conceal carry to Disney world

Guest Gillespk

Guest Gillespk

Looking for some advice on carrying to Disney. We will be driving down soon and it will be mostly overnight driving, which is the main reason I want to carry. It seems clear that ccw is frowned upon in the parks and I was not planning on doing that anyway. What I can not find is if it allowable to bring my gun into my room and put it away in the safe. I can not remember if their safes are numeric code each guests sets or keys. I do not want to leave it in the car, but will devise a way of securing and locking it up if that is my only choice.

Any advice on the room safe and if that violates any known Disney rules?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My uncle is a security supervisor for Disney in Orlando and we were having a similar conversation just a couple weeks ago. Disney is very strict, they do not allow any guns or knives on property. They dont even allow off-duty police officers to carry in the parks which has gotten him into some pretty heated arguments with officers. Their take is that it's private property and you can leave if you dont like the rules. I would assume that if you are staying in a room on Disney property that the same rules apply. I completely agree that keeping a gun in your car is a bad idea so my advice would be to put it in your room safe and just keep quiet about it unless someone specifically asks you about weapons.

Guest gw2and4

I'm from Florida originally where I got my first carry permit, and over the years have spent many a night on Disney property as an annual pass holder. We typically drive down there from TN and much of it is after dark. Ain't doing that without a gun in the car...for obvious reasons.

I've never had a problem with concealed carry during my travel to and from Disney property, and have always locked up my carry gun in the room safe. Better there than the car. If there are rules against being armed to/from the hotel, I don't know of them. But then again I've never walked up to Guest Relations and asked about it. Just figured it was my business and no one else's...

Once you get on Disney property, security is reasonable. Leave the gun in your room safe. After all, the happiest place on Earth must also be free of crime, right?

If you have options, I recommend taking a gun you won't kick yourself for losing if something bad happens. I've never had a problem there, but you never know when you'll meet Murphy. Also consider size. A long-barrel Super Redhawk probably ain't gonna fit in that wall safe...but I've never had a problem locking up a Glock 23 in its holster in either an in-wall safe in the Disney hotels like the All-Stars/French Quarter, etc. or the floor safes they have at the LBV Hilton.

PM me if you want more details. I can probably spin your head with Disney nerdness.

Good luck, and have fun.

My understanding of Florida gun laws is that Disney has a special exemption built into them. They, unlike Tennessee, don't even allow employers to forbid guns locked in employees cars on the property. But the loophole is for manufacturers of "explosives". This was put in the law specifically for Disney because they make fireworks. It was written in such a way as to not make it sound like it was only for them, but it was. So basically, Disney is the only place in Florida that can ban you from having a weapon, period.

I left my carry gun in the room safe when I stayed there last. No one asked me about firearms etc., and I never mentioned it. I did not feel a need to try to carry in the park, besides I like rollercoasters and the rest of the wild rides and a gun is a pain to carry on them!

Depends on how long he thinks he can get away with his hand on my wife's ass!

I know, I know...I really shouldn't side track this thread...but I have to ask....

How long can someone get away with their hand on your wife's ass? :cool:

Guest Gillespk

You know, Mickey tends to stay in line since Minnie is usually around. Goofy on the other hand could be a problem. Don't even get me started with those seven dwarfs, reason I carry a hi cap magazine.

Guest jackdm3

This leads me to ask this here instead of creating another thread.

Which Dwarf are you most like among Bashful, Doc, Dopey, Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy, or Sneezy?

I'm 50/50 between Dopey (you all knew that!) and Grumpy as fahk.

Edited by jackdm3

Which resort are you staying at? I am from Central Fl. Don't drive through Orlando without it at the ready. Its a freakin zoo nowadays.

Wife is a teacher and we would chaparone Senior trips/Grad night, etc. Most kids were good but there were always a few who we had to pic up at Disney jail. Best was when a kid was throwing McD's BBQ sauce on space mountain, yep caught on camera even on that dark ride!

Lock it in your room safe, keep it way concealed. Disney has cameras all over their resort property.

