Mexican president urges U.S. congress to reinstate assault weapons ban

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HvyMtl

Hmm. I have noticed a lack of coverage on CNN about the speech. Just a small link down the page, in "Politics" and if the person looking does not know the name "Calderon," they wont know what it is about...

MSNBC is also putting it as "Calderon" with no identifier... Again, in a menu low on the page - in the US & World section.

ABC News.com nothing on the front page about it.

Ironically, Fox news has it as the 3rd article, about Calderon slamming Arizona, but no mention of the AWB on the front page.

This may speak volumes.

Fix your own F-'ed up country a##hole!

I'll bet anything Eric Holder encouraged him to do this.

Yep, the guy pissed me off too, and I can't top Garufa for saying how I feel. Holder is another guy, and had nothing to do with the stuff that came out of this a$$hole.

Guest oldsmobile98

Just got a bunch of 20-round G3 mags.

Many thanks to Calderon for reminding us about those like him within our nation who would like to take our freedoms away.

Hopefully we can have him back to speak in late October in order to ensure that American gun owners remember to vote for liberty-minded candidates.

Guest SUNTZU

FOXNews.com - Top Official Says Feds May Not Process Illegals Referred From Arizona

A top Department of Homeland Security official reportedly said his agency will not necessarily process illegal immigrants referred to them by Arizona authorities.

John Morton, assistant secretary of homeland security for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, made the comment during a meeting on Wednesday with the editorial board of the Chicago Tribune, the newspaper reports.

"I don't think the Arizona law, or laws like it, are the solution," Morton told the newspaper.

The best way to reduce illegal immigration is through a comprehensive federal approach, he said, and not a patchwork of state laws.

The law, which criminalizes being in the state illegally and requires authorities to check suspects for immigration status, is not "good government," Morton said.

In response to Morton's comments, DHS officials said President Obama has ordered the Department of Justice to examine the civil rights and other implications of the law.

"That review will inform the government's actions going forward," DHS spokesman Matt Chandler told Fox News on Friday.

Meanwhile, DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano said ICE is not obligated to process illegal immigrants referred to them by Arizona authorities.

"ICE has the legal discretion to accept or not to accept persons delivered to it by non-federal personnel," Napolitano said. "It also has the discretion to deport or not to deport persons delivered to it by any government agents, even its own."

Morton, according to a biography posted on ICE's website, began his federal service in 1994 and has held numerous positions at the Department of Justice, including as a trial attorney and special assistant to the general counsel in the former Immigration and Naturalization Service and as counsel to the deputy attorney general.

Border apprehensions in Arizona, where roughly 500,000 illegal immigrants are estimated to be living, are up 6 percent since October, according to federal statistics. Roughly 6.5 million residents live in Arizona.

Sen. Jeff Sessions, R-AL, said it appeared the Obama administration is "nullifying existing law" and suggested Morton may not be the right person for his post if he fails to enforce federal immigration law.

"If he feels he cannot enforce the law, he shouldn't have the job," Sessions told Fox News. "That makes him, in my view, not fulfilling the responsibilities of his office."

Sessions said the U.S. government has "systematically failed" to enforce federal immigration law and claimed Morton's statement is an indication that federal officials do not plan on working with Arizona authorities regarding its controversial law.

"They're telegraphing to every ICE agency in America that they really don't intend on cooperating with Arizona," Sessions said. "The federal government should step up and do it. It's their responsibility."

Sen. Jeff Sessions, R-AL, said it appeared the Obama administration is "nullifying existing law" and suggested Morton may not be the right person for his post if he fails to enforce federal immigration law.

"If he feels he cannot enforce the law, he shouldn't have the job," Sessions told Fox News. "That makes him, in my view, not fulfilling the responsibilities of his office."

Sessions said the U.S. government has "systematically failed" to enforce federal immigration law and claimed Morton's statement is an indication that federal officials do not plan on working with Arizona authorities regarding its controversial law.

"They're telegraphing to every ICE agency in America that they really don't intend on cooperating with Arizona," Sessions said. "The federal government should step up and do it. It's their responsibility."

Do your job!

Guest nashvegas
Washington (CNN) -- Mexican President Felipe Calderon asked members of the U.S. Congress on Thursday to reinstate a ban on assault weapons to help clamp down on violence in both Mexico and the United States.
Mind your own f***ing business!
Tackling other politically sensitive issues such as immigration, the Mexican leader said, "I strongly disagree with the recently adopted law in Arizona. It is a law that not only ignores a reality that cannot be erased by decree" but also introduces the "terrible idea" that racial profiling is acceptable.

Calderon on Wednesday had characterized the Arizona law as discriminatory.

Calderon said in a briefing to reporters on Wednesday, alongside President Barack Obama. "We oppose firmly" the Arizona law, which is "partial and discriminatory." <!--endclickprintexclude-->
The two countries also face other common challenges, including climate change and organized crime -- a rising threat to border stability, Calderon said Wednesday.
Give me a f***ing break...
Obama on Wednesday noted that his administration is screening 100 percent of southbound rail cargo.
How about screening what's coming northbound??!!

8wgllk.jpg

this makes me want to puke. Our President sells us out and the fools he Lords over giving standing O's. it is insanity. I swear to God if I was a congressman I would have gotten up and walked out. I have no respect for any of them. None.

If this isn't an infringement upon state's rights I don't know what is. Maybe AZ should just adopt the death penalty for anyone found to be an illegal immigrant, that way they don't have to rely on the federal government to do anything.

Guest 6.8 AR
Man, I'm starting to think pitchforks and torches in '10 need to happen.

That is what needs to happen. To every elected politician from the White

House on down.

Guest 6.8 AR

If the feds won't process them, they are breaking federal laws they swore to protect and uphold. that doesn't leave us with many options, does it?

Calderon should have been the first one, Jamie :)

Guest jackdm3
If the feds won't process them, maybe it's time to just start shooting them and throwing the bodies back across the border...

Yeah I know it's harsh, but what else is there to do?

J.

Now THAT would be a new type of border!

If the feds won't process them, maybe it's time to just start shooting them and throwing the bodies back across the border...

Yeah I know it's harsh, but what else is there to do?

J.

Fly them to DC and drop them off at the National Mall.

Guest Jamie
Fly them to DC and drop them off at the National Mall.

If you mean push them out of the back of a C-130 at 30,000 feet, I'm all for it.

( And yes, that's without a parachute. )

J.

who knew something good could come from california

There actually are some sane people in CA, but they don't live in LA, SD, SF, etc. They live out in the Imperial and San Joaquin valleys. It's a part of CA rarely seen.