Legal Carry on Land Between the Lakes.

I have always been told and their rules do state that there is no carry in the LBL NRA. I received the following after getting a reply from their office saying they would honor valid permit/licenses. I ask them if I could post the info on Handgunlaw.us and they ask if they could run it by their legal dept first. This is the reply I got from them.

Gary,

Our LE&I Captain verified that the information below is accurate and we appreciate you posting on the Tennessee Page.

Kathryn Harper

Manager, Communication Services

USDA Land Between The Lakes National Recreation Area

Land Between The Lakes | HOME

Below is the information LE&I provides to the public in regards to possessing firearms at LBL NRA:

1. Possession of firearms is prohibited except during legal firearms hunting seasons by licensed hunters and going to and from the LBL NRA firearms range. Firearms must be cased and unloaded during transport.

2. Firearms possessed during legal hunting seasons by licensed hunters must be cased and unloaded (chamber + magazine) while being transported in a motorized vehicle.

- LBL LE&I also states that the concealed firearms carry permit does not apply to LBL NRA at this time, although the LE officers at LBL will honor the concealed carry permit if there are no other aggravating circumstances. Examples of aggravating circumstances are, but not limited to, violation of the concealed carry permit itself, shooting from a roadway, or shooting outside of the LBL firearms rangeâ€.

Hmmmm...interesting, if not still a tad bit confusing.

It sounds similar to the info someone posted about TN state parks, in that carry is legal by state law now, but that the discharge is not, (not including hunting etc...) unless it was self-defense and that you would have to prove it was self-defense.

So it sounds like LBL is saying the same thing in the end, but still maintaing that permits "technincally" still do not make carry legal.

website only says:

"Possession, transportation or discharge of firearms, air guns, crossbows, bows and arrows or other weapons and explosives, including fireworks, is prohibited except authorized hunting equipment during set hunt dates."

LBL | General Regulations

I thought between federal and state laws, we had finally gotten to carry everywhere. So, US Forest Service is still technically a no no? And TVA?

Anywhere else, like Army Corps of Engineer places?

- OS

- LBL LE&I also states that the concealed firearms carry permit does not apply to LBL NRA at this time, although the LE officers at LBL will honor the concealed carry permit if there are no other aggravating circumstances. Examples of aggravating circumstances are, but not limited to, violation of the concealed carry permit itself, shooting from a roadway, or shooting outside of the LBL firearms rangeâ€.

I talked to a ranger in LBL and he told me the same thing so as long as we do there as we do everywhere else, we are OK. If you start acting a idiot, shooting or drinking all bets are off. I have carried there quite a bit and never had any problems.

website only says:

"Possession, transportation or discharge of firearms, air guns, crossbows, bows and arrows or other weapons and explosives, including fireworks, is prohibited except authorized hunting equipment during set hunt dates."

LBL | General Regulations

I thought between federal and state laws, we had finally gotten to carry everywhere. So, US Forest Service is still technically a no no? And TVA?

Anywhere else, like Army Corps of Engineer places?

- OS

There is not general US Forest Service rule/regulation/law against carry. However local and/or regional heads can issue "special orders" some have used this to prohibit carry in the forrest(s) they control.

From what I've read it appears to me this is to be able to allow them to close roads, prohibit picnics in areas of bear attacks, or other "special" situations.

It would be nice if the authors of the federal bill that allowed carry in DOI areas were to address this "loophole" that some Forest Rangers are using to prohibit carry.

If the LE head of LBL is not going to prohibit carry, wonder why the head ranger just doesn't rescind the special rule?

Guest Overtaker
Hmmmm...interesting, if not still a tad bit confusing.

To me it reads that although carry against the law there, they will not enforce it if you are concealed and not causing problems.

To me it reads that although carry against the law there, they will not enforce it if you are concealed and not causing problems.

Well me too, but the trouble with something being illegal and not enforcing is...they can always decided to enforce it without notice and you don't have much of a leg to stand on.

...and another trouble is, TN doesn't issue a "concealed" carry permit. If you OC you are not violating any term of the permit, but are you violating their rule?

She said they wouldn't enforce it on people with concealed carry permits, so I personally wouldn't try OC.

Well if you have a TN permit, you do not have a concealed carry permit.

I'm not saying that because you have TN permit you can OC anywhere...I know that in TX, AR and few other states there is no OC period.

But this goes back to my point about it not being 100% clear.

This from the OP's website (Handgunlaw.us) on National Forest Lands....

Carry In National Forests/National Wilderness Areas

Some states have laws concerning carrying in a National Forest. You must know the law.

