Kel Tec Range Report

Picked up a Kel Tec PF-9 recently for use as my carry piece and I got the opportunity to shoot it today.

It has a little kick to it, and after 40 or 50 rounds the palm of my hand was tingling and a little numb. Fired Walmart Winchester 115 Grain FMJ and Walmart Winchester 147 Grain hollow points both for a total of probably 100 rounds. This is the first gun I've had with an internal hammer, so the trigger pull feels long to me, but its steady and consistent.

Overall I think its a nice little pocket gun. Something I can stick in the back of my jeans or the pocket of my work pants and not worry about damaging the finish.

Its almost identical in size and weight to my wife's Walther P22. All the edges and sites are rounded smooth for pocket carry. No sharp edges to stick or wear on your thigh or hip. The weight is comfortable and the little gun is sturdy feeling in your hand. It comes with a single magazine and an extension that you can add to the mag and I found that helpful.

Disassembly is easy. RE-assembly is a little tricky. After cleaning, getting it back together with the assembly pin in the right place on the barrel is a challenge.

I think I'll like it. Just wanted to share.

J:woohoo:

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good report. Yeah, after a box of fifty you're pretty much done, I did find some solace in my Hogue grip cover. It takes the sting out very well. You'll get use to breakdown, it's a feel kinda thing to get that pin back in on re-assembly.

Guest MERRILL

I had a PF9 and sold it to someone on this forum. I did not like it. The recoil didn't bother me and the gun was reasonably accurate, but I could not get used to that long hard trigger pull.

I've had one of these for a while as an option to go to when I can't get away concealing my full-size EDC, and while I wouldn't win any bullseye trophies with it, mine has been reliable and works well when it's called upon.

The long trigger doesn't bother me as IMO the whole gun is a compromise, but with the belt clip I can hide it wearing just a bathing suit if I had to and I like that it is in 9mm and doesn't have you driving all over town looking for expensive .380... yeah hurts after a bit of rounds, but being a 9mm I bet I still shoot it more than many guys do with their .380's as finding more ammo isn't a problem and since I mostly shoot 9's anyway I can just pull it out and put in some practice whenever I feel like it.

There's nothing really better in the same size that I know of, I had a PPS that was a better shooting gun, but it was also pretty unreliable and you could get 3 PF-9's for the price of one of those.

Guest FiddleDog

is there any way you could post a picture of the front of the magazine. I have one where ball ammunition hangs on the front lip of the magazine. I'd like to see if i just got an older model.

i snagged a PF9 a while back on a too good to pass up deal. I liked it alot and would recomend it. For the size i thought it has pretty darn accurate.

I really had no need for it other than to fill a gap between a g27 and P3AT so i traded it to a 17 hmr rifle.

Guest jackdm3

+abunch on the bolt-on clips. I have one bolted on each side and that really lends itself to versatility. It's just that, in .40, it can be painful to shoot and it's quite finicky in what will go through it. Also, I always thought I'd break the plastic trigger with that hard pull.