Glock getting sold?

Guest MoonMan

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did get an email (survey) from DPMS recently asking about what i would suggest if they were to start making a pistol. Had a ton of questions mainly geared at why I would buy a pistol from them over some other company. This is probably old news but I haven't seen it anywhere else yet (although I'm new to this forum). Something to think about though, they obviously are already.

So are they trying to make a 1911 like everyone else is doing? :shake:

BTW, Welcome.

None of these PE firms buy a company to run it as is. It's all about increasing profits. That happens in a lot of different ways, and is almost never good for the consumer. Consolidation in the gun industry is not a good thing... it NEVER is.

Well, it's true that a couple of companies to fall under the Freedom Group/Cerberus umbrella have been highly criticized for quality degradation, at least as far as fit and finish. Like Remington 870 and Marlin lever action rifles.

Then again, that seems to happen in general over time, especially as economy tightens. Ruger 10/22, for example.

- OS

Guest Tygarys

Cerberus is the company that bought Chrysler back from the Germans. They had no idea how to run a car company, and brought in Nardelli (who nearly killed Home Depot, they had to force him out) to fix it. We all know how that ended.

I have also heard that they ordered Chrysler to destroy tons of their historical records, causing a loss of a huge amount of not just Chrysler history, but of US auto history as well.

Edited by Tygarys
Guest Straight Shooter

Are they, or arent they, the company that is closing Marlin Firearms next year?

Also, as far as Glocks reputation. Glock DOES have an EXCELLENT REP among people who have actually fired and/or owned one. But, among video game players and 13 year olds, it doesnt. To hear them talk, they are all little Jeff Coopers and know all about guns n stuff, cause they play the war games you know.The ONLY argument that I give to people who dont like Glocks, is ergonomics. It either fits your hand, or it dont, period. As far as reliability, durability, accuracy, its as good as anything, and better than most of whats out there now. Anyone who says different is merely repeating internet rumor, and has no knowledge of what your talking about. Ive got pics of blown H&K's, 1911's..GAAASP!..S&W's, Rugers, ect. ect. ANY gun can blow if improper ammo is used,or mis-use, or carelessness. Glocks are no more prone to it, even less really, than any other gun out there.

Are they, or arent they, the company that is closing Marlin Firearms next year?

Marlin/HR1871/NEF is not closing.

Moving out of CT to Remington plant in Ilion, NY, which is being expanded to accommodate their lines.

- OS

Guest db99wj
Glock doesn’t have a solid reputation. That’s why you see all the Glock bashing/hatin’ going on. No matter which side of the argument you are on you have to agree that a large percentage of the market thinks either they are not safe or they are junk.

How much money do they make? I have no idea. How would a financial expert rate them? I would guess they had a large market share because the sold guns to Police Departments cheap; which gave them the civilian market. S&W has taken a serious bite out of the LE market with the M&P.

They have a solid reputation on being inexpensive, they have a solid reputation on firing, just about everytime unless it is an ammo related issue, they have a solid reputation of working under extreme conditions, and they have a reputation, while not the actual guns fault, of shooting your ass if you don't treat it properly and put your finger on the bang switch when you are not prepared to destroy whatever is in front of the business end.

The haters come out and say only a few things, they are plastic, they have an unsupported chamber, they don't like hot reloaded lead bullets, they don't fit my hand, they don't have a safety and I shot myself because I put my finger on the trigger and it went off.

Don't get me wrong, I love to get into a debate about them and pick on the :) drinkers, but to say they don't have a solid reputation is far from the truth.

Are their some problems with some, of course, they are built by humans, they are maintained by humans, they aren't perfect, none are.

For the record, I don't own a Glock, nor have I ever, not to say I won't.:D