If it is legal for you to carry a firearm concealed in the state the National Forest is in, you can carry your firearm concealed in a National Forest in that state. If it is legal to carry a firearm openly on your hip in the state the National Forest is in, you can legally carry it that way in the National Forest in that state.

Regulations specific to use of weapons imposed by the Forest Service are that you can’t discharge a weapon within 150 yards of any occupied area or structure/development, or discharge a weapon within or into a cave, across or on a body of water or road, or in any manner that endangers a person. You also can’t use any tracer or incendiary ammunition. Forest Service regulations require that you also comply with all State laws regarding the use of firearms while hunting.

If you are planning on visiting a designated Wilderness Area, the Regional Forester or Forest

Supervisor has the option to implement a special local order which additionally prohibits the mere possession of a firearm within that Wilderness Area. So you should contact the Forest Supervisor's office to find out whether such a restriction has been imposed.

Do be advised that any Ranger Station or Visitors Center run by a federal agency in any National Forest or Wilderness Area is considered a Federal Building. It is illegal to carry any firearm into such a building either concealed or openly even with a CCW from the state the National Forest Ranger Station or Visitors Center.

If there is a state building in the National Forest or Wilderness Area then state law covers carrying firearms into those buildings.

Now I know that LBL is not a National Forest, but it is controlled by the National Forest Service.

The real problem goes back to what is stated in paragraph 4 above...

...the Regional Forester or Forest Supervisor has the option to implement a special local order which additionally prohibits the mere possession of a firearm within that Wilderness Area

IMO the ability to issue special local orders was never intended to allow them to prohibit carry in general.

But anyway....I don't usually OC and don't often go to LBL, so doubt there is much of a problem for me directly.

• 3 months later...

So it sounds like you can carry concealed, unless the ranger decides otherwise. If they do decide to enforce it, what are the penalties? I am planning on going backcountry camping there this fall and would like to take my firearm, but not at the expense of 5 years in the federal pen. :squint:

A fellow hunter was given a ticket and had his ammo taken after being pulled over for speeding two years ago. I know things have changed, but he was more than nice when pulled over. He didn't know about the federal land laws so it was his fault. I would like the law to say YES you can carry or NO you can't carry. No grey area

personally i think the 2nd amendment should apply universally everywhere, with the individual property/business/homeowner having the right to say no weapons, and no a ranger on federal land should not have that right, it is the peoples land....

personally i think the 2nd amendment should apply universally everywhere, with the individual property/business/homeowner having the right to say no weapons, and no a ranger on federal land should not have that right, it is the peoples land....

I agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately we're not there yet. Maybe one day the 2nd will get the same treatment as the 1st. More likely they'll start issuing permits for the 1'st. Doh!

It's coming... Palmer vs Washington DC

• 2 months later...

I don't agree with this part, personally. If I don't want the government disarming me, I wouldn't take too kindly to a private citizen attempting it either.

+2 Come into my house with a firearm when I don't want you to and see how that works out for you. 2A doesn't trump individual property rights.

??

This is about Land Between the Lakes, yes?

US National Recreation Area, managed by US Forest Service.

It's YOUR land, YOU pay for it.

- OS

• Like 1
+2 Come into my house with a firearm when I don't want you to and see how that works out for you. 2A doesn't trump individual property rights.

Well, I don't come on other people's property without permission anyways, so it's kind of a moot point. Also, I am not exactly untrained with firearms, so the outcome probably wouldn't be a foregone conclusion. The right to self defense and property rights are equally important, one is not better than the other.

Anyways, I am going down to LBL for the next few days, I won't be carrying as this doesn't seem to have a clear cut answer.

??

This is about Land Between the Lakes, yes?

US National Recreation Area, managed by US Forest Service.

It's YOUR land, YOU pay for it.

- OS

Read the 2 posts before mine. I'm not talking about LBL. I'm well aware of what you said, but thanks for the caps. I'd never have been able to read it otherwise.

Well, I don't come on other people's property without permission anyways, so it's kind of a moot point. Also, I am not exactly untrained with firearms, so the outcome probably wouldn't be a foregone conclusion. The right to self defense and property rights are equally important, one is not better than the other.

Im glad it's a moot point. I wasn't trying to have a measuring contest, and that wasn't even aimed at you, but I certainly invite you to kick in my door and find out how good your training is.

Im glad it's a moot point. I wasn't trying to have a measuring contest, and that wasn't even aimed at you, but I certainly invite you to kick in my door and find out how good your training is.

I am not advocating burglary, I was mainly speaking of this point for carrying a handgun on a job. Knowing that I obeyed my owner's property rights isn't going to mean much to me if I get shot by a crackhead. Most jobs I have worked at have said no carry, but since it was a gas station, I think I should carry anyways.