cash, they were there to bail me out.

Why not do a comparison, see what you can get at a dealer and then post it here for what you think it's worth.

Don't fool yourself into thinking the dealer is going lose money on a deal.

You will also do better with a cash sale, whether it be a gun or a vehicle.

Edited by kieefer
What not do a comparison, see what you can get at a dealer and then post it here for what you think it's worth.

Don't fool yourself into thinking the dealer is going lose money on a deal.

You will also do better with a cash sale, whether it be a gun or a vehicle.

Yes, sell it yourself. You'll be much happier with what you get than on a trade-in, unless you have some fantastic piece that commands a sky-high price. A normal dealer is going to give absolutely as little as possible to maximize his profits.

I have traded in, sold & consigned several guns to the Reloaders Bench. While it must be understood (as has been stated) that they HAVE to make a living, they were always fair. I NEVER felt taken in the slightest.

Having said that, I must say, the guy that took such good care of me is no longer there and I haven't had any trade in dealings with them since. I don't see why they should be any different. They're usually pretty easy to deal with.

Guest ryan02

Guns & Leather Greenbrier has always gave me better than expected on trades. Dennis the owner is usually the most generous, especially if it is a gun you bought from them.

Having been an FFL, I can tell you that a 'fair trade' is the one both parties agree to. An 'unfair trade' never occurs as one of the parties walks away. The thing I found out was that most people didn't like the uncertainty of not knowing how much trade value their gun would bring. That is where the Blue Book has been a great help. I would offer 80% of the Blue Book value as the trade value. Of course, then we got to argue about whether the gun was in 50% or Like New condition!

A cash sale is a totally different proposition. When you want to sell for cash, you are asking the dealer to 'spend money'. At that point, with most small dealers the state of the cash drawer comes into play. The dealer has to ask himself whether he has made enough to pay the rent, employees, his house payment, bills, any note on his inventory, etc. Then he has to ask whether he can actually sell the gun you are offering. The internet has been great, as there are specialty boards where you can quickly figure out a good price to sell almost anything. When I had my FFL, you had to research past issues of Shotgun News to find a good price. Then put the gun in your monthly ad, and hope someone wanted it. That could take up to six months, during which time the gun sat in inventory collecting dust and tying up your money.

So why don't YOU tell us what you consider to be a 'fair trade'?