I looked into this issue last year when we were down there. It may depend on which Disney resort hotel you are stay in, but the safe in our room at the Caribbean Beach Resort was a key lock safe (and it wasn't very big). We are planning on going again in July and I will be driving this time, so the gun goes with me. As I understand it, guns are prohibited on any Disney property (including rooms), so just don't let someone see it.

Guest Gillespk

I am staying at Bay Lake Towers, new DVC resort connected to Contemporary. Newest resort, so they should have the newest safes. Part of the reason I asked about the carry is this resort has basically one entrance/ all rooms are interior rooms. Many of the other DVC resorts you can park at your building, not this one.

So my plan is as suggested to lock it in the safe upon arrival. But, let's say hypothetically someone saw it or whatever. If security questioned me, have I really done anyting wrong? They do not clearly state the position on the website or anywhere else I could find ( hence why I posted here). Am I right thinking that if it became an issue, ask them to lock it up during my stay and pick it up on the way out (obviously worse case scenario here)

Edited by Gillespk
not so good at typing on the iPhone

If it becomes known. I would think that if you explain your reason (protection while on the road) and be cool about it they should be OK.

I wouldn't carry it to dinner in the resort area.

Its probaly in the fine print at check in. They would probably ask you to leave if they have an issue.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Guest Gillespk

That pretty much sums up my plans. It will go straight from car to safe and not come out again until we leave. Disney parks and areas tend to be safe and I read some pretty impressive things about their security (including the number of plains clothes security all around guests). The only two areas that would concern me are parking lots and Downtown Disney, both of which I do not plan to spend much time in.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Guest TargetShooter84
Which resort are you staying at? I am from Central Fl. Don't drive through Orlando without it at the ready. Its a freakin zoo nowadays.

Wife is a teacher and we would chaparone Senior trips/Grad night, etc. Most kids were good but there were always a few who we had to pic up at Disney jail. Best was when a kid was throwing McD's BBQ sauce on space mountain, yep caught on camera even on that dark ride!

Lock it in your room safe, keep it way concealed. Disney has cameras all over their resort property.

Lol, really? There's really a Disney Jail?

And who knew that Space Mountain would have cameras...must be one of those night vision cameras...impressive! Not surprised though...

Guest lci419

Where are all the comments from the property rights supremacists "The owners have shown me how they feel about me carryin', so I walk with my feet and dollars" crowd???

Guest Gillespk

Here's a funny regarding those cameras.

One of the posts I was reading about plains clothes security at Disney had a former cast member chime in. He was working the control booth for Pirates of the Carribean. He shared a story of one night during the fireworks a couple got on the ride and were pretty much all alone. The way he told it, the guys in the booth that night got to watch fireworks also.

Guest ADAM

So my plan is as suggested to lock it in the safe upon arrival. But, let's say hypothetically someone saw it or whatever. If security questioned me, have I really done anyting wrong? They do not clearly state the position on the website or anywhere else I could find ( hence why I posted here). Am I right thinking that if it became an issue, ask them to lock it up during my stay and pick it up on the way out (obviously worse case scenario here)

Last summer we went to Disney and stayed at the French Quarter. When we checked in my little girl decided to throw a temper tantrum(rode in car to long), as I went to remove her from the check in counter I bent over and picked her up the security officer that was there saw my pistol on my back. He politely pulled me to the side and told me that I wasnt allowed to bring any sort of weapon on the park premises or at the resorts. He did tell me that they will check your gun at the security office,(piss on that idea) then he turned around and told me to put in the safe in my room and he didnt see a thing. Gun went in the safe for the remander of the week. He was very understanding.

Guest Glock23ForMe
Last summer we went to Disney and stayed at the French Quarter. When we checked in my little girl decided to throw a temper tantrum(rode in car to long), as I went to remove her from the check in counter I bent over and picked her up the security officer that was there saw my pistol on my back. He politely pulled me to the side and told me that I wasnt allowed to bring any sort of weapon on the park premises or at the resorts. He did tell me that they will check your gun at the security office,(piss on that idea) then he turned around and told me to put in the safe in my room and he didnt see a thing. Gun went in the safe for the remander of the week. He was very understanding.

Two nights later... Disney's SRT Team complete with Mickey ears bust open your door and scream "¡Policia!" complete with their toy guns and silly string spray...